Helpful ReplyNew Song and Video (also free to download)

Author
glaminferno
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2012/05/15 01:30:08 (permalink)

New Song and Video (also free to download)

http://soundcloud.com/the...he-watermarks-run-away Video: http://youtu.be/qzmtZ0s4qtY Thanks for listening!

_

Cesar
Audio / Mix /Sound Design

Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
Re:New Song and Video (also free to download) 2012/05/15 09:59:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
This is a good, hard driving pop song.  The vocals are well performed and recorded, and sit up front in the mix where they belong.  The guitars are recorded well, and are panned far enough apart to give the mix a nice left-right balance.  However, the drums and bass guitar are barely there, and by upping their volume, this song would really have some major drive to it.  The song is good enough to get it right, and I hope you take this into consideration.  All in all, good song, nice job.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
glaminferno
Re:New Song and Video (also free to download) 2012/05/15 10:46:46 (permalink)
Thank you very much for your input. I'll definitely listen to it taking your suggestions in mind.

_

Cesar

foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
Re:New Song and Video (also free to download) 2012/05/15 14:59:07 (permalink)
I think Lynn has given you some pretty good advice. Generally I suggest that less compression be used, but in this case, the kick and bass could both benefit from more. I suspect that the level of reverb on the vox might be there as you are unsure of the vocal quality? I would consider drying it up some. Great "second invasion" sound to this song.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
glaminferno
Re:New Song and Video (also free to download) 2012/05/15 17:06:01 (permalink)
Thank you, foxwolfen. I'll certainly take in mind Lynn's suggestions for when we re-release this song on a physical CD. I totally understand the criticism and while I haven't had time to listen to the song carefully, I think it really could benefit from the drums and bass being a bit more up-front. Right now we're releasing a series of digital singles (3 or 4), leading to the release of a physical CD with all the songs in the singles plus a few other one. This song is already out there, but I'll have one more chance to tweak it for the CD comes out. Now, take in mind that maybe my style of music is not what you typically hear on the radio and sometimes an engineer who's not familiar with the style can misinterpret the mix. For example, the sound on the vocals was intentional, I'm not really trying to mask anything in the way I mixed them. If you would like to listen to some bands that are somewhat comparable to mine, then check Crocodiles, A Place To Bury Strangers, Jesus & Mary Chain, The Raveonettes, Glasvegas, The Vandelles. Listen for style, more than anything. Not all our songs sound like the one I posted, some have a more electronic feel, like this one, from our previous EP: http://soundcloud.com/the...to-be-your-rock-n-roll or this demo: http://soundcloud.com/thewatermarks/play-dead-demo where you will still find the reverb in the vocals, but not in the same degree. All in all, I really appreciate you and Lynn taking the time to listen to my song and making great suggestions. It's always good to have the opinion of other engineers to become aware of certain elements in the mix that we might think are perfect, just because we have become so used to hearing them one way. Thanks again!

_

Cesar

glaminferno
Re:New Song and Video (also free to download) 2012/05/15 17:13:23 (permalink)
I just discovered I'm clueless about formatting in this forum. I just tried to edit my previous post and I get a 500 error message every time. My apologies :(

_

Cesar

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1