New song with Sonar X1 expanded, completely in the box... opinions plz.

Author
RnRmaChine
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 420
2012/03/01 21:50:33 (permalink)

New song with Sonar X1 expanded, completely in the box... opinions plz.

Howdy folks,

I recently finished a song of mine called "Live Our Own Way" and I am hoping for some feedback concerning anything.. what ya think of the mix, lyrics, vocals, etc...

It's done completely with Sonar X1 Expanded and mixed entirely in the box.

http://www.broadjam.com/transmit/index.php?txygnbz=34181&chkldsxv1=B5DC727017&yhgbndsq=1

Thanks for taking the time to listen and reply!!!

John

Here are the lyrics for folks that like to critique lyrics more than music. I claim all copyrights given to me by law, in case I need to.

Live Our Own Way

Lonely Girl you think you don’t belong here.
You’d destroy our love at the drop of a dime.
The simple walls you build… divide you.
Leave you to your own device in time.
(pre chorus)
I know you’re feeling low. Can you let it go?
Will we ever know?.. Oh Baby, You’re not alone here. You’re not alone.
(chorus)
Will we ever live? Will we ever love? I know we can be true.
Should we ride through the day? Join our lives and live our way.
Will we ever love? Will we ever live? I know we can be true.
We can ride through the age, join our lives and live our own way.

If you find in your heart a simple reason.
To stay with me I won’t leave you behind.
We’ll turn the tide as we hold onto this season.
But if you go I’d beg you change your mind.

(pre chorus)
(chorus)
Should we ride through the day? Join our lives and live our way.
We can ride through the age, take our lives and live our own way.

Hold onto your love. Take it for a ride and see the life inside of you.
I will be true… Do you really wanna know how much I love you?
All those times that we may know. All those times that we will grow.
In love…
All those times that we may know. All those times that we will grow.

Sonar Platinum
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Dual Processors - Intel Xeon X5670 - 6 cores/cpu = 12core w/Hyperthreading = 24core
24GB 10600 DDR3 1333 RAM
1110w PSU
Geforce GTS 450
128GB SanDisk SSD OS/C:drive
WD Blue HDrives Sample, Audio, Storage.

9 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:New song with Sonar X1 expanded, completely in the box... opinions plz. 2012/03/02 11:06:29 (permalink)
    I'm having trouble with your link not loading.  I'll try it later.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    RnRmaChine
    Re:New song with Sonar X1 expanded, completely in the box... opinions plz. 2012/03/03 13:52:26 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Dual Processors - Intel Xeon X5670 - 6 cores/cpu = 12core w/Hyperthreading = 24core
    24GB 10600 DDR3 1333 RAM
    1110w PSU
    Geforce GTS 450
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:New song with Sonar X1 expanded, completely in the box... opinions plz. 2012/03/03 14:25:12 (permalink)
    Thank you for fixing that link.  It was worth the wait because this is a cool song.  It's well produced and played.  I like your vocals very much, and the song is catchy with a good hook.  Thanks for sharing.  

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:New song with Sonar X1 expanded, completely in the box... opinions plz. 2012/03/04 10:31:02 (permalink)
    This is a well crafted rock song. There are a couple of spots where another guitar comes in and the vocal gets a little buried. Easy fix. The tempo change for the chorus is really a nice dynamic. The part near the end where you go higher in the vocal register has me thinking a vocal harmony on the chorus might sound nice and make it pop even more. What happened on the ending? It goes up to a climax, and fades out too soon. Some really good work here.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:New song with Sonar X1 expanded, completely in the box... opinions plz. 2012/03/04 10:40:03 (permalink)
    Great sound!  Pink Floyd influence?  I love the lyrics and melody.  Vocal is superb.  Guitars and bass are right on.  Drums are poppin' too.  I like Randy's idead of harmony in places to lift up the melody.
    This is really pro sounding.  Great job.

Rimshot    

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re:New song with Sonar X1 expanded, completely in the box... opinions plz. 2012/03/04 11:20:43 (permalink)
    I like the tune.  Good performance.  BUT...it is like the vocals and the lead guitar get lost in the sound, particularly later on in the tune.  I'm wondering if this might be from compressing too much on the master bus and not enough on the tracks?  Just guessing here.

Glen
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:New song with Sonar X1 expanded, completely in the box... opinions plz. 2012/03/06 14:50:36 (permalink)
    Hi John,

Very cool song, performance and ( for the most part ) mix, especially the vocal. The vocal does get a little lost at times, though.

Excellent.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:New song with Sonar X1 expanded, completely in the box... opinions plz. 2012/03/06 19:16:07 (permalink)
    The vocal is a little muddy.  Try cutting out the lows below 150hZ and maybe adding a pinch more highs.  The basic balances are spot on.

Good work!
    J

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    RnRmaChine
    Re:New song with Sonar X1 expanded, completely in the box... opinions plz. 2012/03/07 14:28:07 (permalink)
    Wow, thnx for listening and commenting folks. You guys are awesome!!! I had no idea the vocal was getting a little lost at times. Probably because I know it too well and even when it's a bit lost, I can hear it, in my head, just fine. So I missed the reality that it got a little lost... perhaps that's why anyway lol.

Glenn, I did tend to be a little lean on track compression and a bit more heavy handed in the master with compression. So good call. I am gonna mess with the mix a little and see what I get.

J, I am gonna try setting the highpass frequency on the vocal a little higher and see what that does. I already feel pretty naked with the vocals so I am nervous about bringing them more to the front.

Hey Randy, I will try to do a vocal harmony for the chorus and see if I can pull off a good backing track. The ending, I faded it because a friend of mine told me they thought the song was a bit long... so that was my attempt at making it seem shorter. After all that went on, My old drummer told me he thought I should put another verse in the song... so obviously he didn't think it was too long. And no one, other than that friend has mentioned the length of the song in any manner let alone say it seemed too long. SO maybe I ought to drop the fade out...?

Rimshot, I am a Floyd fan, but I didn't mean for this song to have a Floyd vibe so maybe I am more of a fan then I realized haha.

Again thanks everyone for listening and your kind words!!! Hopefully I can get the fixes in place without screwing anything up. HAHA

John

Btw, I am really liking Sonar X1 Expanded. Took a bit of getting used to after 8.5 but It's fine now. I now remember to hit X instead of Q for muting/unmuting clips as I look for the good takes among the not so good hehe.
    post edited by RnRmaChine - 2012/03/07 14:35:46

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    24GB 10600 DDR3 1333 RAM
    1110w PSU
    Geforce GTS 450
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1