Need help getting the most out of mastering on Sonar for my next album

Author
RavenMFD
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2012/04/17 06:43:47 (permalink)

Need help getting the most out of mastering on Sonar for my next album

Hey guys,

I'm currently recording my second release, but I find myself having the same issue I had with the first one, the tracks always end up sounding sort of flat. When I listen to other songs all the instruments sound so separated whereas mine seems like everything is sort of merged down unto each other.
 It's been 3 years since I first started writing/recording my first release and I have evolved a lot since then as a musician and producer (also upgraded a lot of my instruments, for instance I no longer use a dynamic mic for vocals), naturally, I want to make this one sound far more professional, but I still can't quite get that much desired umph in my mixes. I have tried more panning, more stereo widening, EQ filtering...

It would mean the world to me if you can take a listen to some of my first songs and give me anything from quick tips to articles I could read that would help me better my mixes.

www.myfataldesire.com/music

Thank you very much in advance!

Edit: Link
post edited by RavenMFD - 2012/04/17 06:48:46

12 Replies Related Threads

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Need help getting the most out of mastering on Sonar for my next album 2012/04/17 07:15:56 (permalink)
    The mixes sound pretty good for the most part. I do not have any immediate suggestions. Drunken Lullaby is a tad "uninspired" but the others are quite nice. Keep working the way you are.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    RavenMFD
    Re:Need help getting the most out of mastering on Sonar for my next album 2012/04/17 07:27:15 (permalink)
     Thank you very much for listening Shad, really glad you enjoyed it. And for the honesty, the upcoming stuff is only going up!
     If you think of anything please let me know, cheers!

Raven W,
    Musician
    www.myfataldesire.com

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Need help getting the most out of mastering on Sonar for my next album 2012/04/17 08:09:20 (permalink)
    What plugs are you using for the mastering part? 

To my ears and on a computer's small speakers, It sounds pretty good.  A bit dark and perhaps subdued. 

"Wonder"  seems to have a bit of a mid bump that I would personally flatten a bit.  I heard this in other tunes as well when I browsed them briefly. 

Aside from some small EQ things, I think it sounds pretty good. 

The autotune vocals while mild, give it a certain sound quality in the vocals that I don't like. AT imparts an ambience that I find distracting.  Your voice sounds to be good enough that AT should not be necessary.  For the singer songwriter style a natural voice would lend better to the music..... use AT to fix any off tune parts, but keep it transparent. And.... some slightly pitchy notes does work well in SS style music. 

You mentioned in the OP .....  but I still can't quite get that much desired umph in my mixes. I have tried more panning, more stereo widening, EQ filtering...    

I think the biggest problem is in the choice of songs.  None of them are particularly uptempo or have much umph in them to start with. They mostly tend to be slow and dark. You can't get it if it's not there to begin with. Start by writing more uptempo songs.  Then the punch is easy to highlight. 

All of this is of course, only my opinion. 
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2012/04/17 08:12:42

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    RavenMFD
    Re:Need help getting the most out of mastering on Sonar for my next album 2012/04/17 08:25:00 (permalink)
    Thanks for taking the time Guitarhacker!

I'm was using AKG K240 for those songs, now I have that AND Sennheiser HD 598, just to try more outputs.
     I think you're right about AT, back then I had to AT almost the entire vocal track, but in my current recordings I'm using it very sparsely or none at all, relying more on re-recording rather than AT to iron out faulty notes.

I think you make a pretty good point, a few of my new songs are way more upbeat and I will definitely put your theory to the test, thanks again mate!

Raven W,
    Musician
    www.myfataldesire.com

malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:Need help getting the most out of mastering on Sonar for my next album 2012/04/17 09:39:34 (permalink)
    Hi RavenMFD - I've just played through all the songs and overall you have some great music there. I think the problem is the first track. People are going to judge the whole CD by that first track and frankly, it does not say to me "I want to hear more". Which is a huge shame as the other tracks are excellent.

I read a piece of wise advice by a top music producer on how to write a successful piece of music. You have to grab the listener in the first five seconds. Then again after twenty seconds and then every thirty seconds thereafter. The first five seconds are when the listener decides if they want to hear more and they keep on deciding at each point in the music. The first track starts OK but then there is no variety to the sound until 2:38. What you do at 2:38 is fantastic. All I would do is to use this end section at least two more times in the piece. Quiet, then build up, then quiet again and so forth. It would add real power to the piece.

An instrumental passage in the songs would also help add interest.

The alternative is to change the order. There is not reason why the title track of the CD has to be first and all of the other tracks would definitely grab the listeners attention.

Hope this helps
    Best Wishes
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    RavenMFD
    Re:Need help getting the most out of mastering on Sonar for my next album 2012/04/17 09:47:58 (permalink)
     Malcolm, thank you very much for your feedback, I thought about what you said and I think it makes a lot of sense. I will definitely keep that in mind with my next release and provide where I failed to in the first one you just listened to! I especially like the quiet then build up and then repeat, reminds me of one of my favourite songs.

Thanks again for your time! If you think of anything else please write to me!

PS I'm changing the order of the songs on my sites and social networks as you suggested!

Raven W,
    Musician
    www.myfataldesire.com

ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:Need help getting the most out of mastering on Sonar for my next album 2012/04/17 09:54:01 (permalink)
    Drunken Lullaby....

After the last Burn In Hell...think - My Chemical Romance - helena....burning on, just like the match strike to incinerate....you could do that. That would make this song epic.

There's some artifacts in Wonder with vocal. Sounds like you're doing some digital clipping. had to bolt, I'll come back.

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    RavenMFD
    Re:Need help getting the most out of mastering on Sonar for my next album 2012/04/17 10:01:31 (permalink)
    That would be pretty cool bro! Copyright bonanza though!

Yeah? Please do. When you get the time, it would be great to know what to avoid as of today.

Cheers!

Raven W,
    Musician
    www.myfataldesire.com

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Need help getting the most out of mastering on Sonar for my next album 2012/04/17 11:04:47 (permalink)
    Get a haircut...
    just kidding... really... everything here sounds really well done to me... maybe a little overcompressed... It's all very loud...

I think you are on the right track, and your songs/productions will just get better and better... good work...  
    RavenMFD
    Re:Need help getting the most out of mastering on Sonar for my next album 2012/04/17 11:37:16 (permalink)
    Haircut? Guys! We have an impostor here! :O
     Haha, cheers mate, I'll be cutting back on the compression significantly! And thank you very much!

Raven W,
    Musician
    www.myfataldesire.com

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Need help getting the most out of mastering on Sonar for my next album 2012/04/17 12:03:32 (permalink)
    As others have said, your songs are pretty dark, but you're smart to have minimal arrangements for them.  I had no trouble understanding your lyrics because you put your vocal in front which I think is smart.  The lyrics are kind of depressing on some songs, but the rawness of the mixes works in your favor.  I agree that AT is overused, so concentrate on tracking strong vocal performances.  And, I hope you have relationships that can make you feel good, and if you do, try writing about them.  It's not as easy as you might think.  Sometimes it's easier to complain than praise.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    RavenMFD
    Re:Need help getting the most out of mastering on Sonar for my next album 2012/04/17 12:50:33 (permalink)
     Thank you very much for taking the time Lynn! I enjoyed reading your feedback! I no longer use AT as much, barely even any! You'll be glad to hear on my next release I have moved away from the topic of romance on some songs and within the kingdom of romance I have at least one "good" relationship song! Hope you stick around to find out!

Raven W,
    Musician
    www.myfataldesire.com

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1