"Daddy Don't Go" - written for my pop.

Author
wineshop
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 185
2012/04/17 00:38:43 (permalink)

"Daddy Don't Go" - written for my pop.

I wrote this a few months after my dad passed away. It was really sudden (heart attack) and obviously crushed me. This is musically fairly straight forward and simple (as that was his type of music), but hopefully it's a message that could be from any son to his dad. I was trying to avoid writing something overly sad. Any feedback - on the song or playing or mix, etc. would be appreciated. Any particular melody or lyric or idea jump out at you? Any suggestions on changes? I'm all ears and always trying to learn. Thanks.

Daddy Don't Go

7 Replies Related Threads

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:"Daddy Don't Go" - written for my pop. 2012/04/17 07:23:42 (permalink)
    You have a great voice. A wonderful tribute to your Dad.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:"Daddy Don't Go" - written for my pop. 2012/04/17 09:58:28 (permalink)
    Really well put together, and appreciated the little molodic licks that play throughout the track in the background. More upbeat than most songs of this circumstance, however I still felt the pain a little towards the end as the title was constantly repeated (which is a good thing IMO).

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:"Daddy Don't Go" - written for my pop. 2012/04/17 12:24:01 (permalink)
    Very nice tribute to your father.  This is a good production and fun to listen to.  Keep up the good work.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:"Daddy Don't Go" - written for my pop. 2012/04/17 14:36:45 (permalink)
    This is an outstanding song and a deeply meaningful tribute - your feelings for your father and your deep loss come through crystal clear. As an excellently written and produced piece of music I would not change a thing. However (!) if you did decide to rethink the production, I would suggest you think about turning it into a Country Music piece. The song is so good, it would easily work in that genre as the Country essence is there already. Cut back on the strings, keyboard and so forth and add a Country ensemble. I can definitely imagine many of the top Country performers wanting to sing this.

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:"Daddy Don't Go" - written for my pop. 2012/04/17 15:51:16 (permalink)
    Great song and a very nice tribute to your father. Very well done!

The mix seems mid rangy to me. You can probably nix that in the mastering. Do an exaggerated scoop to find the right spot and bring it back till it's just right. If you do it with mid/side eq and just cut it in the center, that would probably do the trick.

Nice!!!
    post edited by Guitarpima - 2012/04/17 15:52:36

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:"Daddy Don't Go" - written for my pop. 2012/04/17 20:18:18 (permalink)
    Nice tune.  I tried to write one for my Dad but just couldn't do it.   So, instead, my sister Eva and I will do a song that he wrote.  It's taken a lot of years and I hope we can do it justice.  You did a really nice job and I'm sure your Dad loves it.  I wish I had the talent for meaningful lyrics like you obviously do.  Nicely played too!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    wineshop
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 185
    Re:"Daddy Don't Go" - written for my pop. 2012/04/17 22:47:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for listening, and for the kind words - and the suggestions.

malcolmb - the guy who played piano suggested the same thing. I think if I knew someone who could throw down a steel guitar and maybe a fiddle I might give that idea a try. When I was in Austin I knew dozens - but those days have long past! But I'll certainly keep it in mind.

And Guitarpima - I will tweak on the master EQ and give that a try. Thank you for the feedback.

Thanks again to all for taking the time to listen and comment.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1