How can I get some new ideas for writing song lyrics?

Author
skylightron
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 277
2012/03/28 16:25:21 (permalink)

How can I get some new ideas for writing song lyrics?

Half of the time I spend playing video games and the other half is spent making music. But I have a dilemma. How do I come up with new ideas for lyrics? I'm married, but have a hard time writing anything about my wife. Should I divorce her and marry the overseas gal that Bitfliper is trying to hook me up with? She may be in her older 50's, from the looks of things but if it spurs some song writing ideas, maybe I won't even have to buy Omnisphere. So how do you all get new inspiration and ideas for songs?

12 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:How can I get some new ideas for writing song lyrics? 2012/03/28 16:34:46 (permalink)
    Forget about the women..... write about other things you see around you. Everyday life. How you see things ....

Another option.... this has worked for me many times.   Join TAXI's free email listings service. They send out music opportunities to folks on that list. On quite a few they tell what topic the end user is wanting.... use that and accept the challenge to write based on the idea and in the time frame allotted even if you are not planning to submit to the listing as a member. 

Here are two songs that I wrote based on TAXI listings for this type on music and story line/feelings....

http://www.soundclick.com...34&songID=11196884

http://www.soundclick.com...134&songID=9961448

hope this gets you moving in the "right" direction for inspiration 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:How can I get some new ideas for writing song lyrics? 2012/03/28 16:49:48 (permalink)
    you can't force inspiration.  I like the tag line that guitarhacker has in his signature.

keep your eyes and ears open.  inspiration comes from just about anything - sometimes it comes from very unexpected places and sounds.  inspiration doesn't have to come from a man made melody either - listen to all the sounds around you.  look at the evening sky, the trees, the cars, the buildings, the people in the street.

just keep your mind open and cell phone recorder and paper and pen handy ready to write things down and/or record a melody.  it is 99% likely you WILL forget it if you don't get it recorded somehow immediately.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:How can I get some new ideas for writing song lyrics? 2012/03/28 16:49:53 (permalink)
    Today's headline news...........

HERB IN USING WHAT MIGHT AT FIRST GLANCE SEEM TO BE A HELPFUL POST AS AN EXCUSE TO PLUG HIS SONGS SHOCKER !!

;)

As for the OP - I struggle with this too, I suspect that the answer for you as the same as it is for me - get out more ! ;)
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:How can I get some new ideas for writing song lyrics? 2012/03/28 16:52:03 (permalink)
    skylightron

Half of the time I spend playing video games and the other half is spent making music. But I have a dilemma. How do I come up with new ideas for lyrics?

Write about what interests you, what moves you, write about what you know. Maybe ditch the video games, and let some ideas in?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:How can I get some new ideas for writing song lyrics? 2012/03/28 16:55:00 (permalink)
    Marry your muse.
    skylightron

Half of the time I spend playing video games and the other half is spent making music. But I have a dilemma. How do I come up with new ideas for lyrics? I'm married, but have a hard time writing anything about my wife. Should I divorce her and marry the overseas gal that Bitfliper is trying to hook me up with? She may be in her older 50's, from the looks of things but if it spurs some song writing ideas, maybe I won't even have to buy Omnisphere. So how do you all get new inspiration and ideas for songs?

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:How can I get some new ideas for writing song lyrics? 2012/03/28 19:17:40 (permalink)
    paulo

Today's headline news...........

HERB IN USING WHAT MIGHT AT FIRST GLANCE SEEM TO BE A HELPFUL POST AS AN EXCUSE TO PLUG HIS SONGS SHOCKER !!

;)

As for the OP - I struggle with this too, I suspect that the answer for you as the same as it is for me - get out more ! ;)

Actually, no...... I am to the point where I don't care who listens or not.... unless they are in a publishing company in Nashville, or own a music library. In that case I want them to listen. 

As it turns out both of those songs were inspired by a TAXI listing..... (Rainy Day)  asking for the closing scene in  a movie, and then they described the movie and the closing scene..... and the other a song( Footsteps) about sadness or loneliness for a TV show. Both had extremely short time until they were due so it was a case of if I wanted to try I had to write and record quickly. 

I find that using their listings for ideas is often a way to get new ideas and force me to grow as a writer. It forces you out of the normal box we live in as we try to write about something that we might not consider on any other day. 

If you have never tried it.... go to the TAXI web site and look at the listings in your genre. Read the details and set down and see how close you can come and how well it turns out. It might surprise you what you can do. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:How can I get some new ideas for writing song lyrics? 2012/03/28 19:26:29 (permalink)
    Well, at this point in the cycle, you should just right a song called,
    "How do I do it".

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:How can I get some new ideas for writing song lyrics? 2012/03/28 19:46:43 (permalink)
    Easy.  Get a divorce, run over your dog, wreck your pickup truck the write a country tune!  Seriously, I have been working on a tune for my wife for about 3 years.  It's a verse away and I think it's kinda nice.  I have an ex from the late 70s that inspired three songs.  What does that mea?  You've got me!  Maybe strife breeds mor lyrics for me than true love.  That girl was a trainwreck for me.  Three pretty good songs.  "Out of Love" will be up this summer.  That's one.  Lyrics are so difficult for me.  That's why Mark and I (Pugtones) go through dry spells.  For me lyrics are cyclical and a pain in the butt.  When you get them, though, it's a beautiful thing!!  Good luck, Skylightron.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:How can I get some new ideas for writing song lyrics? 2012/03/28 21:00:50 (permalink)
    Inspiration for me comes from pain, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone...

I think the best music is written from deep love, or deep pain, and clinically, the two emotions are not that dissimilar...

So find a chord pattern you like, play it 500 times, hum different melodies, then think about either something that brings you great joy, or great pain, and work on “the hook…”

Everything else will fall in to place, like me on a prom date.
    post edited by bandontherun19 - 2012/03/28 21:04:11

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:How can I get some new ideas for writing song lyrics? 2012/03/28 21:38:47 (permalink)
    Make a list of anything that interests you. 
    Make a second list and comment on the first list.
    Review it a couple of days later and pick out one idea and start writing anyting that comes to mind.
    Then, if you are still interested, start pulling out key words and phrases. 

Just a thought.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:How can I get some new ideas for writing song lyrics? 2012/03/28 21:45:45 (permalink)
    Sometimes it's as simple as coming up with the first line or two and then going from there into the unknown.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:How can I get some new ideas for writing song lyrics? 2012/03/28 22:47:45 (permalink)
    You can never go wrong with writing about cars, girls, love (lost/found) or money.

Somebody somewhere wants more of all of those things.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1