Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson

Author
stuart3844
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
2012/05/08 20:48:16 (permalink)

Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson

This is the third of my friends Chris and Laurette's songs i am working on. I am hoping this one is getting near to completion, but any advice/comments are welcome. This is a haunting tune that sounded great straight from the tracking. Hope i have done it justice. Hope you enjoy.

http://soundcloud.com/stuartbroughton/alone-chris-and-laurette

13 Replies Related Threads

daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re:Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson 2012/05/08 21:22:50 (permalink)
    very cool - are they playing everything on this or are tthere loops etc?
    The mix sounds great
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson 2012/05/08 21:55:14 (permalink)
    THis is pretty cool. It has an Irish flavor to it. 

The bass sounds synthy to me , especially at the beginning. 

The vocals are pristine! They are the best part of the song to me. 

As it progresses it looses some of the Irish charm, still good though. 

Just a bit more progressive than I was expecting. Hence the synth bass and screaming guitar. 

Nice job.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    stuart3844
    Re:Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson 2012/05/09 02:02:21 (permalink)
    Interesting what you say about the bass sounding synthy, it probably has the least on it. Just EQ, a little reverb and tape sim. On the percussive sections there are two basses playing though.

Everything is played for real, no synths or loops. Thanks for your comments.
    malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson 2012/05/09 04:20:51 (permalink)
    I love this piece. Wonderfully inventive while retaining its Folk roots. The vocals are beautifully sung and the orchestration masterful. My only very small suggestion is to bring the drums up just a little. Great work.

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson 2012/05/09 12:31:09 (permalink)
    What a beautiful, haunting song.  The mix sounded very full and organic.  The overall level was a bit low, but the song has good dynamics which allows it to breathe.  Nice job.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    stuart3844
    Re:Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson 2012/05/09 13:59:13 (permalink)
    Lynn

.....The overall level was a bit low,
    Thanks for you comment Lynn. Yes the level is low. I had the levels up as i would normally do but the whole thing sounded overdriven. Logic is telling me that in the digital world if nothing is clipping (hitting 0dB), which it wasn't, it should be ok. However, my ears were telling me different. So i took 4dB off everything directly ahead of the master bus and took a bit of the master bus too, turned up the volume to compensate and everything sounded much better.

I now need to get the level up without loosing the quality. Pending some more research I haven't done this yet and hence the low overall level.

I guess this long explanation is a cry-out for any tips on this matter. Any offers?????
    malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson 2012/05/09 15:05:21 (permalink)
    Have you tried compression? There are those here much more expert than I who are rightly less than enthusiastic about Boost 11, but used sparingly, it can enhance the overall performance. Add it to the Master Bus and then reduce the 'Input' to about 1 and leave the 'Output' at 0.1. Then play the piece and adjust the 'Input' until you are happy with the sound. I also find the Cakewalk Compression / Gate useful on individual tracks - give it a try (I have Home Studio 7 XL so you may have better facilities if you are using a more advanced version of Sonar).

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson 2012/05/09 15:28:28 (permalink)
    Stuart, Sonitus has a nice compressor which can be used as a limiter by adjusting the ratio to 10:1 or higher.  It's fairly transparent is used judiciously.  As Malcolmb said, Boost 11 is OK if used sparingly.  CW has others, especially the ones built for ProChannel that would do the job.  Regardless, your song doesn't need much treatment to really shine, and if you did nothing at all, it would still sound great.
    stuart3844

Lynn

.....The overall level was a bit low,
    Thanks for you comment Lynn. Yes the level is low. I had the levels up as i would normally do but the whole thing sounded overdriven. Logic is telling me that in the digital world if nothing is clipping (hitting 0dB), which it wasn't, it should be ok. However, my ears were telling me different. So i took 4dB off everything directly ahead of the master bus and took a bit of the master bus too, turned up the volume to compensate and everything sounded much better.

I now need to get the level up without loosing the quality. Pending some more research I haven't done this yet and hence the low overall level.

I guess this long explanation is a cry-out for any tips on this matter. Any offers?????

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    stuart3844
    Re:Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson 2012/05/09 15:59:27 (permalink)
    Previously i have been using Tube Leveler to boost the volume with Boost 11 as well acting just as a look-ahead limiter. Maybe i was getting the overdriven type sound from misuse of Tube Leveler. I was thinking of trying Boost 11 on its own to bring the level up on the basis that it wont change the sound like TL does. However your reservations about B11 are putting be off a bit. I might try ToneBooster's Barricade. I really like there other plug-ins and i have a trial version of this.

I guess experiment and listen is the best tactic. At least with this track i feel i have a decent starting point to make some meaningful comparisons.

Sonar X1 Studio, ToneBooster Voxengo and Klanghelm plugins
    Windows7 64bit on AthlonII x4 631, 8GB
    Studio - Focusrite Saffire Pro40, krk Rokit 5s
    sE2200, 2xsE4s, AKG112, GA R1 Ribbon and loads of SM57s
    Home -  Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Alesis M1 Mk2s, DT990

Facebook - "York Road Studio"

darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson 2012/05/09 21:59:10 (permalink)
    What's not to like.  Sweet sound.  Very nice indeed!

Just to join the comments on compressor... I love the PSP Old Timer.  For $100 this thing has a classic vibe.  You can download a limited time trial version for free.  I used it on a couple of tunes, on all types of tracks and new immediately I would spring for the $100.

Yes I like this tune...   The vocals are supurb, as is all of it.

Daryl

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Razorwit
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1235
    Re:Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson 2012/05/10 02:21:59 (permalink)
    Wow, nice work. This sounds great.

Might do with some nice 2 bus compression as others had suggested and then a limiter. If you have a bit of money to spend look at the IK Multimedia T-Racks stuff (it's actually pretty cheap just now) or Ozone. I second the Old Timer suggestion, but you'll still want a limiter and the IK stuff has all that stuff in a package. 

Shoot me a PM if you want and I can run it (gently!) through my SSL bus comp and then through some light limiting to thicken and push up the levels a bit just to see if you like it.

Dean

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson 2012/05/10 02:38:23 (permalink)
    Wow, I was listening to the blues, then comes this irish fairy.  Ok and a fair smattering of Greensleaves at one point.

This is very Jeferson Airplane.

The mix is awsome, the master needs a little work.

I'm actually super jealous!!!

Great work, I want more of this, this is the music of my heritage.  I want my battle axe and mead and an army to fight and to fight with.

Neb

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    stuart3844
    Re:Alone - An Original Folk Song by Chris and Laurette Watson 2012/05/10 07:56:56 (permalink)
    Regarding mastering and compressors. Does anyome have an opinion on the VC-64 Vintage Channel 1.5 that is included in Producer? Considering the cost of 3rd party mastering plug-ins this might be a good reason to upgrade.
    post edited by stuart3844 - 2012/05/10 07:58:06

Sonar X1 Studio, ToneBooster Voxengo and Klanghelm plugins
    Windows7 64bit on AthlonII x4 631, 8GB
    Studio - Focusrite Saffire Pro40, krk Rokit 5s
    sE2200, 2xsE4s, AKG112, GA R1 Ribbon and loads of SM57s
    Home -  Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Alesis M1 Mk2s, DT990

Facebook - "York Road Studio"

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1