No Sound from Fantom VS

Author
HeatherHaze
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 334
2012/04/13 22:50:12 (permalink)

No Sound from Fantom VS

I've been sparring with my new V-Studio VS-700 system for a couple days.  Out of the box, I was surprised to find this required a LOT of updating.  It shipped with Sonar 8.0 and version 1 drivers.  After spending untold hours updating drivers, firmware and software, I now have the following:

Intel Core i5 Quad-core 3.2GHz w/16Gb RAM
500Gb system drive and 1Tb dedicated audio drive
Windows 7 64-bit SP1
Sonar 8.3.1.372
Firmware:
    VS-700R CPU/DSP 1.30
    Fantom VS 1.30
    VS-700C 1.31
VS-700 Drivers 2.0.1.0

The main problem I'm having is I'm getting no sound from the Fantom synth.  Everything appears to be fine.  There are no error messages.  I can insert the softsynth track just fine, and the Fantom VS Editor pops right up.  The MIDI input is working.  I can insert any other softsynth and get sound.  But not from the Fantom.  There's no sound, and the meters don't move.  It just sits there, looking smug, with not a peep and no sign of life.

I'm at wit's end.  I spoke with a support person from Cakewalk this evening but he couldn't help me.  I asked about an upgrade to X1, holding out hope that my mysterious problem will vanish with an update.  I've been assured I'll get an upgrade, I just haven't been told how or when. 

I'm dead in the water.  Everything else seems to be working, but I haven't gone much farther than this, so I don't know for sure.  One of the demo songs on the Additional Content CD causes my Sonar to crash about mid-way through.  Not sure why, yet, but one thing at a time....

Any suggestions? 

~ Heather Haze
http://heatherhaze.com/

22 Replies Related Threads

bnova
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2012/04/14 18:41:44 (permalink)
    Hi Heather,

Since you are running 64Bit you need to download the Fantom Hotfix. Fantom works fine with 32 bit installation, but has issues with 64 Bit Window's 7. You should be able to find it in the support pages or have one of Cakewalk's technical people send you the file via email.

Mike
    bnova
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2012/04/14 18:47:07 (permalink)
    Heather

Looks like the hotfix has been replaced with this update- Download the Fantom VS Editor & ARX Editor Installer

Hopefully downloading this will solve your problem. I guess you could ask Cake to send you the Hotfix file if still available. The small print indicates that this will have the same result as the hotfix. Mike
    HeatherHaze
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2012/04/14 23:27:28 (permalink)
    bnova

Heather

Looks like the hotfix has been replaced with this update- Download the Fantom VS Editor & ARX Editor Installer

Hopefully downloading this will solve your problem. I guess you could ask Cake to send you the Hotfix file if still available. The small print indicates that this will have the same result as the hotfix. Mike

Thanks Mike, but I've already done that one.  No luck.  Today I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the drivers and updates.  I even reloaded the firmware update for the Fantom, just in case.  No changes.  Unless I'm missing something, or there's some hidden quirk yet to be discovered, it's starting to look like a hardware issue.  If it is, it would be the first issue I've ever had with Roland gear.  Since it's still fresh out of the box it shouldn't be a problem sending it in.  But what a royal pain.  I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope that there's some little secret gimmick I have yet to discover.  But it's not looking good...

I'm still open to ALL suggestions, so please keep them coming if you have any.  Thanks!!!   

)-|-(  Heather
    Dyonight
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 529
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2012/04/15 11:47:49 (permalink)

Hi Heather,

I would be surprised it is a hardware issue (not impossible though), I and some others went through similar issues with thier first installation.
    What worked for me:

1. Go to option -midi peripheral (or something like this, my version is in french...) and then deselect everything but leave the console and your midi keyboard if you have one.

2. Insert the Fantom in your project with an instrument track in the insert pop-up window.

3. If it still not work, go in the Fantom VS editor, go to setup - Set up midi device - and make shure you have "Fantom VS (VS-700)" selected for both the input and output. The "Through" section should both be set to "NONE" and the device ID should be "17".

Hope this help a little, at least that worked for me when I first installed it with Sonar 8.3.1

post edited by Dyonight - 2012/04/15 11:49:33

Sonar Platinum (Latest monthly update) / Roland A300-pro / AMD FX-8350 / Firepro V4900 / 16gb ram / RME HDSPe MadiFx
    HeatherHaze
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2012/04/15 12:40:24 (permalink)
    Dyonight

Hi Heather,

I would be surprised it is a hardware issue (not impossible though), I and some others went through similar issues with thier first installation.
    What worked for me:

1. Go to option -midi peripheral (or something like this, my version is in french...) and then deselect everything but leave the console and your midi keyboard if you have one.

2. Insert the Fantom in your project with an instrument track in the insert pop-up window.

3. If it still not work, go in the Fantom VS editor, go to setup - Set up midi device - and make shure you have "Fantom VS (VS-700)" selected for both the input and output. The "Through" section should both be set to "NONE" and the device ID should be "17".

Hope this help a little, at least that worked for me when I first installed it with Sonar 8.3.1
    Thanks for the reply, Dyonight!  Unfortunately, this is something I've already tried (many times).  Just to be sure, I tried again.  The only thing different, for me, is if I try to set the "Through" section to "none" it just reverts back to my previous setting (in this case, "Fantom VS (VS-700)".  I tried setting this to "IO MIDI (VS-700)", just to "get it out of the way" so to speak, but that didn't help either.  Right now all four remain set to "Fantom VS (VS-700)" which is, I believe, correct. 

I'm still willing to try anything, so don't hesitate to keep the suggestions coming.  ;)

Thanks,

~ HH
    Zo
    Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5036
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2012/04/15 12:48:55 (permalink)
    i dowloaded this upadte ...32 bits here ...my arx DRUM ....was doing the same ....after rebouts it's working .....more and more , i tend to never use the power i have on board ......i'm keeping the VS 700 R because of VS 700C montoring ....

Sad cause i use 50% of the power of the VS 700R ....

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
    Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
    Softube Summit EQ
    IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

HeatherHaze
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2012/04/16 16:41:20 (permalink)
    YAY!!!

I finally got this working.  Since this was a strange one, I thought I'd share the solution for posterity.  Interestingly, it was a tech guru at Sweetwater who gave me the answer.  But I still had to go through Cakewalk tech support to actually make the fix. 

It turns out there's a rare glitch that can cause the Windows registry to fail to update properly, causing the Fantom to not receive MIDI information.  I have no idea what the cause is, but the solution is a simple registry tweak you can download from Cakewalk.  Bingo!  Problem fixed.  But you have to go through tech support to get it.

While diagnosing the problem, I also learned how to run the Fantom in hardware mode.  I had done everything right, except for one thing:  I didn't know you had to put the audio track in INPUT ECHO mode.  Sheesh!  So basically, you insert an audio track, set the input to Stero VS-700 FANTOM VS and set INPUT ECHO for that track on.   Then you can run the synth from a MIDI track by selecting the MIDI output port as FANTOM VS (VS-700).  If you've installed the Fantom VS Instrument Definitions for that port, you can select all the channels, banks and patches from the MIDI port. 

By the way, the Fantom ROCKS.  So worth the trouble.  :)

I hope this helps somebody else down the line.  This was a very tricky fix and I couldn't find a peep about it on the Internet.  Maybe this will help.  :)

All the best,

)-|-(  Heather Haze

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2012/04/16 21:18:11 (permalink)
    Wow! Who knew? lol. I'm glad you got it worked out Heather. The Fantom is awesome. I don't know how far you've gotten into the editor pages but you'll be amazed at the the ability to tailor the sounds-voices in each channel. The Fantom is actually a scaled down version of the Fantom G keyboards. I only wish it had a 256 polyphony limit instead of 128.

Craig DuBuc
    gabrielmesservier
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2013/05/21 16:44:14 (permalink)
    Hi

I have exactly the same problem...can you tell me what to do?
    thanks
    Crg
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2013/05/21 17:14:02 (permalink)
    Hi Gabriel, look in your Fantom Editor, And tell me what you have listed in the inputs and outputs of setup. You should have Fantom VS (VS700) listed in all four spots. It's usually a input output  problem. Same thing with your track inputs and outputs. Whether or not you are using 64 bit 0r 32 bit. Look in your midi devices and make sure your midi devices are enabled, ei., your midi keyboard, midi router if you're using one, Fantom VS (VS-700), IO Midi (VS700). Uncheck ARX, DV-7, V-Link. 
    Also list what Sonar version you are using, What Windows version. After that we'll update your instrument definitions and some other stuff and make it work better.

Craig DuBuc
    gabrielmesservier
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2013/05/22 09:36:29 (permalink)
    Hi Craig, Thank you for your help. Yes i have Fantom VS (VS700) listed in all four spots. All my MIDI devices is ok and checked. All my other Syth works perfectly. The keyboard of the Fantom vs moves but there is no sound and no movement VU. Exactly the same thing Heather Haze. I have a computer Rain Ion A2 with Windows 8 64 bit With Sonar X2 X2a 64 bit. All the update is made​​. thank you so much! It's been a month that a person of Roland tried to help me with no result...
    dahjah
    • Total Posts : 313
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2013/05/22 10:52:22 (permalink)
    Nice pc that Ion, I got one as well.
    Crg
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2013/05/22 16:19:13 (permalink)
    gabrielmesservier

Hi Craig, Thank you for your help. Yes i have Fantom VS (VS700) listed in all four spots. All my MIDI devices is ok and checked. All my other Syth works perfectly. The keyboard of the Fantom vs moves but there is no sound and no movement VU. Exactly the same thing Heather Haze. I have a computer Rain Ion A2 with Windows 8 64 bit With Sonar X2 X2a 64 bit. All the update is made​​. thank you so much! It's been a month that a person of Roland tried to help me with no result...

Show me a list of what you have checked in Midi Devices and how your track inputs and outputs are assigned. Since you are using 64 bit Sonar, make sure you click on the bit-bridge symbol after minimizing and maximizing. What Midi channel is your keyboard sending?

Craig DuBuc
    gabrielmesservier
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2013/05/23 14:40:35 (permalink)
    Hi

Checked in midi devise is:
    -A pro midi in
    -A pro 1
    -A pro 2
    -Console vs 700
    -DV-7 vs 700
    -v link vs 700
    -Fantom vs vs 700
    -io midi vs 700
    the input track of the fantom it is write omni and the out is master.
    My A-800 pro is on channel 1.
    What is the bit-bridge symbol?
    thanks
    Crg
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2013/05/23 16:08:23 (permalink)
    gabrielmesservier

Hi

Checked in midi devise is:
    -A pro midi in
    -A pro 1
    -A pro 2
    -Console vs 700
    -DV-7 vs 700
    -v link vs 700
    -Fantom vs vs 700
    -io midi vs 700
    the input track of the fantom it is write omni and the out is master.
    My A-800 pro is on channel 1.
    What is the bit-bridge symbol?
    thanks

Uncheck DV-7
    Uncheck Vlink
    Uncheck A-Pro Midi in
    In control Surfaces, for the first controller list the V700C if you're using it:
    VS-700_1-Console (VS700) in the in port and out port
    2nd controller:
    A-Pro-1 - A-Pro 2 in the in port, A-Pro in the out port.
    The bit bridge symbol is on the task bar since you're using 64 bit. It looks like a plug or something. Do those things and save, then close Sonar and reboot the DAW, open sonar and the project with the Fantom, change your input to channel one for now. See if you have sound.

Craig DuBuc
    gabrielmesservier
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2013/05/23 16:41:16 (permalink)
    Hi
    no sound...
    Crg
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2013/05/24 10:31:22 (permalink)
    You must be missing something. What patches do you have loaded in the Fantom Editor? open the mixer page and see. You should have 16 instances of true piano loaded upon first opening. Go through your setup again, make sure you have input echo turned on  the input or synth track, see if you have midi activity on the synth meter. Are you using an instrument track?

Craig DuBuc
    gabrielmesservier
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2013/05/24 18:38:25 (permalink)
    hi
    i dont understand...all my setting is ok...
    i have do a test project with the fantom vs.
    I have absolute no sound from the fantom but when i record the track record something
    but i can ear nothing! All my other syth is perfect...
    When i send my project test to the roland guy he said they have sound...??
    It possible that my 700r have a probleme?
    Crg
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2013/05/24 18:56:06 (permalink)
    gabrielmesservier

hi
    i dont understand...all my setting is ok...
    i have do a test project with the fantom vs.
    I have absolute no sound from the fantom but when i record the track record something
    but i can ear nothing! All my other syth is perfect...
    When i send my project test to the roland guy he said they have sound...??
    It possible that my 700r have a probleme?

It's possible that your setup is wrong. You sent a project to Roland and they had sound. So, here's the logic, something in your chain-setup isn't right. You didn't answer my questions completely. What are your inputs and outputs? What is listed in Sonar track view? You are recording data but can't hear it, that means something in your equipment chain isn't set right. There is a great amount of detail in these setups, this art, this system. You have to re-examine what you are doing and become aware of all the computer variables and software variables until it works. Mine works, mine is slightly different than yours, examine it and tell me what isn't working. There is no quick fix, there are too many variables due to different computers and software. You will find it, study it, it is bigger than you thought it was.

Craig DuBuc
    gabrielmesservier
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2013/10/08 14:42:48 (permalink)
    After months of looking, a guy from Cakewalk support gave me a hotfix file that set my problem! finally!!!!!
    It was really a problem. Not a bad setup.

Thanks
    keneds
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2013/11/10 10:29:27 (permalink)
    Could someone give me help on what my my track input and output settings should be set to? I'm not getting any signal and I think I have my settings messed up between the dx track and the audio track.

SONAR Platinum  
    Dell XPS17 /  External 23" touch screen & 22" HP displays/Windows 10 64bit i5 processor/  
    8Gb ram/500GB (7200rpm SATA HD)/Roland VS-700 set/KRK rockit 6/KRK 10" sub and a bunch of cables
    EZdrummer2 / EZmix2

h11poc
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:No Sound from Fantom VS 2015/06/26 21:21:09 (permalink)
    HeatherHaze
    YAY!!!

I finally got this working.  Since this was a strange one, I thought I'd share the solution for posterity.  Interestingly, it was a tech guru at Sweetwater who gave me the answer.  But I still had to go through Cakewalk tech support to actually make the fix. 

It turns out there's a rare glitch that can cause the Windows registry to fail to update properly, causing the Fantom to not receive MIDI information.  I have no idea what the cause is, but the solution is a simple registry tweak you can download from Cakewalk.  Bingo!  Problem fixed.  But you have to go through tech support to get it.

While diagnosing the problem, I also learned how to run the Fantom in hardware mode.  I had done everything right, except for one thing:  I didn't know you had to put the audio track in INPUT ECHO mode.  Sheesh!  So basically, you insert an audio track, set the input to Stero VS-700 FANTOM VS and set INPUT ECHO for that track on.   Then you can run the synth from a MIDI track by selecting the MIDI output port as FANTOM VS (VS-700).  If you've installed the Fantom VS Instrument Definitions for that port, you can select all the channels, banks and patches from the MIDI port. 

By the way, the Fantom ROCKS.  So worth the trouble.  :)

I hope this helps somebody else down the line.  This was a very tricky fix and I couldn't find a peep about it on the Internet.  Maybe this will help.  :)

All the best,

)-|-(  Heather Haze

Heather - where did you get the download link ? Did technical support give it to you, send it to you? do you have the file they sent you? I am in exactly the same position you were in - everything is set up fine but no sound from the Fantom. 

Paul
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1