Helpful ReplyProjects do not always open. SONAR hangs. losing my mind.

Author
dxp
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 252
2012/04/23 14:57:15 (permalink)

Projects do not always open. SONAR hangs. losing my mind.

This happens to me daily. I will open a project and SONAR just hangs. No disk or cpu activity. Click on the X to close the window and it comes back and says SONAR is not responding. Sometimes I can just start SONAR back up and the project opens fine. Usually though I have to open the project in safe mode, close it then it will open normally. Running Produced X1d. It does not seem to matter if it is a complex project with lots of plugins, PC modules or soft synths, or if it is just a simple small audio track only project. It is driving me absolutely crazy. Now I don't know if this is related or not, but my control surface is also having intermittent issues. It is a Tascam FW-1082. This thing was rock solid until I upgraded to Windows 7. Tascam stopped supporting the firewire control surfaces so the code versions for that unit have not kept current. Is is possible the control surface is causing the problems with the projects not opening? There are no error message displayed at all. Thanks for any ideas you all might have. I'll be glad to post more system details if they seem useful. Dave
dxp
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 252
Re:Projects do not always open. SONAR hangs. losing my mind. 2012/04/23 15:03:03 (permalink)
I should have added that this is 32 bit Windows 7.
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re:Projects do not always open. SONAR hangs. losing my mind. 2012/04/23 20:48:26 (permalink)
wrong forum you need the x1 form

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

tunekicker
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1261
Re:Projects do not always open. SONAR hangs. losing my mind. 2012/04/23 22:50:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2017/03/25 14:53:26

I have had intermittent issues with a control surface causing hangs when loading projects (Presonus FaderPort.) If you have another audio interface at your disposal you may want to try hooking that up to see if it works.

Otherwise, it may be related to a plugin, or possibly to a Pro Channel module. 

To test for plugins hold down SHIFT when opening a file to open Sonar in Safe Mode. Choose to skip all the plugins and see if it freezes or loads.

If the project loads when no plugins are loaded you have a plugin causing issues. In this case you can narrow it down by closing the project and open in Safe Mode again, and choosing to load some of the plugins (say from one manufacturer) and try it until you break it.

If you still can't open the file in Safe Mode, try opening it in an older version of Sonar. This strips out any new features added in X1 (like the Pro Channel.) I've had some luck opening files in Sonar 8.5 that wouldn't open in X1. In this case you can usually keep your other plugin settings (unless Safe Mode in 8.5 is necessary to open the file) - you will just have to start again on Pro Channel settings.

For what it's worth, I haven't had this issue with any projects I've started in X1D. It only seems to happen with projects I had opened/created in earlier versions of X1D, and even then it only happened to a few projects.

Lastly, if for some reason you turned your buffers WAY down before trying to load a heavy duty project file I've had this cause issues as well. To solve this open Sonar and check your buffer settings before opening a project.

Good luck!

Peace,

Tunes
robotecho
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
Re:Projects do not always open. SONAR hangs. losing my mind. 2017/03/25 01:45:01 (permalink)
tunekicker
Lastly, if for some reason you turned your buffers WAY down before trying to load a heavy duty project file I've had this cause issues as well. To solve this open Sonar and check your buffer settings before opening a project.

I know this is an old thread, but I have had the same issue the OP had with projects hanging while opening. I believe it is because of the buffer size as quoted above.

I had a project that would hang on opening after upgrading to the latest version of SPLAT. If I opened it in safe mode I could click "Yes" for every plugin and then it would open.

After reading this thread I checked the buffer size in Preferences>Sync and Caching>File system. It was down at 256kb for both playback and record (I think the upgrade might reset that?)

I set both to 1024kb and now the project opens fine as expected. Hope this helps someone.

Note: Edited for clarity.
post edited by robotecho - 2017/03/27 04:30:19

Win 10 64bit, Core i7 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM | Sonar Platinum | NI Komplete 9 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Kenwood KA-87 | Adelaide Speakers Firesprite Monitors | Roland A-800PRO Controller | Moog Sub Phatty | Ibanez RG-470 Guitar | Gretsch G5125 | Ibanez Roadster II RB-850 Bass | Squire Jaguar Vintage Modified Bass | Vox AC15VR | Orange Micro Terror
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Projects do not always open. SONAR hangs. losing my mind. 2017/03/25 09:23:39 (permalink)
I don't really see how you issue, whatever it is and the OP are related.

Better to start you're own thread. Include a brief resume of your hardware and OS. Then a recipe of what creates your problem. Is your problem repeatable if you follow a recipe of steps?

Hardware OS Sonar version etc should be in your signature which can be edited in your personal info and will be in the bottom of your signature in every post. Unfortunately you can't see a signature on portable devices.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
robotecho
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
Re:Projects do not always open. SONAR hangs. losing my mind. 2017/03/27 04:21:15 (permalink)
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

I don't think you have properly read and understood my post. Apologies if it was unclear, I have edited it and tried to make it clearer.

I had the same issue as originally described in the first post of this thread, and it was resolved (temporarily unfortunately) using the advice I quoted in my post, specifically increasing the buffer size. I didn't feel that post gave enough detail on where to set that, so I wanted to add additional information. I was not seeking additional information, so it didn't seem appropriate to start a new thread.

However the issue and the crashes returned so I may start a new thread for the problem.

My full setup is shown in some detail in my signature already, and my post states that this occurred after updating to the latest version of SPLAT, so I'm not sure why you are telling me this.

Win 10 64bit, Core i7 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM | Sonar Platinum | NI Komplete 9 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Kenwood KA-87 | Adelaide Speakers Firesprite Monitors | Roland A-800PRO Controller | Moog Sub Phatty | Ibanez RG-470 Guitar | Gretsch G5125 | Ibanez Roadster II RB-850 Bass | Squire Jaguar Vintage Modified Bass | Vox AC15VR | Orange Micro Terror
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1