Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2012/05/21 18:43:29 (permalink)

4-Leaf Clover

hey guys,

See if you like this song or version:

http://www.reverbnation.com/seattletoaustin

The one at the top-4-leaf clover.

It's a ballady-ambient type piece. Acoustic, but alterered with effects. used hums as an alternative for "strings," basically-giving it a cello-like sound with the hums filling in...  recorded it at home with Sonar X1 producer. Hope you like/enjoy it like it.

The sucky thing was I didn't have it mixed down all the way before x1 lost the project file due to glitches and prob because I had Sonar VS and Also X1 producer-which likely was causing compatibility issues-like where to store files, effects etc..  I've uninstalled Virtual Studio and will uninstall and re-install X1-P sometime. yeah it really sucked-I spent hours on the piece-tinkering around, recording and mixing.

So I ended up having a version saved on the computer that was just one filed that was exported and I re-imported it to X1 to try and work some mix issues out-like the hums were too loud for my taste and so I fiddled around trying to find something and ended up finding out that I could use the multiband EQ to partially correct some of the sound imbalance on the hums-lowering the gain on what part of the mix, etc..

I would've done some other things too if it wouldn't have lost the project file-like add a touch of reverb on the high parts on the main vocal line and also possibly the intro hum.  The main vocal line is basically dry(without a reverb effect)using the Vocal-64 plug-in and tailored a bit with the doubler. compander, etc..

Nonetheless, I think its' a cool song... :)

And feel free to check out another one I did using X1-P-"Icarus." 

7 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:4-Leaf Clover 2012/05/22 10:35:15 (permalink)
    As your song is now, it needs a little meat on the bones to feel complete.  The song itself is OK, but the sparseness of the arrangement makes the song seem a little long.  A little fleshing out would do wonders for this.  I'll stay tuned.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:4-Leaf Clover 2012/05/22 14:24:48 (permalink)
    I think Lynn put it well. It was a bit too melancholy for me. Needs a bit more passion.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    byudog
    Re:4-Leaf Clover 2012/05/22 15:58:02 (permalink)
    Cool. thanks for the feedback. It is a bit lengthy. I could chop off the intro and just jump straight in.

And maybe just add more something. Another acoustic part(s). yeah, I could add a little more dynamics to the piece, vocally.

Will end up redoing it anyway.
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:4-Leaf Clover 2012/05/22 19:42:40 (permalink)
    the echo on the guitar is messing with the timing/flow/feel, and the humming is stepping all over the singing and distracting from an otherwise sweet song... lots of potential... keep at it...
    byudog
    Re:4-Leaf Clover 2012/05/23 14:25:43 (permalink)
    This one was a bit more experimental than usual  I guess.

the original is just acoustic, melody, some harmony in spots and a little more acoustic plucking.

I like the hums, but if they are distracting from the main vocals-I could leave em out. Or maybe just use them in the verses only-none in the chorus OR maybe just use strings(midi) instead and find something new. Might be too repetitive for people. 

When i record the song again, maybe I'll just go for basic acoustic sound and not get all experimental with effects-like the zta or whatever it was that I used-made it more electric or different sounding. sometimes simplicity is better.

I think i'll cut off some of the intro and maybe -rethink using the hums and at least not in the chorus if it is distracting.

So what would you guys add to it to fill or flesh it out if you were doing it? Strings, alternate plucking line in spots or chorus? I don't want to add drums to this piece or bass. the closes to bass I'd get would be a nice cello line. maybe some light piano? MY bro has a keyboard with midi capability, but I'll have to buy or find some midi cables and then try to figure out how to add the midi/piano to it. Not very familiar with working with midi.

thanks.
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:4-Leaf Clover 2012/05/23 17:23:53 (permalink)
    Don't get rid of the hums!!!!!

Just mix them a bit further back and wider in the stereofield perhaps. Some EQ as well so they don't clash with the melody as much. Perhaps you could layer with some harmonies in the lower region to add some S P I C E. But the hums are cool man!

I'd work on a better delay for the guitar too. It's messing with the beat. It's a tad loud I'd say and it doesn't match the tempo of the song at all.

I'd work on your lyrics. Not that they are bad but set it up in some tight and nice verse chorus structure and you'll get the length automagically.

But this will turn into something awesome! Keep at it, it's a great song with nice melody and nice sounding ideas in there.

Good luck!

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:4-Leaf Clover 2012/05/23 21:44:59 (permalink)
    Nice melody and I think there is good song here.  I would bring the vox out front more and maybe speed it up 5 - 10 bps.  I think it would flow better a little faster.

Pretty song.  The vocals sound good but I think a few more passes and you could improve the dynamics.  I usually have to sing a song for about a half hour before I dare hit record.

I will tell you what I have found in your situation.   Start all over from scratch, it's a very good tune, and without fail:  Everytime you do something over, it always turns out better.

This doesn't sound bad, it just doesn't do justice to the potential of this song.  It just needs a little production to bring it to life.

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1