Monitors and subwoofer plugged into surge protector... power on/off frequently?

Author
vaultwit
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
2012/02/22 18:13:34 (permalink)

Monitors and subwoofer plugged into surge protector... power on/off frequently?

I have a very simple set-up in my room that consists of a pair of nearfield monitors and a subwoofer. No mixer consoles, no midi keyboards, just my computer and audio interface. So I have my monitors and sub plugged into their own designated surge protector that I power on/off whenever I need to use my speakers. 

Most people with studios will power on their entire system, including their monitors, to use for a long mixing session, then power everthing off. But for me, there are a lot of times when I turn my speakers on/off frequently, since I basically use my monitors as normal computer speakers (watching videos, playing games, etc) when I am not mixing or making music.

I leave the power switches on the back of my monitors and sub in the "on" position and basically use the surge protector's power switch as the power switch for my monitor system, turning it on/off multiple times throughout the day when I want to watch a YouTube clip or listen to music while I study for an exam. Is this safe to do, or could it cause damage to my monitors and sub?

Sonar X1 Producer Expanded 64-bit
Computer: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, Windows 8 
Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

12 Replies Related Threads

LunaTech
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 273
    Re:Monitors and subwoofer plugged into surge protector... power on/off frequently? 2012/02/22 18:25:23 (permalink)
    I would say that in general practice ... the process is to turn speakers on last and to cut them off first.  The logic behind that is related to the possibility that some equipment sends out turn on/off transient signals that could negatively affect output devices (speakers). 

"Life could capture me with songs of innocence...
    And enrapture me with pleasures galore...
    Suddenly it could all quickly fade away...
    But I'm not surprised any more...."

Sonar Platinum Pro- Win 10 64- I7 6800k - Asus - 32gb DDR4-SB ZX sound card (cd output to mixer)- Toshiba 960gb SSD (OS - Audio APPs)- 4TB Seagate (Storage/ App Content)- M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro - Akai MPD 232 - Zed R16 - PT 12 - A&H QU 24- Axiom 61 - XD 80usb

"When He is all you have, He is everything you need"
    vaultwit
    Re:Monitors and subwoofer plugged into surge protector... power on/off frequently? 2012/02/22 19:11:40 (permalink)
    LunaTech

I would say that in general practice ... the process is to turn speakers on last and to cut them off first.  The logic behind that is related to the possibility that some equipment sends out turn on/off transient signals that could negatively affect output devices (speakers). 

Thanks for your response. However I wasn't asking the order of turning them off, I was just wondering if what I'm doing is safe for my monitors. Using the surge protector switch to power on/off my monitors frequently while always leaving the actual power switch on the back of each monitor in the "off" position.

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re:Monitors and subwoofer plugged into surge protector... power on/off frequently? 2012/02/22 19:22:39 (permalink)
    There's usually no difference between the on/off switch on surge protectors and the on/off switch by the wall socket.

Frequent on/off switching can shorten the life of electronic components as each time they're switched on or off they undergo a heat cycle (while running they are warm, when switched off they drop to room temperature). Repeated heat cycles can degrade components over time, and the more cycles in a given time, the more potential for degration.

In the real world, I wouldn't have thought that would be too much of a problem for powered speakers though. On the other hand, if we're talking about a couple of dozen on/offs a day here...

It would be sensible to make sure they're turned down before switching on or off in any case - the thump as power switches on/off can easily damage speakers.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    vaultwit
    Re:Monitors and subwoofer plugged into surge protector... power on/off frequently? 2012/02/22 19:33:31 (permalink)
    tlw

There's usually no difference between the on/off switch on surge protectors and the on/off switch by the wall socket.

Is there also no difference between the on/off switch on surge protectors and the on/off switch on the back of the actual monitors themselves?

And I would be powering my monitors on/off just as frequent as my roommate would power on/off his Logitech Z623 speakers... or anyone with any computer speakers, really. The only different is that mine are "monitor" speakers and his are just speakers.
    As for lowering the volume, I do agree. Usually I don't keep my monitors up very loud... but if I do, I'll be sure to lower the volume before shutting them off as you mentioned.

LunaTech
    Re:Monitors and subwoofer plugged into surge protector... power on/off frequently? 2012/02/22 20:04:29 (permalink)
    I understand.  And excuse me if I wasn't very clear. I think that I was really speaking to what the previous poster mentioned relating to turning the speakers down and then off.  The on/off transients can come not only as power spikes but as dangerous very low or very high frequencies that could affect speakers. As stated before, it is a good practice to turn down the volume and then turn off by whatever means.  The frequency by which you turn devices on and off can have an effect also.  Many components such as switches, relays, couplings ect.. are rated by the number of times they are acutated. 

Sonar Platinum Pro- Win 10 64- I7 6800k - Asus - 32gb DDR4-SB ZX sound card (cd output to mixer)- Toshiba 960gb SSD (OS - Audio APPs)- 4TB Seagate (Storage/ App Content)- M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro - Akai MPD 232 - Zed R16 - PT 12 - A&H QU 24- Axiom 61 - XD 80usb

vaultwit
    Re:Monitors and subwoofer plugged into surge protector... power on/off frequently? 2012/02/22 20:11:28 (permalink)
    LunaTech

I understand.  And excuse me if I wasn't very clear. I think that I was really speaking to what the previous poster mentioned relating to turning the speakers down and then off.  The on/off transients can come not only as power spikes but as dangerous very low or very high frequencies that could affect speakers. As stated before, it is a good practice to turn down the volume and then turn off by whatever means.  The frequency by which you turn devices on and off can have an effect also.  Many components such as switches, relays, couplings ect.. are rated by the number of times they are acutated. 

So does the fact that they are "studio monitors" mean that they should be turned on/off less frequently than other speakers that are just as powerful and are not "studio monitors"? Or is the effect the same whether they are "studio monitor" speakers or just normal speakers

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Monitors and subwoofer plugged into surge protector... power on/off frequently? 2012/02/22 20:12:28 (permalink)
    It doesn't matter that you turn them on and off. there are arguments on both sides of that.... I prefer to shut them off when I don;t need them.

Using the switch on the monitor or the surge bar  really doesn't matter. Just understand that every switch has a limited number of operations...at some point it will break. 

Always run them on a surge bar and  if you can a UPS is a nice thing to have in the studio....especially on the DAW. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    LunaTech
    Re:Monitors and subwoofer plugged into surge protector... power on/off frequently? 2012/02/22 20:24:00 (permalink)
    I think it is safe to say that of all speakers.  "Studio Monitor" designation generally refers to a speakers that have a more "flat" frequency response where as other speaker "types" may accentuate certain frequency ranges.

vaultwit
    Re:Monitors and subwoofer plugged into surge protector... power on/off frequently? 2012/02/22 20:26:46 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

It doesn't matter that you turn them on and off. there are arguments on both sides of that.... I prefer to shut them off when I don;t need them.

Using the switch on the monitor or the surge bar  really doesn't matter. Just understand that every switch has a limited number of operations...at some point it will break. 

Always run them on a surge bar and  if you can a UPS is a nice thing to have in the studio....especially on the DAW. 
    What's a UPS?

LunaTech

I think it is safe to say that of all speakers.  "Studio Monitor" designation generally refers to a speakers that have a more "flat" frequency response where as other speaker "types" may accentuate certain frequency ranges. 

That's what I thought. I was wondering that, in order to create the more "flat" frequency response, perhaps they using different parts that may be more sensitive or something. Anyways thanks for your input 

LunaTech
    Re:Monitors and subwoofer plugged into surge protector... power on/off frequently? 2012/02/22 20:47:54 (permalink)
    NP and You are welcome....

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re:Monitors and subwoofer plugged into surge protector... power on/off frequently? 2012/02/23 13:41:16 (permalink)
    What's a UPS?

An Uninterruptable Power Supply.

Basically a bank of rechargable batteries plus electronic switching (usually includes surge suppression and often mains filtering as well) that sits between the mains supply and PC/monitor.

The idea is that if the mains fails the batteries can supply enough power to give you time - so long as you act quickly enough - to save what you're doing and shut the computer down properly. Most  come with software that monitors the mains and can be set to trigger an automatic PC shutdown/switch to hibernation (RAM copied ot hard drive then shut-down) if the mains fails as well (but an automated shutdown won't save your work.

I've had one (an old Belkin model) for years - we get zero-warning  power cuts two or three times a year, and "glitches" like someone's thrown a big switch back at the distribution transformer station quite often. And this is in an industrial inner-city in the UK...

A few years ago the mains went on/off about 5 times in under a second, which killed the PC motherboard and psu.

Hence the investment in a UPS.

You do need a pretty hefty one though - modern PCs drain the batteries very quickly.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Monitors and subwoofer plugged into surge protector... power on/off frequently? 2017/08/01 10:25:18 (permalink)
    I use a rack mount Surgemaster strip with 4 switches on it. These 4 switches are basically the heart of my studio.
    This Rack will protect from any kind of power surge, lightning, Exc.
    - control room lights
    - Speakers, USB Soundcard, Monitor controller
    - PC
    - Power conditioner

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1