Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2012/01/24 22:19:51 (permalink)

Trouble in the Hood II

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11120117

About 4 minutes
Urban cries for indepth salvation. (Christian content!)
Hood Rats: Philip, Danny, Josh, Joy
Composition, lyrics groove, and arrangement: Philip
Instruments and percussives ... synths, piano, cabasas: Philip
Bass guitar, rhythm, lead, and solo guitars: Danny
Verse Lyrics and Verse Vox: Danny
This song arose spuriously during last year's troubles. While I again consulted the help of Danny and his timeless guitars ... he offered so much more ...

This song is duly dedicated to Danny Danzi, whose vibe, courage, late night compassion, friendship and sympathy, and 'urban prayer' has enabled this song to be my fav to date.

Some technical notes:
1) The original was mastered by Danzi for pop radio and such
2) This version, however, is a hybrid production: a post-production for more skate/dance antics.
3) I employed Ozone's Matching EQ to match Danzi's EQ on the master (1st verse) ... so I could edit seamlessly.
4) Finally, I slapped the Slate FG-X Limiter with automation envelopes on transient controls, lo-punch (kick transients), and details (upper mid transients). (The Slate Limiter sports transient enhancers for beatz type genres)

Please comment, crit, insult, etc.
Thanks in advance!

post edited by Philip - 2012/01/25 08:11:00

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

22 Replies Related Threads

bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/25 00:17:37 (permalink)
    I think you have quite a sound here Phillip... 

I might pull the beginning vox back a bit where you say, "bless me Lord Jesus, for I have sinned, this thing called life won't let me win." Or maybe make it wetter? However, please acknowledge that I think this and the last round, were "incredible..." So any of my input? ESPECIALLY on notebook speakers... Should be taken with much salt. Where your child comes in at 1:50? Sounds angry or something, it's difficult for me to quantify. Seems to fit much better @ 2:45.

We all need Salvation... I wish I could write such music.

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/25 03:27:42 (permalink)
    Hi, Philip,

This is really a spectacular production!

Very unique songwriting and arrangement, with a ton of really cool textures and elements woven throughout the song with dynamite performances by everyone involved, and Danny's guitars really sound outstanding.

You've really developed a very cool style all your own, Philip, with a great trademark sound, and the mix sounds modern and very professional.

You really hit this one out of the park, my friend, fantastic work! 
    Bob

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/25 06:53:13 (permalink)
    Danny and Philip,
    this is very special!  This and part I will become Josh's legacy. 

even without the emotions that this brings up hearing Josh in the song, this is an incredible production.  I have no nit picks on it, I would have done a couple of things differently, but there's nothing "wrong" - just personal preferences.

Bravo!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/25 07:02:48 (permalink)
    Wow! This sure is different from any gospel song I've ever heard! Lots of great stuff happening throughout! Great job, gentlemen!!!!

String Jammer
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/25 09:28:51 (permalink)
    Bob Oister

You've really developed a very cool style all your own, Philip, with a great trademark sound, and the mix sounds modern and very professional. 

Bob

I have to agree with Bob... I could not have said it better...
    well done...
    Frank 

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/25 13:33:02 (permalink)
    Very unique.  I can't fault anything about this.  Your writing and recording chops are top notch.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Philip
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/25 17:15:08 (permalink)
    Lynn: Thanks so much for your encouragement and kind words ... also your faithful listens to all of us aspiring performers.  I look forward to your next offering.

Frank: I appreciate your validation; while I 'copy' many genres, its nice to have a trademark sound, etc. ... per Bob

Bob: I probably should have widened the guitar further, for vox room in the middle, like you.  Speaking of trademark, you have that trademark rock sound that is instantly recognizable!  Anyway thanks for your most thoughtful encouragement.

Robbie: Yeah!  This was spurious and a bit quirky in areas ... but it all panned out for fun, salvation, etc. 

Danny rapped the verses pretty wet (I personally thought) ... in that he used autotune's avox Anatares mutator (pmt) ... to mold and thicken his 'cr&p hood vox'.  Interestingly, it is rare for Danny to use pitch-correction ... but between my Melodyne and his Avox, we reached a happy hood vox.

Scotty: Thanks for your spruce listen and encouragement!

Beagle:  I thoroughly appreciate your comments on all levels. Yeah; this was Josh's vibe and 'final battle-cry', which I believe God had conspired (implanted) within him ... before his departure, iirc.

Fortunately, on that Sunday, the sweet lad had 'finished his course' with great love toward God, his family, and his church ... chanting the dreadful invokation ("raise me save me Lord") ... the very day it pleased the Lord to take him.
    post edited by Philip - 2012/01/27 22:00:41

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/25 17:31:20 (permalink)
    Wow I like it even better than the last one. The rap sections sound totally authentic, rest of the vocals were superb. Instrumentation and solo was top notch, as expected. The chorus to me has a bit of a show tune quality to it, kind of reminds me of some of the music from old Sid and Marty Croft shows I remember from growing up. Brilliant job on this one you guys.

Me

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/25 18:10:27 (permalink)
    Thanks for the dedication, Philip. That was an awesome gesture! I've always liked this song and felt we did a pretty good job on it. Some of it was definitely a challenging...especially that rap part! My dad listened to it a few weeks ago and said "that can't be you...are you serious?!" :) Ya gotta hit the Ebonics right to start with or no plug you use will help. LOL! For the record, I used Antares Mutator on that to tweak the timbre. The Avox wasn't as strong and sounded a bit fake.

I like the mix you came up with here. (still like mine better hahahahaha!) A bit on the low end side for my taste and well, you know my opinion of that Slate piece. I don't like what it did to your piano...it sucked the dynamics right out of it in my opinion and added a bit of dirt to the whole piece. Some guys like that...me, I've fought my whole life to remove dirt from my recordings so it's not something I welcome. But you did a good job on this...definitely acceptable and I'm honored to have such a powerful piece dedicated to me. So I thank you for that. You and your family will always be in my heart and in my prayers. Thank you again for this as well as all the times we've worked together. I appreciate and respect you as much as you do me. Utmost blessings and admiration my brother.

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    chasmcg
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/25 18:53:48 (permalink)
    Great production!
    thalweg
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 571
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/25 19:01:37 (permalink)
    A complex mix that is very lush, crisp, well balanced and unique.

My Music/Video Channel:

www.youtube.com/tonehook
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/25 20:07:44 (permalink)
    Great job, both of you.  So original, Philip and an incredible production.  

What a blessing to have had such a wonderful son.  I know you miss him terribly.  I'm glad it's not forever...but I know it seems like that now.

Very well done, all of you!  
    ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/25 20:43:18 (permalink)
    WOW, I was not expecting that! Excellent work on this one guys, sounds like it was a complicated mix and you hit it perfect.  This sounds great.  Very Very nice.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/27 17:44:35 (permalink)
    hey Philip great tune as ever. i think this one is a little bass-heavy at times, but i like how you throw hip-hop, rap, pop and rock into a Kenwood and come out with something coherent and musical. your future, if you know it or not, lies in musical theatre, you can create a mood within a bar or two. i really wish you were Catholic and producing mass music!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Philip
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/27 22:45:33 (permalink)
    OhGrant: Thanks for utmost encouragement and thoughtful remembrances.

Danzi III: Sorry about confusing the avox with the mutator; others cited this version as base intensive and would doubtless have preferred your studio version. 

I always hope to enlist your help and collabs ... as someone once stated: "nothing gets by Danny".  Your frank wit is always spot-on for all us musicians and our neuroses ... you're the physician of musicians.

Chasmcg: Thanks for your swift listen and encouragement

Thalweg: I always consider you a super-musician!  This was actually simpler than most of my pieces ... since much of the grooves were samples ... alls I had to do was 'dribble' a bit during emotional havoc.

Janet: As always, thanks for your sympathy and prayers these last few months.  Death is no respecter of persons, but love is.  I've always recognized God's conspiracies as great love ... to steer man's pride amuck where it belongs ... and replace sin with humility, godly-shame, heavenly joy, and majestic music, etc.

ChuckC: Utmost thanks brother for all your glancings and thoughts.  I hope to learn a lot with you.

MGH: Yeah, you validate Danny about it being bass heavy in sections.  Its not so bass heavy in traffic -- hahahaha!

Danny stated to me he's a Catholic.  I was raised near his Philly neighborhoods and was a devout Catholic (alter boy and all) ... and really do have the Catholic mass quite memorized.  Danny opens with the Catholic confession "Bless me Jesus for I have sinned" ... which also seems a Mafia invokation by tradition.  So I embraced this as a 'hood cry' ... till the kids could perchance make it real in the chorus ... and send the cry heavenward.  Danny also validated the verse-chorus transition: With hood inokations progressing unto utmost innocence ... crying heavenward.

... but after God dealt with me 30 years ago ... I totally freaked out with all the superflous Catholic and Protestant idolatry, incantations, and rituals -- hahahahah!  Of course, I don't do birthdays and holidays very well either.

Anyway Mark, I always love your crits and music ... you've always been loving, thoughtful, and a real band composer-producer with utmost wit.

Philip  

BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/27 23:37:44 (permalink)
    Well I must admit, I didn't know what to expect Philip.  Interesting I like the feel and the mix is excellent.  Loved the pitch shift voice, I want more of that.

Ok I still don't know what to make of this tune, it has so many twits and turns and I am a bit worried about the whole "god" thing but this is an excellent tune.

Super impressed Philip

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    agape
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/28 00:42:28 (permalink)
    Good stuff there.
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/28 09:17:35 (permalink)
    I hear the taste of your tunes from a while back but a whole new dimension added.  You are churning out some really good tunes.  I'm sure Danny is a great help.  Collab gives us new ideas and expands our abilities, IMHO.  This really sounds like a Philip song, but not!  Great job by you all.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/28 14:03:49 (permalink)
    This is really nice!

I like the song and how it flows from one section to the next. I especially love the sound of the bass.

I was raised cathollic as well. I don't accept that nonsense anymore. Truth be told, I would not mind christianity so much if it weren't for christians. I believe in the messages Jesus taught but christianity doesn't teach them.

Very well done!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/28 21:21:51 (permalink)
    All very nice, but I especially like the mix and tone you got on the vocals.  What's your mic?

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/29 09:23:32 (permalink)
    Hi Philip,

Amazing mix of genres that ultimately sounds like no one but you! Incredible mix and production by you and Danny.

Great job.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Trouble in the Hood II 2012/01/29 10:02:10 (permalink)
    Wow!  Complex arrangement and parts and overall very anthem like.  Great job to all. 

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1