Amazing Grace - your thoughts please

Author
wicker1000
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 43
2012/04/14 12:51:03 (permalink)

Amazing Grace - your thoughts please

Hi,
May I have some thoughts/inputs on this version of Amazing Grace?  My co-worker on vocals (first time being recorded).   I want to do justice to her great voice and keep a simple, uncluttered, soft mix.  Had to compress vocals to tame a bit.  I used Channel Tools with some minor delay to increase width...but trying not to gimmick it up at all.  Have a few random noises I'll try to clean up as well before doing a final mix.  Also used a Cakewalk strings synth - does it work OK in the mix?

Total newbie at this but would like to create a version that we're not embarrassed to send around to friends and family.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=772053&songID=11573348

PS - it's 4/4 time which I know is unusual for this song.

Thanks folks.
wicker1000 

9 Replies Related Threads

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Amazing Grace - your thoughts please 2012/04/14 13:08:45 (permalink)
    Hi James, this is absolutely stunning ! I wouldn't change a thing, but what do I know ; ) Beautiful.

Rik
    malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:Amazing Grace - your thoughts please 2012/04/14 14:53:14 (permalink)
    Without doubt one of the very best interpretations I have heard of this lovely song. The vocals are wonderful - what a marvelous voice your co-worker has. As for the Cakewalk strings synth, it's fine - provides just the right amount of depth to the sound without being intrusive. My only very small suggestion would be to bring in the full string orchestra at the verse starting around 2:55 and then revert back to what you already have for the final verse. It would just add an extra dimension to an already excellent piece.

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Amazing Grace - your thoughts please 2012/04/14 15:00:16 (permalink)
    Hey James
    Love that Dobro!  I wouldn't change a thing.  This mix has great space/vibe and the performace has emotion. GREAT JOB!

Kev
    post edited by drumstixkev - 2012/04/14 15:02:11

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re:Amazing Grace - your thoughts please 2012/04/14 17:14:34 (permalink)
    James,

This was a pleasure to listen to.  Not having heard the vocals dry it is hard to recommend cutting back on the verb/compressor, but just slightly less might be better.  You might also want to work on how you cut the track volumes when the song ends.  It is a bit too abrupt when listening to the song with the volume turned up.  Tapering the volume down might be a good idea.

I loved the levels of each component (including the voice).  Perfect to my ears.

Glen
    wicker1000
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    Re:Amazing Grace - your thoughts please 2012/04/15 00:56:55 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for sharing your comments and suggestions.  Malcolmb, I do like your idea on adding some more strings to one of the later verses to keep the interest level high.  I will noodle that one.  (Originally I tried Dobro but I just couldn't make it work, outside the solo.)

Gcolbert, good suggestions, esp on the fadeout...

My friend/co-worker will be very appreciative to hear the compliments on her voice!

Thanks all.
    wicker1000
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Amazing Grace - your thoughts please 2012/04/15 09:53:09 (permalink)
    Hi wicker1000,

You did a great job on this.  I love the vocal.  One small comment is that I wish the vocal was centered and not split.  Her voice is so beautiful that is seems unnatural to have it split left and right.  The dobro sounds great like this.  Very touching production.  Tell your friend she did super!

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Amazing Grace - your thoughts please 2012/04/15 11:24:38 (permalink)
    This is a beautiful rendition of an old classic.  Others have good ideas, but if you left it alone it would still be fine.  Sometimes less is more.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Rick O Shay
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 115
    Re:Amazing Grace - your thoughts please 2012/04/16 21:39:26 (permalink)
    Take that nasty widening effect off the vocals, please!  A song like this begs for a focused vocal.  Don't lessen it's impact by putting (in your words) gimmick FX on it.  A little reverb will do nicely

If you want to widen up the song you could add one (or more) similar string synth sounds playing the same part and pan the sounds to give a subtle but wide-sounding bed for the rest of the music to sit on.  Go easy on it though.  A little goes a long way.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Amazing Grace - your thoughts please 2012/04/17 08:20:35 (permalink)
    Very nice. I love the simplicity of the version. 

Comments:  

Did this lady sing this tune like this? What I mean, without melodyne or pitch correction?  That sounded so pure and perfect. 

I'd reduce the compression on the vocals. Let the vocal breathe.  It kinda sounded like compression was on the dobro too.  I can live with the reverb OK, the compression needs to be lightened up.

Also, the EQ needs fixing.  It sounds like the highs are all rounded off. There is no crispness or "air" to the sound. This might be a result of the compression. 

don't try to increase the width by delays and FX.   If you really want to give it more width... try doubling. Real doubling, not cloning. Record the acoustic guitar 2 times playing the exact same thing both times..... Pan the acoustics 50% to 80%.... instant width without FX.  

Record the vocal track 3 times and let the lead stay centered. Pan the other 2 vox tracks 50% to 80% and keep them down to the point you really can't hear them well. I find -24 db to be a good starting point. This adds the width but in a very subtle way.... if you can hear the background vox, they are too loud. When it's right, you won't be able to notice the BGV, but the lead will sound wider and fatter. 

As I see it, or hear it, 2 main things.... back off the compression and gently add some high end.  Maybe try the doubling. You have a superb version of this classic song. Tweeze it a bit. 

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2012/04/17 08:28:26

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1