CLOSING THIS POST DOWN - THANKS EVERYONE !

Author
radio
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2782
2012/02/28 23:46:32 (permalink)

CLOSING THIS POST DOWN - THANKS EVERYONE !

Hi everyone , been working on my lyrics for my new song . Right now I have the first verse , chorus section and started working on the second verse . 

I haven't worked with my vocals in a year so prepare yourself , my vocals might not sound that great but I'm working on smoothing things out with practice .
Any suggestion on the type of reverb I should be using for this type of singing , just wondering what some of you singers might think .

Thanks !
Radio
post edited by radio - 2012/03/01 02:35:28

9 Replies Related Threads

Bob Oister
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:FROM A DISTANCE -LYRICS AND VOCAL SAMPLE 2012/02/29 04:30:01 (permalink)
    Hi, James,

Nice job on starting to add the vocals, this song is really starting to sound great!

Since you specifically asked, if it were me, my suggestion would be to back down the reverb a little bit, and then sweep a high pass filter eq on your vocal track to take some mud out of the low end.  You might also try a small 4 or 5 dB notch filter at around 500hz with a Q of somewhere around 4.5 to 6.  That should make your vocals stand out a little clearer in the mix without actually having to push the vocal volume higher.

You might also want to experiment with some different types of reverb.  I'm not sure which reverb plugin you're using, but the built in Sonitus reverb probably has some decent presets to start with.  Maybe look for something like "Vocal Plate", "Vocal Hall", or possibly "Short Plate or "Medium Plate" and then test out what they sound like on your track, and adjust the settings to taste.

You've got a great start on the vocals, buddy, keep up the good work! 
    Bob
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:FROM A DISTANCE -LYRICS AND VOCAL SAMPLE 2012/02/29 07:16:15 (permalink)
    Pretty cool stuff, James. I had a hard time hearing the lyrics though. I agree with Bob on the verb.

String Jammer
    radio
    Re:FROM A DISTANCE -LYRICS AND VOCAL SAMPLE 2012/02/29 10:26:22 (permalink)
    Bob Oister

Hi, James,

Nice job on starting to add the vocals, this song is really starting to sound great!

Since you specifically asked, if it were me, my suggestion would be to back down the reverb a little bit, and then sweep a high pass filter eq on your vocal track to take some mud out of the low end.  You might also try a small 4 or 5 dB notch filter at around 500hz with a Q of somewhere around 4.5 to 6.  That should make your vocals stand out a little clearer in the mix without actually having to push the vocal volume higher.

You might also want to experiment with some different types of reverb.  I'm not sure which reverb plugin you're using, but the built in Sonitus reverb probably has some decent presets to start with.  Maybe look for something like "Vocal Plate", "Vocal Hall", or possibly "Short Plate or "Medium Plate" and then test out what they sound like on your track, and adjust the settings to taste.

You've got a great start on the vocals, buddy, keep up the good work! 
    Bob

Hi Bob , hey thanks for heads up . I'm using RECORD and theres about twenty different types of reverb to choose from for drums and VOX .
    I'll take some of your suggestions and try them over the week-end .
    Right now I'm trying to move forward with the lyrics and working with my vocals to get that smooth flow throughout the song .

Thanks Bob ! Radio

radio
    Re:FROM A DISTANCE -LYRICS AND VOCAL SAMPLE 2012/02/29 10:31:46 (permalink)
    Scottytunes

Pretty cool stuff, James. I had a hard time hearing the lyrics though. I agree with Bob on the verb.

Thanks Scotty , Warren said the same thing in an e-mail . Haven't figured out the vocal mix thing because I hardly work with vocals in most of my music .
    Thanks for listening and offering postive advice , I'll have to keep working with it untill I can find something that works for this song .

Radio

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:FROM A DISTANCE -LYRICS AND VOCAL SAMPLE 2012/02/29 10:39:23 (permalink)
    James, I like where this is going.  Back off on the verb, and pump up the volume on the voice.  If the lyrics are good, let them be heard.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    radio
    Re:FROM A DISTANCE -LYRICS AND VOCAL SAMPLE 2012/02/29 11:12:34 (permalink)
    Lynn

James, I like where this is going.  Back off on the verb, and pump up the volume on the voice.  If the lyrics are good, let them be heard.

Thanks Lynn for the injection , my blood is pumping now ! Thanks for the suggestions , I'll have to do try that after I finished my lyrics for my second verse .

Thanks Buddy ! Radio

ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re:FROM A DISTANCE -LYRICS AND VOCAL SAMPLE 2012/02/29 16:24:31 (permalink)
    I couldn't make them out radio.  Just being honest it was very hard to hear.  I was trying hard too because I liked the song when you posted it before with no lyrics.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    radio
    Re:FROM A DISTANCE -LYRICS AND VOCAL SAMPLE 2012/02/29 17:05:17 (permalink)
    ChuckC

I couldn't make them out radio.  Just being honest it was very hard to hear.  I was trying hard too because I liked the song when you posted it before with no lyrics.

Hi Chuck yea its a crappy mix and my vocals need working on . If I can figure out how to get a clearer mix then I will repost again . I can understand what I'm singing because I wrote my lyrics so for me I can makeout what I'm singing .

Thanks for the listen , maybe I can find a different reverb setting in RECORD that might improve my vocal mix . If I can I will update it later on tonight , thanks again for the feedback .

Radio

radio
    Re:FROM A DISTANCE -LYRICS AND VOCAL SAMPLE 2012/02/29 17:53:00 (permalink)

Hate to keep bugging you , maybe you can take a listen now and tell me if you can make out what I'm singing with this different reverb setting .
    I'm using RECORD and its RV7000 advance reverb , the setting I picked out this time is ( ALL C1 Mid Hall ) I completely turned down to their lowest setting  the DECAY - HF DAMP -HI EQ and DRY - WET settings .

I also lowered the music track volume and raised my vocal track volume .

Any comments of suggestion would be greatly helpful as this is a learning experience for me as far as getting the best possible vocal mix and sound .
    as far as my singing goes I already know I need to spend more time ironing out the roughness and thats why in the beginning I said its going to take me a month or so to get it right .

All I can do is keep working with it using your helpful suggestions .

Thanks again for the listen and comments , by the way I did not include the second verse in this update .

Radio

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1