Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?)

Author
Freddy J
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2348
2012/02/12 22:40:12 (permalink)

Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?)

Hi all!  I have been listening to some of the new African music recently.  I have been particularly blown away by a number by Rokia Traore called "Tounka."  By this stage of my life I should know my limitations better, but I got enthused by this style of music and thought that I would try a number in one of the world beat styles.  Oh well --- I tried.  At least I got to play the mbira that I bought last summer.  By the way the song photo is of a mbira that I just finished building.  Oh ya, the phrase "do what you can and can what you can't " was a saying that my grandmother used to encourage us to do our best.

I appreciated the advice that helped me improve the mix on my last number, and I would appreciate any comments, crit's., suggestions, etc. on this number.

Thanks 

Do What You Can
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=963481

Freddy J

19 Replies Related Threads

ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/13 06:57:47 (permalink)
    Hey Freddy!

Cool stuff man! And it's your first attempt on this kind of rythm? Well done! I thought it had a cool wibe to it. And the story behind the chorus line there and the fact that this is your first attempt on World Beat style music is really, really cool!

My suggestions is to pull back the vocals a little - they're somewhat overwhelming in the mix. Also, I'd get more of the percussion and rythm guitars, bass etc more to the front and make the entire mix a little more bottom heavy. The kick and bass seem absent and this is needed to strengthen the groove the way this piece deserves.

Also, I'm not to keen on the organ solo. To me, it's a little simple and lacking "life". The sound could work, the melody doesn't. The song is really exciting throughout and this little bit should at least acompany that or even improve on it. I'd start experiementing with that

All in all, pretty cool stuff! I really like the singing. I will check out your other tunes as well.

Well done!
    post edited by ProjectM - 2012/02/13 06:59:08

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/13 08:37:23 (permalink)
    Agree with ProjectM.  Bring up the bass and kick too.  Needs more fullness.  I like the hook - it's catchy!  

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/13 09:04:42 (permalink)
    I am alone this morning, wife gone to work, so I have my monitors jammed up.  Now, they have excellent sound and I have to say, so does your song.  That keyboard or whatever it is does sound a bit lifeless BUT kinda fits with the simplicity of the song.  Nice move to another sound, Freddy.  You're definitely moving into different areas of sound, buddy!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/13 10:46:22 (permalink)
    I agree with the others; this needs a bit more bass to glue the rhythms together.  I think it will enhance the cool beats you have going.  Your vocal is loud enough, and I would boost the other instruments rather than decrease the vocal.  Once you get it right, this song will be very catchy and fun to listen to.  

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    LanceJ
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 331
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/13 14:04:50 (permalink)
    I think a live performance of this song would be awesome.  I envision a big stage where you can let the rhythm run full, extended and loud.  It would move the audience. Make room for dancing.

It has the feel of "Spill the Wine" to me.

Nice work.

Regards,
    Lance 

Keeping it simple

www.sonusproject.com
    Sonar X3d 64 bit , Exclusively using software synths & FX, D-Pro, Rapture, zt3a+2
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, GPO3, Garritan Jazz & Big Band, EastWest, Chris Hein Horns, Presonus FireStudio Project Audio Interface, Roland A80 Midi Controller, Tannoy 501A Monitors  

Win 7 Pro 64, I7-2600, 8GB DDR3, w/Firewire

Freddy J
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/14 00:34:30 (permalink)
    Hi Marius.  Thanks for the encouragement and for the good advice.  I am glad that you liked it.  I have followed up on cranking up the bass, bringing the instrumentation more forward, and EQ'ing the Kick to give it more punch.  Hopefully, it sound a wee bit better.  Thanks again.

And I agree with you both.  Bass, kick, and all instrumentation have been tweaked and hopefully this helps.  Thanks for you lending you ears and for the feedback Rimshot!

Hey Warren.  Thanks buddy.  Every once in a while I have to step out of the comfort zone and fool around with something different.  Sometime it works but more often it doesn't --- but my "stepin' out" always comes back to the Blues (sounds like a song title doesn't it).  Thanks again for the listen and comments.

Message received and actions (hopefully the right ones) taken.  I did boost up the instruments rather than cut the vox.  Thanks Lynn -- I appreciate the feedback and your taking time to listen.

Hey Lance!  Hey "Spill the Wine" is something good to sound like and what you describe sounds like a lot of fun!!  Thanks for the kind comments and for listening.

Freddy J

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/14 10:06:18 (permalink)
    Same beat as "Real Man" by Robben Ford... my band still plays that one... cool tune, hook... I like it... well done Freddy
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/15 22:06:43 (permalink)
    Freddy, this is just the coolest tune man - you have become such an entertaining artist. Love the sound of this - love your playing.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/15 22:15:54 (permalink)
    Cool tune and great sounding production

Me

bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/15 22:20:29 (permalink)
    I commented on this? But my comment is not here. Cest La Vi...

So I will re-comment. 

World schmerald! This is rockabilly (Fredaaaaay) "in disguise." 

World! LOL! 

You know, I can't do Kate Upton? (2012 Sports Illustrated cover model?) Not only can I not do her? But I can't can her either? Trust me... If I could mess with Kate Upton's can? Well... I'd be all up in there! 

This was different from you? (a little) I liked it? But I like most of your stuff. :-)

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/16 10:53:50 (permalink)
    I think it's still rockabilly. I think the music you listened to just inspired something in you that is just great. The song is great. I don't think any of us can get away from our core but outside influences definitly make our core better.

I think it sounds congested around 200hz to 400hz. It may be the toms causing this.

Very well done!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/18 00:28:16 (permalink)
    Hey Freddy
    I think you have plenty of advice so I'll stick to saying I really enjoyed this piece. Looking forward to hearing your next production. KUDOS!

Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/18 06:11:39 (permalink)
    This reminds me of the Beach Combers music of the 60's. Nice marimba!

String Jammer
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/18 09:04:48 (permalink)
    Did not hear the first mix but what I am listening to now sounds fine.  Thanks for sharing

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/18 20:37:03 (permalink)
    Yea I am not hearing the african vibe to much either, although I can hear a little coming through on the guitar line.  Also it has a gospel vibe too thanks to the way you have layered the vocals.

So what you have here for me is rockabilly/surf african and gospel so perhaps you have actually succeeded in putting up a "world" music track.

Whatever way you put it, it's a good song.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/19 18:59:36 (permalink)
    Great song and cool instrument you made.  I agree..it's fun to try something different.  I've heard that quote before too...way to work it into a song.  :) 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/20 09:31:38 (permalink)
    I was getting a strong "War" Spill the Wine vide as well.

Cool tune . Wise saying too. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/20 09:39:01 (permalink)
    That's an interesting one Freddy! It does have a nice lo-fi groove, and there is a little 'township' vibe here and there. Honestly though, I don't like the thin, nasally guitar tones at all, they spoil it for me.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Freddy J
    Re:Do What You Can and Can What You Can't (African World Beat --- sort of, maybe?) 2012/02/20 21:47:50 (permalink)
    Thank you Frank!  I sure wish I could play like Robben Ford.

Hey Mark.  Thank you my friend.  I am having fun right now trying out new stuff but eventually I always gotta go back to the Blues.

Thank you Grant.  I appreciate the kind words.

Hi Robbaaaaay!  Rockabilly, Rockabilly but but but Rockabilly doesn't have any hallejulah chorus in the background or mbiras playing in it.  Does it??   Thanks for the listen and comments.

Hi Robert.  Well maybe it is a wee bit Rockabilly-ish?  I do love Rockabilly, Blues, Cool Jazz, African Beat, Jump Blues, and Western Swing.  I just occured to me that they all have one thing in common --- they are all heavy on rhythm.  I must be, as Carl Perkins put in one of his songs, "rhythm bound".  Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment.  I'll take another listen to see if I can "prescribe" something for the conjestion.

Kev, how are you?  I am glad that you liked it and thanks for the good words!

Thanks for the listen and for commenting Scotty.  Beach Combers music --- it must be the rhythm ;>)

John -- thanks for listening and for commenting.  You didn't miss much by missing the first mix.  It was pretty rough and needed some work.  Thanks again.

Hi Ben.  I think that you have nailed it --- rockabilly/surf/african/gospel  --- a new genre maybe?  I appreciate your taking time to comment.  Thanks.

Hello Janet!  Thanks for the kind words --- ya, I'm just trying to have a bit of fun.  Thanks for noticing the mbira.  Now I just have to figure out how to get it tuned right.

Hello Herb!  Thanks for taking the time to comment.  Spill the Wine -- oh-oh, I hope I don't get any copyright suits ;>)  Ya, my grandmum (from whom I got this saying) was a pretty sharp lady.  Thanks again.

Hi James.  Thanks for listening and commenting.  I think that Ben identified the appropriate genre above (lol).  I'm sorry that you didn't like the sound of the guitar.  I was trying to get something that sounded kind of hollow and treble-ish  ---  not like the standard rock guitar.  I guess that I missed the mark.  Thanks again.

Freddy J

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1