New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1

Author
grayzer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 254
2012/04/17 12:54:21 (permalink)

New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1

Hi guys Just wanted to let you know that my band's new EP is available to listen/download/buy CD on http://www.reclaimmusic.com I hope you like! Facebookers can post on http://www.facebook.com/reclaimmusic I've already posted "Clearwater" here but here's another (short) song called "Forgive" http://soundcloud.com/reclaim/3-forgive

Please listen to my band's new (post-prog rock?!) songs at www.reclaimmusic.com all produced using sonar X1!!

19 Replies Related Threads

grayzer
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/18 15:41:51 (permalink)
    Um, any opinions on this one from a production point of view?

Please listen to my band's new (post-prog rock?!) songs at www.reclaimmusic.com all produced using sonar X1!!
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/18 16:01:52 (permalink)
    nice song.
    It's difficult to know what you were going for from a production point of view.
    For me, it has the feel of 80's indie (The Smiths, Orange Juice). If that's what you were going for, good stuff.
    If you were going for a more current sound then maybe more dirt/saturation on the vocals/guitars/drums - make it more lo-fi a la White Stripes, Black Keys, The Hives.
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/18 16:52:03 (permalink)
    From a production point of view, at least on my speakers, the vocals could be bought up some.  From a musical point of view, i dig it.  Definitely has that late 80's, early 90's vibe to it.  for my tastes it sounds a little too clean.  maybe i listen to too much music that is intentionally bit-depth reduced lol.  overall good stuff!
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/18 17:43:03 (permalink)
    Nicely done. I get a Stone Temple Pilots/Queens of The Stone Age vibe from "Forgive".

The mix is great. Clean, tight. I agree the vox could come up more without harm.

Enjoyed that.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    grayzer
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/20 10:25:13 (permalink)
    Interesting the agreement on the 80's 90's sourt of sound. We weren't "going" for any particular type of sound, that's just how it turned out, although we are trying tokeep things clean and hi fi. The guitarist is kind of in that headspace musically and this is definitely mainly his song, as oppoesed to my other ercent offering which was more collaborative (and therefore proggier when u get me and drummy involved in the songwriting)We always fight about the vocal levels in our band - as the mixer I find myself about half way between the drummer and the vocalist. personally I think vox are mixed too high these days in general. Anyway, thanks for listening, I'm glad ye enjoyed it! It was a song that was written and arranged very quickly but took longer to edit and mix.

foxwolfen
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/20 13:24:44 (permalink)
    Well, Queens of the Stone Age are a band from the 2000's and is still around today.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Mahavishnu
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/20 13:37:24 (permalink)
    Your voice has a strong resemblance to Randy California of the legendary band "Spirit" particularly the last bar of "Forgive"

Ireno Funes

Still searching for the ultimate riff

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=739631

Sonar Platinum 64, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Goliath & Fab Four, Yamaha S90, Audient iD14,
    Prodipe BiAMp Monitors, Dell Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40Ghz, Windows 10, x64Bit, 32Gb Ram.
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/22 19:02:22 (permalink)
    This is one of the best songs (Forgive) I've heard on this forum recently.  This reminds me of a very obscure 80's band called Bourgeois Tagg.  To me, this is interesting with two thumbs up.  Good production as well.  

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    grayzer
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/23 09:05:23 (permalink)
    @Lynn Thanks very much. Never heard of Bourgeois Tagg! @Mahavishnu that not me singing, it's our vocalist/guitarist Glenn Brady. I've heard of Randy California and Spirit but I don'y know there stuff. I must check it out. I know for sure our vocalist hasn't heard of them!! Thanks for listening ;-) Is there any particular Spirit song you have in mind that you can hear that similarity?

Mahavishnu
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/24 08:43:00 (permalink)
    Twelve Dream of Dr. Sardonicus is a classic Spirit album - check out the track Nature's Way by Randy - also a great cover version by Christopher Cross.

Ireno Funes

Still searching for the ultimate riff

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=739631

Sonar Platinum 64, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Goliath & Fab Four, Yamaha S90, Audient iD14,
    Prodipe BiAMp Monitors, Dell Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40Ghz, Windows 10, x64Bit, 32Gb Ram.
    grayzer
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/25 16:22:10 (permalink)
    Cool, I'llcheck it out.

grayzer
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/25 16:24:53 (permalink)
    daryl1968

nice song.
    It's difficult to know what you were going for from a production point of view.
    For me, it has the feel of 80's indie (The Smiths, Orange Juice). If that's what you were going for, good stuff.
    If you were going for a more current sound then maybe more dirt/saturation on the vocals/guitars/drums - make it more lo-fi a la White Stripes, Black Keys, The Hives.

Nah, that's exactly what I don't want to do - don't want to follow trends. There's another song there on my site called called Keep it down that has more lo fi on the vox but no I find bands like black keys/white stripes to be ...well, not my thing. Ok, wimpy, there, I said it. Limp wristed rock. Hmm maybe I shouldn't type while I'm in this mood!!

foxwolfen
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/25 16:42:19 (permalink)
    Maybe its a matter of perspective. Perhaps it can be viewed less as following a trend and more of giving the song what it needs. Certain songs lend themselves to certain production styles.

I do understand the resistance to comparisons with other music. I, for one, try to be original, but often this is hard to do (and according to RIAA, impossible ), and inevitably comparisons are made.

I try hard to minimize making such comparisons myself, but occasionally I do. Most often they are meant as a compliment. In this case, I made my comparisons to show that the style is actually still current, and not dated as such comparisons often leave me feeling.

Composers Forum
    grayzer
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/26 00:48:57 (permalink)
    foxwolfen

Maybe its a matter of perspective. Perhaps it can be viewed less as following a trend and more of giving the song what it needs. Certain songs lend themselves to certain production styles.

I do understand the resistance to comparisons with other music. I, for one, try to be original, but often this is hard to do (and according to RIAA, impossible ), and inevitably comparisons are made.

I try hard to minimize making such comparisons myself, but occasionally I do. Most often they are meant as a compliment. In this case, I made my comparisons to show that the style is actually still current, and not dated as such comparisons often leave me feeling.

It's also a matter 0of the collaborative process and dealing with oher band members with clashing ideas of how things should sound. In the past our very stubborn vocalist really was totally against any discernible reverb or delay on his voice. He also liked his voice very clear and up in the mix, whereas our drummer likes vox very much to the back! After our last EP I'm happy that the band let me mix pretty much on my own and just chimed in when I uploaded to dropbox. I used the cakewalk vocal strip(the newer one, not the vintage channel) and found I got great results very quickly, and I used a lot more delay and reverb. Of the three of us, I would be most in tune with what is "current", even I listen tolots of 70's stuff on vinyl. I just wanted to go for a cleaner (unhyped) sound, nice and clean and separated like what I like to hear

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/26 14:22:25 (permalink)
    I listened to "Forgive" and was very impressed... Love the sound...
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/26 14:45:55 (permalink)
    this is very cool.  love the bass.  the rhythm guitar does get a little repetitive, IMO, but that seems to fit this style.  great vox.

really nice work!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    grayzer
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/26 17:23:22 (permalink)
    Thanks all! Well, if you like it, share it! @beagle, yeah the guitar is deliberately repetitive on this one - check out http://reclaimmusic.com/track/soul-eaters for more varied work on the geeetar

Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/04/28 13:39:06 (permalink)
    Hi Grayzer
    Like both these tracks - Forgive does sound a little like the Smiths crossed with a bit of Quintessence but who cares, as no matter how original we all try and be, someone can always hear something of someone else's music in ours! 
    Soul Eaters is a really good track and enjoyed listening to that 
    Cheers
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

grayzer
    Re:New songs - new EP - all produced witth Sonar X1 2012/05/08 05:49:57 (permalink)
    HI Nigel thanks for that - glad you found "Soul Eaters" - I like that one too. Yep I hear the Marr influence on the guitar too. Singer is for sure a smiths fan and deffo aware of that. I came up with the bassline separately to tried to rock it up a bit

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1