Exporting tracks as wav. files...

Author
docgorpon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2012/02/01 11:17:55 (permalink)

Exporting tracks as wav. files...

Is there any easier way to do this? I simply mute all the tracks except the one I want to export, and then do an export wav. But it 'mixes down'. Seems like I could do something different. Also, for some reason, the finished product (wav. file) ends up being a slightly lesser volume than the original track.

1 Reply Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Exporting tracks as wav. files... 2012/02/02 09:40:36 (permalink)

Hi there Sam

If I remember correctly, you're running GTPro3?

To answer the first part of your question, GT3 will export the track you 'Select', as opposed to which are soloed or muted. To select your track, just (left) click on the track number in the Track Pane (to the left of the audio waveform area in Track View) - you should notice that only the clips in that track are 'highlighted':

This method will result in only the selected track being exported. Note that you can export any number of tracks - just hold down the Ctrl key on your PC keyboard while clicking on all the tracks you wish to export together:

Note that the .wav file you export will be the same length as your project (the shaded selected area for each track extends to the end of the final clip in the project). This is usually referred to as exporting a 'Stem'. It's a great way of exporting your parts if, for example, you are collaborating with someone else on the same project; providing you both have the same start point (and tempo) any stems you share will automatically line up perfectly when you import them into your respective projects. It also means that if you are exporting a track to be processed outside of GT3 (in a hardware effect e.g.), it will align perfectly when you re-import it into your project.

If, however, you want to export just the audio in a track, or even just a single clip, regardless of the length of the project, you can do that as well. To export a single clip, just (left) click on it to select it (as opposed to selecting the whole track as outlined above) and then export:

To export multiple clips in the same track or in multiple tracks, just hold down the Ctrl key while selecting them - the mix down will begin at the start of the earliest selected clip and finish at the end of the latest:

As to the second part of your question, my suggestion would be that you check your routing carefully. Make certain that the only output in your project that is being sent to your soundcard is your Master Bus. For example, if you have a track that is being outputted directly to your soundcard, what you hear while playing the project in GT3 may be quite different to the mix that is actually being mixed down to a wave file by GT3.

If you're unsure about using busses, check out Bob's excellent tutorial HERE.

Hope that all makes sense Sam, shoot back with any further questions if you're not sure on anything.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1