"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!!

Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2012/02/28 11:40:52 (permalink)

http://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/bb01-the-time-is-magic

for this one (title track of the new album) i decided to go all direct source, no microphones.

this is the weirdo of the bunch!

recording setup:

Sonar pro edition 6.0

i have (2) mic pres, a ART DPS with (2) tube pres and a digital convertor in it, and a A Designs Audio MP-1 class A tube mic preamp (mono).
i route either of these thru a DBX MC-6 compressor, and either directly into the ART convertor, or to the soundcard analog inputs, with conversion occurring at the card.

Drums:  Sony Acid, for drum tracks. i use real drums whenever i can get a drummer to work for free!
LOL

guitar rig:
for this song i used a Weber Mass Lite and Palmer PDI-09 on my mesa mark2b, with a avatar cab doing monitor duty.

this is for all you guys who are looking for a 'quiet' way to capture full bore tube amp sounds into Sonar, without getting evicted or divorced.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/masslite.htm

it works pretty well..

here's how i use it:

i go Mesa boogie Mark IIb 60 watt tube head /speaker out (8 or 4 ohm, it doesn't matter) into the Palmer PDI-09.

so, boogie speaker out into palmer 'INPUT', and then back out via the 'THRU', and that goes to the Weber, for attenuation. 

From the Weber, 'speaker out' to whatever cab i want to use (i have a  demeter isolation cabinet available, if i want to play loud, the celestion greenback cab if i want to monitor 'open air'.)

idea here is, if i want to record in the headphones, i can attenuate the piss out of the boogie, put it in the demeter, and you can't hear almost anything.....
if i want to play loud, and play along with my monitors blasting my backing tracks, i can use my closed back 1x12 with the celestion, or into the demeter, and play as loud as i want.. 
the palmer doesn't know the difference, only the weber comes into play, and since i'm not micing, there's no bleed over from the guitar cab and the monitors......

so, the 'BAL. OUT' on the palmer, is an XLR out, that goes to my mic preamp, digital convertor, and into SONAR.
the switches on the top of the palmer give me line level attenuation, and 3 different 'cab and mic' sounds.
i like the NORMAL setting the best. It's all passive, the weber and the palmer, so i'm not introducing any kind of electrical noise at either of these two units.

bass rig:
i use either a Carvin LB70, or a Ibanez Micro short scale...
run it into both a sansamp bass di and the boogie setup with the palmer, set for bass tone.
i blend the two signals together, to a single buss, and compress the whole on mixdown.

guitar rig:

in the clip, it shows the tone you can get in Position #4 on the vintage white strat, with a Bill Lawrence 500L Humbucker and a middle position L280 pickup together, along with a Q filter on the tone control, that varies the inductance on the pickup(s) (it shows position #2 in the pic)

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

27 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/02/28 11:49:50 (permalink)
    Just what I would expect from you, a first class recording and composition.  You've not produced anything that I haven't found brilliant, and this is no exception.  Congratulations.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/02/28 12:04:14 (permalink)
    Hi BB, fun tune this. Sounds are excellent. Fun tune to play along to, do you tune a half step down ?

Rik
    batsbrew
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/02/28 12:39:36 (permalink)
    LYNN
    THANKS for the kindest words!
    of course, the hardest part was finding someone to say 'the time, is magic'.
    LOL

morenoise

thanks rik.....
    it was a fun tune to play.
    the solo line, was pretty much a one-take.
    i jammed with it for a while, developed some melodies, and then just laid it down.
    Yes, i tune down a half step.
    i've been doing that as a rule, since about 1995

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/02/28 14:48:28 (permalink)
    Bat,

What's not to like?  Fun song, well played, well mixed, well produced.   You got some nice guitar tone going on in this tune.   Very nice touch to add the details about your set-up as well.    Top notch stuff as always.

Regards
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/02/28 23:40:44 (permalink)
    Love it!  Guitars have great attitude!  Needs about +3 db @ 60 hz on my system.  Want more!

Rim

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    batsbrew
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/01 14:24:45 (permalink)

markno999
    thanks for listening, and reading up on the guitar setup.
    some folks dig that stuff, others, their eyes glaze over.......
    LOL

rimshot
    thanks man, glad you dig it....
    more 60, huh?!
    hehe
    must be a drummer.....

here's the actual spectrum graph of the wave file:

i had to dip at 60, just slightly, to clean up a muddy area in the low end.
    on a good playback system, there is PLENTY.... plenty of low end.
    what are you listening back on?

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/02 17:59:35 (permalink)
    this one shows your playful Vai/Satch side. it would actually work quite well with vocals. impeccable taste and recording, i'd personally like to hear you go for it more often in your stuff, but credit to you for sticking to the song!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    batsbrew
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/03 15:12:18 (permalink)
    MGH
    PLAYFUL.
    yes.

it's so easy to just let it rip...
    i can do that without even thinking about it.

and most times, i'll jam to the songs for a few sessions, just playing 'diarreah of the fingers', so to speak..
    but then, i'll listen to what i've done, and pick out the catchiest stuff...
    usually the more simple stuff...

and build up melodies around those ideas.

so, you're hearing the best ideas of the 'go for it' moments, condensed down to just the best ideas.

i mean, i know what you're saying, coming from a guitarist's point of view, i totally get it.

but i have an entire instrumental album sitting in the wings, with plenty of wanking!!
    LOL

look for that one soon...

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/05 10:41:40 (permalink)
    PLAY IT ONE MORE TIME.....

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/05 17:31:42 (permalink)
    As usual you have managed to capture the best sound possible with whatever you are using.

I used and/or owned a couple of high end attunators as well as the built in attenuator in my Carr amp.

But I still prefer my custom built isolation box.  I've got it dead quiet and and crank a small to medium sized amp into this thing and you can barely hear it.  I'm thinking of adding a second mic to the box so I can mix different spots on the speaker.

This sounds killer.  I've heard some good direct stuff and it keeps getting better.  Once they can accurately digitize a bunch of different speakers... probably only a matter of time.

I've looked at some really nice channel strips that I bet would produce some pretty fine guitar sounds but have not made the investment... but may do so soon... I'm getting the itch.  Will use it primarily for vocals and mic'ing acoustic instrumets

Very cool!

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    mwall
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1262
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/06 10:35:14 (permalink)
    Pretty slick licks. I like it. Mark

Mark
    -----
    Some tunes:
    http://www.reverbnation.com/markwallace
    http://www.soundclick.com/markwallace 

DAW: SONAR X3 Producer; GA-P35-DS3L; Q6600; OCZ 8GB DDR2 800; Win8 64-bit; Gina 3G.
    batsbrew
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/06 10:37:40 (permalink)
    alright daryl!
    thanks for commenting on this submission for review.........!

you know, all my stuff is basically cheap stuff.
    i've got a couple of decent microphones, of course my guitar stuff is nice, but as far as actual recording, it's all cheap stuff.

the iso box really bugs me, as well as it works, i can hear the inside of the box.
    but if i record at low bedroom volumes, and use the cabinet, the 'box' effect is greatly reduced, and it sounds nice.
    it's just that i have to run the amp a lot harder to get what i want out of it, and it's so loud inside the box, the sound is compressed.
    when i use the master vol on the amp, and run at low volumes, i can get good sounds out of it, but they're not 'MY' sounds.....

now, just for clarity...

my direct stuff is not digital.

it's all analog.

there is no sim involved.

it is a device that captures the actual sound of the amp at the amp's output, and runs it thru a 'filter' that is voiced to sound like a cabinet...... and drops it down to line level to send to a mixer.

the 'thru' part of the palmer PDI-09, is a speaker out, and must have a load.

some folks just do not understand what this thing does, so i try to explain it as best as i can.

i can run the line out of the palmer, direct to my soundcard, and it sounds almost as good as running the same signal thru a high end mic preamp, so i do not think the preamp has a lot to do with the quality of the sound.

in fact, i'd go so far as to say it's the convertors that really matter.

but that's another issue all together!!

thanks again for talking with me about it....

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/06 11:03:38 (permalink)
     Great job there Bat and the reason I heartily endorse your recording methods.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Rimshot
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/06 14:09:08 (permalink)
    Bat,
    Thank for the graph!  Your levels look great.  I listen on a pair of old Koss headphones and my NS-10's.  Now you know why I think it could use a tweek at 60hz LOL.  However, I do listen to alot of music on my system and hey, only +3 db @ 60hz!  Maybe the frequency response after uploading to Soundcloud changed it somewhat?  I seem to pickup bass when uploading to Soundcloud.  Anyway, must be the drummer in me after all!. 
    Great job again. 

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    darylcrowley
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/06 15:48:33 (permalink)
    I'm running my Carr Mercury - 8 watts on full power.  That's probably why I'm not having as much issue.  Also I have 4 full inches of the densest sound proofing insulation there is.  So for me the iso box works really well because I'm not cranking at stage volumes.  Th Mercury will blossom and break up at relatively modest volumes.

I've not seen another iso box that is even close to working as well as the one I made.  I spent the money and effort on guts, and to my surprise it worked better than I ever dreamed it would.  I thought I was probably wasting my money, and for once, things worked out for me.

I didn't think you were digital, I just meant that a true digital representation of speakers would compliment a good direct system.

I'm glad you just have cheap stuff, because with good stuff you would just be too scary good! .  Seriously, you have an ear for good sound.

I would also use a good channel strip for bass.  I think bass often translates very good directly, maybe better than an amp on average.

Daryl Crowley
    alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/06 16:23:33 (permalink)
    That was really Fargin Cool!!!!!!

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    batsbrew
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/07 14:35:43 (permalink)

STARISE
    thanks for checking it out...
    glad for the endorsement!
    heheh

rimshot
    i work hard at the levels.
    for consistency, and basically, problem solving as i go thru the tracking level....
    so i don't have to figure it out later.
    now, i'm not suprised you can't get any 60hz out of the ns-10's, or the Koss!!
    heheh
    i have a set of Sony Funtopia earbuds, that have extended low end range, and i can actually count on them to give me 'subs'.....
    i use them to check mixes against, to hear any rumbles and low end garbage.

i listen to a LOT...... LOT.......LOT>.... of pro mixes thru them, to 'learn' how a pro mastering job translates thru these buds,
    just for that low end double check.
    they work.
    i'd prefer a full range set of monitors in a treated room, but heh! i ain't rich..... so that's that.
    i don't think soundcloud changes the file at all.
    that waveform, is of a .wav file, not a mp3.
    the mp3 definitely changes the wave form......
    but honestly, i think the problem is just with your playback system.
    i DO like 60 hz!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/07 14:37:44 (permalink)

daryl
    i kinda figured you were up to speed with the analog/digital difference, but figured i'd put it out there just for anyone else just getting into the game....
    it sounds like your box, is actually dialed in for exactly what your doing.
    that's great. that's the hunt.....
    anytime you can upgrade to a better preamp for ANY signal..... be it vocals, bass or guitar.... it's worth doing, within reason.
    there are a multitude of good preamps out there---but for what it's worth, on this particular song, everything was run thru the ART DPS preamp, convertor, and straight out to the spdif input of the soundcard.
    i paid $220 for the ART.

alkie-
    fargin awesome man!!
    lol
    glad you dig it...

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/07 18:54:06 (permalink)
    Very cool Batsbrew!  I love the guitar tones.  Nice mix bro.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/07 20:39:50 (permalink)
    classic... very nice tone. direct or miked..... you got it figured out. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    darylcrowley
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/07 21:11:12 (permalink)
    I've head that about the ART.  I'm cashing in some retirement days when I retire next year to upgrade some equipment and pickup a nice flattop.  I'm prepared to pay significantly more for a preamp, but I sure wouldn't want to buy way more than I need.  The ART is an attractive price for a tube preamp and they have several models, including EQ and compression.  I believe that I want a tube, of course I do I'm a guitar player, but I'm looking at the Grace that includes EQ and thier optical compressor... but I really would like a dual channel for mic'ing acoustics with two mics.

So many choices and little opportunity to try them out.  Of course I can find exactly what I want for 5 grand, but my budget doesn't go that far unless I was willing to lower my standards on a new flattop... and I'm not. 

You get a great sound, but then I'm begining to think you would get a good sound with some string and a couple of tin cans.

Thanks for info!   - Daryl

ps, Your pedal board is disgustingly neat.  I feel like slob.
    post edited by darylcrowley - 2012/03/07 21:13:18

Daryl Crowley
    batsbrew
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/09 17:26:13 (permalink)

chuckc 
    appreciate the comments.
    the guitar tones were just so EASY on this one.
    literally, turned the amp on, tweaked for about 3 minutes, and ran with it.
    i love it when it works out that way!

guitarhacker
    thanks for listening.
    sometimes, a direct tone just works.
    granted, i'm putting some slapback, or room reverb, on the super-dry direct tracks...
    and of course, the palmer puts a nice cabinet filter on it, so it ends up sounding like a super hi-fi close miced studio recording,
    which is the whole idea after all!!
    but, whenever i hear it as 'sterile', i'll will tweak eq and compression and reverb, to get it warmer.
    i did on this one, on mixdown.

daryl
    the thing about updgrading gear is, you can almost ALWAYS hear improvement.

so if you've got it, spend it!!
    LOL
    just do as much homework ahead of time as possible, and think of the long-term use you'll get out of the stuff, not how much it's gonna cost.

and honestly, if you're not trying to compete with pro studios, what's the point in spending a grand per channel of converter?~~!!

lots of good dually tube pres out there, consider these:
    expensive:
    Trident Audio Developments A-Range
    Tube-Tech MP 1A
    Grace Design m201 with A/D Option
    Manley Dual Mono Microphone Preamplifier
    A Designs MP-2A (2 channel version of what i use)
    Thermionic Culture Rooster Balanced

mid grade:
    Universal Audio 2-610S Silverface
    A Designs Pacifica (solid state, but wonderful)
    Drawmer 1969

and a bit cheaper:
    Audient Mico
    Radial Firefly
    Joemeek twinQ
    FMR RNP (x2)

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/09 19:10:08 (permalink)
    Great playing and cool tune!  :)  Cool synths, too, if that's what they are.  :) 
    batsbrew
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/11 18:04:12 (permalink)
    THANKS JANET  

yep, synths from loops, that i selected and pieced together

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Rimshot
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/11 18:38:08 (permalink)
    Hi batsbrew,

Are your Sony ear buds 
    Sony MDR-E888LP Fontopia Earphones?
    Thanks.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/11 19:24:22 (permalink)
    Nice playing, really warm sound.  Excellent mix and master.

I love some of that ART stuff as well, I have an ART PRO VLA II compressor, they def bat above their weight.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    batsbrew
    Re:"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!! 2012/03/12 10:58:10 (permalink)
    RIMSHOT:
    i've got two sets...

one:
    http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666372571

and two:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX71SL-Fontopia-Headphones-Black/dp/B000092YQW

benMMusTech
    appreciate the review, ben...
    i don't doubt that my Maudio 192 card has better convertors...
    i use the convertor in the ART about half the time, and use the analog outs into the analog ins of my sound card the other half.

it DOES sound different, when i'm stacking a lot of tracks, i'll break it up at least 50/50

same with the output of me A Designs Audio MP-1-
    half the time, it goes thru the ART convertor, other times straight to the sound card.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1