"Containment" - Latest song

Author
TysonC
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 61
2012/04/29 23:24:59 (permalink)

"Containment" - Latest song

Available for consumption right here:  http://youtu.be/hR0hcP1NP_Y

I made this song over the course of the last week.  It was supposed to be background music for some small game trailer, but the designer said he didn't like it and down the drain that idea went.

Oh, well.  It was fun to make.  I hope you guys enjoy it :)

9 Replies Related Threads

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:"Containment" - Latest song 2012/04/30 00:39:35 (permalink)
    Well that blows. I feel for you. Never fun to have your work turned down.

Fun tune. You might have been able to wow him more with a much grungier lead, and taken the opportunity to use the breaks to go skrillex on em. The lead was a bit "8 bit" if you know what I mean.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    TysonC
    Re:"Containment" - Latest song 2012/04/30 05:52:42 (permalink)
    Thanks, Shad.

Believe it or not, this version on the song is way pruned down for what I'd like to have done (I figured the guy would have liked it more if it wasn't as electronic as my original vision), but lo and behold it was still too dance-y and not "cinematic" enough.  Shoulda just gone whole-hog and had my fun with some messed up, crunchy dub wubs with some sick lead...

Actually, come to think of it, now that it's not for his project anymore I can make this track a lot more intense in a lot of ways (if I can somehow circumvent Music Maker's crippling limitations on number of instruments and buses).

I probably won't spend all week working on a track for free again any time soon.  Oh, well.  Still had a good time coming up with a simple piano part.

Now, to figure out a way to get more instruments on my board...
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:"Containment" - Latest song 2012/04/30 11:48:37 (permalink)
    This is a nice tune with loads of potential.  If you decide to flesh it out, let us know.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    TysonC
    Re:"Containment" - Latest song 2012/04/30 20:50:08 (permalink)
    Thanks, Lynn.  Any suggestions?
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:"Containment" - Latest song 2012/05/01 14:55:33 (permalink)
    I hope you don't misunderstand me.  I do like the main chord progression, but it keeps repeating.  How about a bridge that modulates up or down a step and a half?  Or,  something that sounds like a chorus with different dynamics than the main progression?  Right now, this is like a cake without icing, but that's OK if that's what you want.
    TysonC

Thanks, Lynn.  Any suggestions?

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:"Containment" - Latest song 2012/05/01 17:21:25 (permalink)
    TysonC

Thanks, Shad.

Believe it or not, this version on the song is way pruned down for what I'd like to have done (I figured the guy would have liked it more if it wasn't as electronic as my original vision), but lo and behold it was still too dance-y and not "cinematic" enough.  Shoulda just gone whole-hog and had my fun with some messed up, crunchy dub wubs with some sick lead...

Actually, come to think of it, now that it's not for his project anymore I can make this track a lot more intense in a lot of ways (if I can somehow circumvent Music Maker's crippling limitations on number of instruments and buses).

I probably won't spend all week working on a track for free again any time soon.  Oh, well.  Still had a good time coming up with a simple piano part.

Now, to figure out a way to get more instruments on my board...

I can't wait to hear that version. I have no suggestion to help you with MM; I do not think I have ever seen one in the wild.  

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re:"Containment" - Latest song 2012/05/03 22:00:33 (permalink)
    Cool stuff, it sounds good to me.  My only crit would be to smooth out the vocal at 1:47.  For my own taste, it stands out a little too much.  Not sure what I would do with it, maybe just bring the level down a tad.  Sorry to hear this didn't work out like you thought it would but it is a good tune regardless.
    TysonC
    Re:"Containment" - Latest song 2012/05/07 16:01:34 (permalink)
    I think I understand what you're saying, Lynn...  I'll work on the chorus and try to make it stand out from the rest of the song with a more varied progression.  This is also an opportunity to bring in some heavy synths!

I'll be back to update this thread whenever I get the new version down.

Thanks for the words, all!
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:"Containment" - Latest song 2012/05/07 17:34:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing Tyson.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1