"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original

Author
ChuckC
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1488
2012/02/15 00:10:06 (permalink)

"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original

Here's a new one I just finished up for our album release next month.   I've learned some new tricks/tools and I really like the way it came out (Among others, parallel compression -kinda fattened it up a bit and the Ferric TDS plug that Jonbouy recommended helped too!).

I am on lead vocals on this one.  It's probably the 1st song I have ever just written the lyrics to music as the rest of the guys were writting the music.  I usually write lyrics first.  The goal was to put out at least one heavy hard hitting song because so many local acts here are heavy heavy bands and some of them seem to think that because we act like we are enjoying ourselves (and we are) on stage that we somehow aren't as tough or cool as them.  HAHA!   This one blows em out of the freakin water.
Enjoy!  and of course your comments are appreciated!

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11440613&q=hi

-Chuck

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
http://www.everythingiam.net/
http://www.stormroomstudios.com
Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios

20 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/15 10:44:55 (permalink)
    You really nailed this mix.  It has all the elements of a hard rock song from the driving drums and bass guitar to the killer guitar sounds.  Your vocal is well performed and mixed just right.  Even at low volume this song cooks.  You definitely have the touch.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    DragonLips
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 133
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/15 11:25:44 (permalink)
    This one is a blast! I'd love to hear more on what you used for the guitars and how you mixed them. !

Vocals are well done.  Guitars are tight.  My only slight criticism is around the drums. They sound great, but the groove becomes too monotonous at times.  I especially notice this as the guitars pick up in the verse and start chugging..the drums never really change or increase in energy or dynamics until the chorus.  Other than that- sweet, sweet track!
    post edited by DragonLips - 2012/02/15 11:30:28

O/S Win 7 Pro x64
    MacBook Pro   
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k
    EVGA P67 SLI
    Memory, 16gb, DDR 3 @ 1866mhz
    WD Caviar SATA III drive (O/S) 
    Seagate 1TB , WD1.5TB SATA II 
    UAD 2 Solo (2) 
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
    Nvidia- 8800 GT
    Sonar X1D Expanded
    Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/15 12:25:15 (permalink)
    WOW!

I've never heard your stuff before but I've noticed your enthusiasm around the forums to the end of trying to get things right.

Not my genre but I enjoyed the track immensely.  I loved the drums on this, punchy and on point.  I'm listening on cans so you can take this with a pinch of salt but some of the guitars seem a bit too panned apart in places for my liking.  Some of the better rock guitar music mixers here will have some wiser input on that than me.  Sounds great as a whole though.

Other than that this was an awesome chunk of rockin' goodness from a great sounding band. Kudos.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/02/15 12:26:50

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    ChuckC
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/15 14:50:19 (permalink)
    Lynn- Thank you for the compliments on the song, the mix, and my developing skills.

Dragonlips-  Thank you aswell.  The guitars (Left & Right) are each recorded the same way...  1 take with 2 different mic's. and sm 57' & an Ev Cobalt, both off axis on each of the 2 lower speakers of a 4x12 cab, Eq'd and blended to taste.     Generally the 57' is 100% out and I think the EV is about 60%   (L/R)  both tracks sent to a bus with a single sonitus comp used conservatively.  Then I added a send from each bus to a separate bus  together for parrallel compression  where I kinda set the threshold low, with a pretty fast attack/release til I had the (sonitus) compressor kinda jumping in rythem with the music.  I blended that comp bus in just enough to fatten the tone.
      Thanks about the drums, and I understand, though I like the performance.  JJ is one hel of a drummer and has pretty good intuition on when not to overplay and when to really go to town as long as the song calls for it.

Jonbouy-  Thanks man!  Yep, I am a bit of a perfectionist which is tough when the you realize that it's not perfect because of you, not inspite of you.   What I mean is learning has been fun, and I am learning and reading as much as I can, as fast as I can.  I don't like to suck at doing anything.  I think I am coming along fairly quickly though.  I appreciate your listening and yer opinion.  I know I have the guitars a bit separated.  It becomes real obvious during the dueling leads as I had each of them play it just like they do live (there is no consistent rythem track throughout the lead section)  but, that's how it is live so....Screw it!  haha

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/15 17:53:21 (permalink)
    Real cool tunage as always and you have sure come along way. Sounds like a pretty top notch production to my ears. Love your vox on this. Everything recorded and mixed nicely. Superb job miking and mixing the drums,love that snare. A+ song A+ production from me.

Me

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/15 18:07:10 (permalink)

Very cool Chuck ! You guys have a great band , best of luck with your music . I enjoyed your music , the mix sounded great in my ears !

Radio

ChuckC
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/15 21:05:35 (permalink)
    Ohgrant- Thank you sir...  Pro production sound is the brass ring I am stretching for from my modest project studio!  I'd love to take credit for micing the drums however...  this was a performance recorded midi from my V kit, sent through session drummer and doctored up from there.

Thank you Radio!  This is one of the better bands I have ever been in, and it's more fun than anything I have done before. 

Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/16 11:14:09 (permalink)
    This is definitly nice and heavy. I love it!

The vox could come up a bit. It seems the bass and guitars are masking. Maybe roll of the guitars a touch and take out the bass a bit at around 400hz. The lead on the left was buried then the one on the right was fine.

Great song! I like how it starts.

Funny story about your local scene. When I was in college there were those who weren't happy unless the singer sounded "pissed off". The only problem was they were all mama's boys. lol! Forget those guys and just keep rockin!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    congalocke
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 252
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/16 23:19:21 (permalink)
    ChuckC, Well done...I am listening on laptop speakers and it translates well. Nice work!;-)
    ChuckC
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/17 18:19:56 (permalink)
    Guitarpima- Thanks dude! 

Congalocke- Thanks for listening.  I just got a new HP laptop myself that actually has a pretty decent little sound system in it and this song sounds good on here too.

whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/17 18:27:46 (permalink)
    genre nailed for sure. Production is vgood on this chuck, i read a post recently where you were despairing over the mix of your tracks and to be honest this was enjoyable to listen to, a lot better that what I can put out.Keep at it.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    ChuckC
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/17 22:13:51 (permalink)
    Thank you Whack,   Other than some very helpful advice (which is also available to you here too) there has been no magic wand to what improvements I have made over the past 6 months.  It just took a lot of hours at the helm and trial & error.  I didn't do anything that you couldn't do I am sure.   I am a bit of a perfectionist and so I drive myself crazy trying to get it "right".

Btw... I have this one pretty much where I want it and I am happy about that and I take some pride in it when I feel I got it there, but I have already learned that it doesn't mean the next one will be any easier for me.  I have had songs come out real well before then the next project throws me a curveball I haven't seen yet and I am lost again.   It's a constant battle to gain experiance and knowledge.  Putting in your dues as they say.

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/17 22:40:35 (permalink)
    Great sound! You really seem to know what you're doing!

String Jammer
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/18 08:50:13 (permalink)
    Great tune and great playing.

THe only thing I would say is that your left/right guitars need something to balance themselves, they are kinda on islands out there by themselves. Try this:
    add a buss
    put on a short room reverb at 100% reverb mix
    on the two guitars, add a send to this reverb bus, but pan it 100% to the opposite side of where the track is panned
    adjust to taste

This way there is a little stereo image on the opposite side of each guitar and it feels a lot more full when you have headphones on.
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/18 10:35:13 (permalink)
    Well done! This is awesome and really make me want to revisit some old and more grungy roots of mine! (getting sick of black and death metal

This sounds great - a tad much reverb on the snare for this style IMO. But I love the mix on this, drums, guitars, bass and vox sounds just right to me. It really works! I love have you 've hard panned the guitars and left the melodic and solo parts to each their side as well. That takes balls these days

Good luck finishing up the album and let us know when you're done. I'd like to get my hands on a copy when it's out!

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    ChuckC
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/18 10:48:20 (permalink)
    James- That is something I could easily try as I already have a verb bus set up with a send from each instrument going to it.   When I solo the verb bus I adjust the sends and mix that on it's own.  I kinda have a mental picture where I try to imaging... if this band was playing an arena and I was back in the pisser what would it sound like?  haha  I get that little submix on the verb bus right and then mix it in till I notice it, then pull it down a bit.  I want it where you don't really notice it's there but you'd notice if it was missing.

ProjectM- good ears!  Even though I have a send from the drum bus going to my verb bus, the snare didn't seem to have enough, so I put a 2nd send directly from the snare track.   thank you for the compliments and wanting a copy of the album is one of the best compliments in and of itself.  I appreciate it!

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/18 11:14:30 (permalink)
    nice job... all the way around. sounds good on the computer. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    PGShadow
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/20 14:40:24 (permalink)
    Nice job all around bro!! \m/ (>_<) \m/ I'm listening on cans and sounds great. Only thing I'd tweek...and this just the bass player in me talkin, just a little more kick during the chorus. I could be wrong because of the cans, but I'll check it out on my modest project studio later today.
    2 thumbs up tho!! 
    post edited by PGShadow - 2012/02/20 14:58:31

Gateway FX/intel i7-860/ 8gig DDR3/ 1TB Drive/Win7-64/ Sonar 8.5Pro/X1Pro/X2Pro w/QF308/Tascam US-1641/Yamaha HS-50 Monitor's & HS-10sub/ Digitech GnX3 guitar processor/ Digitech BP100 Bass processor/ART DSP II preamp/ MXL 770 &990/ Yamaha RM50 Drum Brain,Custom Mesh head Kit/ rack "O" toyz......And ONE BIG VIsa bill
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/20 21:18:35 (permalink)
    Powerful!

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    PGShadow
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re:"Throw Me a Line" - New hard rock original 2012/02/21 15:18:20 (permalink)
    Took another couple of listens on the studio system...do you have a big verb on the drum? if so dail back how it effects the low end of the verb, the punchie-ness of the kick sorta gets lost down there. Just suggestions,I like to feel a kick pounding me in the chest. But its still a powerful tune.
    Rock on!!

Gateway FX/intel i7-860/ 8gig DDR3/ 1TB Drive/Win7-64/ Sonar 8.5Pro/X1Pro/X2Pro w/QF308/Tascam US-1641/Yamaha HS-50 Monitor's & HS-10sub/ Digitech GnX3 guitar processor/ Digitech BP100 Bass processor/ART DSP II preamp/ MXL 770 &990/ Yamaha RM50 Drum Brain,Custom Mesh head Kit/ rack "O" toyz......And ONE BIG VIsa bill
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1