Particle Play!

Author
jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
2012/02/19 15:50:27 (permalink)

Particle Play!

This track is from my 10th CD release.
Created in Sonar, orchestrated only with soft synths.

www.jerrygerber.com/particleplay.htm

8 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Particle Play! 2012/02/19 16:54:40 (permalink)
    This tune managed to hold my interest because it actually went in a number of different directions while having a common thread.  A song like this can get boring pretty quickly if there is no song structure, yet this song has structure which gives it depth.  I also play with my soft synths a bit, and it can be pretty seductive just holding one note and letting the synth write a song for you.  It still takes judgement to know when there's not enough cake or too much icing.  You seem to have struck a balance with this piece.  As far as the production goes, it's very good.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Particle Play! 2012/02/19 17:13:30 (permalink)
    I like it.  

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    jsg
    Re:Particle Play! 2012/02/19 17:39:58 (permalink)
    Lynn

This tune managed to hold my interest because it actually went in a number of different directions while having a common thread.  A song like this can get boring pretty quickly if there is no song structure, yet this song has structure which gives it depth.  I also play with my soft synths a bit, and it can be pretty seductive just holding one note and letting the synth write a song for you.  It still takes judgement to know when there's not enough cake or too much icing.  You seem to have struck a balance with this piece.  As far as the production goes, it's very good.

Thanks Lynn.  I attribute that ability to my many years of studying classical music; counterpoint, harmony, 20th century techniques, orchestration and score analysis.   I didn't realize how useful these disciplines have proven when it comes to working with soft synths and electronic instruments in general.  I always teach my students that the primary point of studying classical music theory is to make the ear more sensitive to nuance, form and detail.   The more deeply we're hearing all the details in music, the better music we will make.

JG
    www.jerrygerber.com
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Particle Play! 2012/02/19 18:16:04 (permalink)
    needs some bottom.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

jsg
    Re:Particle Play! 2012/02/19 18:37:06 (permalink)
    timidi

needs some bottom.

No, it does not.  This was mastered on $5000 Adam monitors, and I can assure you the bass is quite nicely balanced.  Check your playback system, on the other hand, if you're coming from a stylistic background where the bottom end is always vastly louder (out of balance) than the other frequencies, then, yes, for your tastes it "needs some bottom".

JG
    www.jerrygerber.com
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Particle Play! 2012/02/19 19:26:10 (permalink)
    JSG, it is a bit bass shy on my system too.  Mids and highs are really nice!  

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Particle Play! 2012/02/20 09:15:15 (permalink)
    yep... compared to other songs I have been listening to this morning form this forum..... it is a bit light on the bottom. 

While it's cool to use $5k monitors.... don't use them as an excuse. As Rim said, the mids and highs are very nice. 

At around 2 minutes in there is bass in there..... so...OK it's there. And I have to admit a propensity for a nice fat bass...... so I'll qualify that with ...."In my humble opinion" ..... 

OK... the song is cool.... not something I listen to very much, but I can appreciate what you have done. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jsg
    Re:Particle Play! 2012/02/20 12:55:28 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

yep... compared to other songs I have been listening to this morning form this forum..... it is a bit light on the bottom. 

While it's cool to use $5k monitors.... don't use them as an excuse. As Rim said, the mids and highs are very nice. 

At around 2 minutes in there is bass in there..... so...OK it's there. And I have to admit a propensity for a nice fat bass...... so I'll qualify that with ...."In my humble opinion" ..... 

OK... the song is cool.... not something I listen to very much, but I can appreciate what you have done. 

I certainly don't consider mastering on expensive Adam S3A speakers an excuse.  They are among the finest, most honest speakers around.  If there's a problem with a mix, these speakers will most definitely reveal it.  I think if a person is used to rock n roll, hip hop or some other style where great emphasis is given to the bass, (often to my ear out of balance) something that is actually in balance will sound wrong.  I check my mixes on cheap systems, car systems, headphones and am quite happy with the bass.  If you listen to the entire track you might feel differently.  And if not, well, taste is taste and in that sense no one hears or appreciates music in quite the same way.    Glad you enjoyed the piece.

JG
    www.jerrygerber.com

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1