" FROM A DISTANCE " Song title change

Author
radio
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2782
2012/02/23 00:29:00 (permalink)

" FROM A DISTANCE " Song title change

Hi everyone , been working on this for a week or so and finally finished it . I do plan on writing some lyrics to it next and try my luck at some vocals something I haven't messed around with for almost a year almost . 

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11460007&q=hi&newref=1

Hope you like this four minute song , its a bit longer then most of my tunes .

Radio

post edited by radio - 2012/02/27 02:13:21

19 Replies Related Threads

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/23 08:27:30 (permalink)
    Sounds great! You have some nice changes going on in there.

String Jammer
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/23 08:38:05 (permalink)
    Nice sounds!  Need some organic instruments IMO.  Like the groove.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    radio
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/23 10:32:00 (permalink)
    Scottytunes

Sounds great! You have some nice changes going on in there.

Thanks Scotty for the listen and comments on this song , something alittle different this time around .

Radio

radio
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/23 10:41:25 (permalink)
    Rimshot

Nice sounds!  Need some organic instruments IMO.  Like the groove.

Rimshot

Thanks Rimshot , it is where I want it to be for now but you never know I might make a few small changes here and there .
    Thanks for your comments and suggestions !

Radio

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/23 12:00:46 (permalink)
    I can't wait to hear the vocal for this track.  It's so dark already that it almost dictates the lyrics.  I hear it as almost Peter Gabrielesque.  Your on the road to something exquisite or something that'll scare the bejesus out of people.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/23 12:28:52 (permalink)
    great start here... I'm diggin' the soundscape...
    radio
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/23 15:22:10 (permalink)
    Lynn

I can't wait to hear the vocal for this track.  It's so dark already that it almost dictates the lyrics.  I hear it as almost Peter Gabrielesque.  Your on the road to something exquisite or something that'll scare the bejesus out of people.

Hey thanks Lynn , I created it to give the listener the feeling of an out -of -body experience . To be honest with you I created this song for the late Whitney Houston , the good and the dark side of her life .
    Years ago when M.J. left this planet because of drugs , I wrote a song of his death called Neverland .
    Back then my music creating skills were not as sharp as they are now because I just started working with all this software , not sure why I decided to do another song sort like Neverland but it is what it is .

Just for the record I plan on keeping her name out of the lyrics so I don't risk getting sued , the lyrics will sort give the listener a clue what I'll be singing about when the song is completely finished with lyrics & vocals .

So there you have it , thats why I made this song sound alittle on the dark side in some places .

Thanks for your comments !
    Radio

radio
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/23 15:25:01 (permalink)
    notnat

great start here... I'm diggin' the soundscape...

Thanks for the heads up , might be another month before I finished adding in lyrics & vocals but what the heck I have plenty of time to work with it .

Thanks !
    Radio

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/23 16:31:11 (permalink)
    Cool groove.... 

I'm thinking the lyrics should include..... rattle snake, dirt road, swamp, running from the law, moonshiners....... you're off to a good start... have fun working it out the rest of the way. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    radio
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/23 17:35:54 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Cool groove.... 

I'm thinking the lyrics should include..... rattle snake, dirt road, swamp, running from the law, moonshiners....... you're off to a good start... have fun working it out the rest of the way. 

Yikes Snakes !!!! Thats one heck of a road kill trip Herb , like you were saying its part of the fun creating a story to fit the mood in the music itself .
    I haven't messed around with lyrics writing in almost a year  and the same goes for vocal singing , I might have to head down the highway at sixty and let loose on my vocals whoops I better watch out for the radar guns that captures sound too ! LOL

Thanks Herb !
    Radio

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/23 19:19:08 (permalink)
    James,

Needs better drums IMO. They're good but fairly standard sounding when the full kit is playing. And that kick is too loud/dry in those "interludes".

If it was me I'd go for a more percussion (not drums) feel. Maybe even something like EZDrummer's Twisted Kit.

radio
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/23 21:37:30 (permalink)
    bapu

James,

Needs better drums IMO. They're good but fairly standard sounding when the full kit is playing. And that kick is too loud/dry in those "interludes".

If it was me I'd go for a more percussion (not drums) feel. Maybe even something like EZDrummer's Twisted Kit.

Thanks for your suggestions , your sort correct with the kick drum being a bit too loud in the places but in the second verse it was meant to sound that way but you could be right maybe it is a bit too loud .
    As for the better drums IMO thing and sounding fairly standard that again is what I was aiming for just a simple 4/4 beat .
    I suppose I could had given it a different type of drum sound as you pointed out but I didn't and stuck with the standard 4/4 beat instead .
    I might go back and adjust the bass drum volume and tweet a few other things before I add the vocal track but sometimes simple works over complex drum patterns and lots of percussion but you never know I might get a hair in my back bone and enlighten the drum track a bit before its showtime .

Thanks for your suggestions , I'll keep those in my head over next few weeks or so .

Cheers ! Radio

philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/24 19:17:21 (permalink)
    Nice tune with some intersting change ups in there.  Nice groove early and then it settle in to an almost ambience type mode.  Eager to hear you put a voice to this.
    radio
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/24 21:02:12 (permalink)
    philz

Nice tune with some intersting change ups in there.  Nice groove early and then it settle in to an almost ambience type mode.  Eager to hear you put a voice to this.

Hi Philz , thanks for the comments . Today I started working on my lyrics and even broke the ice on my microphone that hasn't seen daylight in almost a year .
    Reason for not working with any vocals is because of my breathing & lung issues , after extensive testing my doctor discover I have asthma . Next month I have to undergo another breathing test for something else , aging is no fun plus smoking for thirty years didn't help either .
    I quite smoking 15 years ago because of shortness of breath , its still having a effect on me but with some will power I'm not giving up on adding vocals to my songs .

Enough of that , bottom line is I'm in the process of writing lyrics to the song , today I tried my microphone out to make sure that was in working order and it was .
    Gave my vocal chords a quick warm-up to clear the lungs a bit plus I wanted to see just what I'm dealing with as far as adding vocals to my song .
    With a few weeks practice I should be able to add vocals , I sounded alittle horse at the start but that was to be expected after a year of no singing at all .

Anyway thanks for the comments , stay tuned in I hopefully will have lyrics and vocals for my song one month from today .

Thanks ! Radio
    post edited by radio - 2012/02/24 21:04:29

radio
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/27 02:25:15 (permalink)

Hi Friends ! I had to make a song title change during the process of my lyric writing .
    So far my first verse and my first chorus section is completed , so far the lyrics written are turning out just the way I planned it to be  . My vocals are a bit raspy sounding but that was to be expected  , haven't sung any songs in a year so its going to take a few weeks to smooth that part of it out so my voice sounds right .

Anyway thats my update for my new song , for those who wanted to here the song with lyrics and vocals it going to happened soon and posted next month after I copyright the lyrics .
    I plan on posting this song on youtube , maybe with an added video if I can swing that .

Cheers !
    Radio

Bob Oister
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/27 04:21:44 (permalink)
    Hi, James,

Very cool song with a nice smooth vibe and great keyboards!

I really like the sound of the piano melody lines and the ambient backing pad, can't wait to hear the finished product with the vocals.

Nice work, buddy!
    Bob
    ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/27 07:49:42 (permalink)
    You have a cool knack for writting these killer mellow almost eerie sounding ambiant pieces.  They just naturally (for me anyway) start throwing up mental pictures like there should be something visual going on asthough it is a backdrop for an important movie scene.   I like where you are headed here Radio.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    radio
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/27 11:20:15 (permalink)
    Bob Oister

Hi, James,

Very cool song with a nice smooth vibe and great keyboards!

I really like the sound of the piano melody lines and the ambient backing pad, can't wait to hear the finished product with the vocals.

Nice work, buddy!
    Bob

Hey Bob  , thanks ! I'm working on it , its been a long while writing any lyrics so its a slow process for me right now and my vocals need to be worked to get the sound I'm looking for .
    In a month I should have something good I hope in the way of vocals , see what happens if I can't pull it off then I might have to look for a singer to sing it for me .

Thanks for the comments !
    Radio

radio
    Re:In The Distance - my newest song 2012/02/27 11:22:38 (permalink)
    ChuckC

You have a cool knack for writting these killer mellow almost eerie sounding ambiant pieces.  They just naturally (for me anyway) start throwing up mental pictures like there should be something visual going on asthough it is a backdrop for an important movie scene.   I like where you are headed here Radio.

Thanks Chuck for the comments , hopefully in a month I'll have the rest of the song ready to post or sooner .

Thanks Buddy !
    Radio

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1