Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat

Author
Ian Ferrin
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 527
2012/05/27 02:18:59 (permalink)

Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat

I'm definitely going to have another go at mixing this so all comments/critiques appreciated.

Most of you have probably heard the original vocal version.  This is a version with the piano as the main instrument.  I fully realize this only has about 10% of the energy as the original, but even still, I think it's got a cool hook. 

Time is Everything (Instrumental Version)  

The original vocal version is here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=769187&content=songinfo&songID=11582387

Frank's also made a very cool video which is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hE8nzA9XAU

post edited by Ian Ferrin - 2012/05/27 13:03:52

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).

21 Replies Related Threads

Razorwit
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1235
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/05/27 10:41:47 (permalink)
    Hi Ian,
    I haven't heard this one, it's a nice song. For me the vocals are hurting you a bit here...they're a bit deliberate in a few places, like at about :35 the lyrics "does it even move at all" it sounds like the singer is really trying to nail those pitches and as a result it's kind of choppy. I have a look at pitch as well, 1:05 the word "away" stands out to me.

The song does have a nice sound and I like the production as a whole...generally good control over the low's for a nice warm feel. Maybe a bit tubby in the piano? I might try high-passing it a bit more just to see if you can clarify a bit.

Nice production though. Can you give us some details on the production? Mics? Instruments? Sample libs? Gear?

Dean

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/05/27 10:47:11 (permalink)
    I liked this song the first time I heard it, and I like it now.  This song would work if you were alone with an autoharp.  You can make any number of arrangements for a good song and vocal performance, and it will still shine as this does.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Ian Ferrin
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/05/27 13:00:02 (permalink)
    Dean - Thanks for the comments on the vocal version.  I'll let Frank address those.  I'm posting the instrumental version.  No problems.  Thanks for checking out the tune.  Here's the thread for the vocal version: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2556989

Lynn - Thanks much for checking out the tune.  Much appreciated.

Peace,

Ian

post edited by Ian Ferrin - 2012/05/27 13:09:13

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/05/27 14:28:27 (permalink)
    I like both versions, although the one with the vocals is maybe in the wrong key for Frank, he's straining a bit there. The piano led version has obvious similarities with Bruce Hornsby, but it really moves along nicely. Good candidate for a TV/movie theme, with the vocal version over the end credits.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/05/27 14:37:48 (permalink)
    the instrumental works for me - the theme is strong enough. I agree with Jamesg1213 - Tv/Movie theme all the way.
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/05/27 23:00:17 (permalink)
    I love this!  Piano-playing is just great!  The bass is fantastic too (although I'm hearing something funny with it at times...on the higher notes...I don't know how to explain it.  Love the drums too.

I could dance to this. :) 
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/05/27 23:36:43 (permalink)
    Personally, (and Janet will testify to this I think), I do not like middle octave chords. They just lack life and passion, and tend to muddy themselves and other instruments easily. I personally would have taken it up one or two octave higher. But, again, this is just a personal preference.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Ian Ferrin
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/05/28 02:28:20 (permalink)
    James and Daryl - Thanks guys.  One can only hope about the a TV/Movie placement.  I AM going to start submitting stuff again one of these days.

Janet - I think I hear what you're hearing w/ the bass.  I'm going to have one more go at the mix and I'll see what I can do.  Thanks for checking out the tune!

Shad - Sound-wise I agree about the mid range of the piano being challenging.  The problem is, as a piano player and composer, I LOVE the middle of the keyboard.  It's in my DNA at this point, so I just do the best I can with the mixing.  The middle of the piano can sound great in a mix on studio monitors but overwhelm the mix when played thru smaller speakers.  I totally agree it's a headache!

Thanks guys,

Ian

Songs - (at soundclick)
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/05/28 03:44:19 (permalink)
    great stuff..enjoyed!
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/05/28 07:49:46 (permalink)
    Ian, I'd forgotten that Shad used to say that about my stuff too (chords in middle octaves)....one idea is to simply take out one of the notes in the chord (just edit the midi cause it's hard to learn to play differently that quickly).  Save the original, of course.  And see if you can hear and like the difference.  Or move it all up an octave.  It didn't bother me at all...the piano isn't that busy on that tune.  Just sayin'...if you want to try something different.  
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/05/28 09:53:59 (permalink)
    nice Ian and Frank! 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/05/28 12:14:55 (permalink)
    sorry, I'm late to comment... I've been on the road... I'm in Richmond, VA visiting my daughter...

I listened earlier with earbuds... and loved the sound...
    I'm listening now on an Iphone Dock, and it sounds like you could roll off some low end...

I love that I can hear  the bass part in this so much better... it was kind of buried in my version... also love that gritty B3 sound... What are you using for the organ?

well done Ian...
    THE NIGHT FOX
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 922
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/05/29 10:21:27 (permalink)

As a backseat rider I have to say the view in my ears sounds great from here !

James-The Night Fox
    notnat
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/06/01 14:34:28 (permalink)
    Razorwit

Hi Ian,
    I haven't heard this one, it's a nice song. For me the vocals are hurting you a bit here...they're a bit deliberate in a few places, like at about :35 the lyrics "does it even move at all" it sounds like the singer is really trying to nail those pitches and as a result it's kind of choppy. I have a look at pitch as well, 1:05 the word "away" stands out to me.

The song does have a nice sound and I like the production as a whole...generally good control over the low's for a nice warm feel. Maybe a bit tubby in the piano? I might try high-passing it a bit more just to see if you can clarify a bit.

Nice production though. Can you give us some details on the production? Mics? Instruments? Sample libs? Gear?

Dean

Hi Dean... thanks for the excellent critique on "Time Is Everything" (vocal version). 
    I'm sorry you didn't care for some of those "deliberate" vocal lines, but I deliberatly sang them that way (grin;-) 

I really like Ian's instrumental version, and can't wait to hear the remix...  
    Razorwit
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1235
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/06/01 16:38:13 (permalink)
    notnat

Razorwit

I'm sorry you didn't care for some of those "deliberate" vocal lines, but I deliberatly sang them that way (grin;-) 

Hey Frank,
    Heh...hope it didn't come across as offensive...I really do try to have a "don't be a jerk" policy when it comes to posting on these forums and I genuinely try to be constructive...hope I didn't miss that mark here, but if I did forgive me :)

Still loving "AnyWay" BTW

Dean

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...
    notnat
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/06/01 17:25:02 (permalink)
    Razorwit

notnat

Razorwit

Hey Frank,
    Heh...hope it didn't come across as offensive...I really do try to have a "don't be a jerk" policy when it comes to posting on these forums and I genuinely try to be constructive...hope I didn't miss that mark here, but if I did forgive me :)

Still loving "AnyWay" BTW

Dean

Not at all Dean... That was just my feable attempt at a witty thread bump...
    You did not miss the mark at all, except maybe that the main focus of the thread was meant to be Ian's instrumental production... but then, Ian did (genererously) provide a link to my version, and it may have easily confused anyone that missed it earlier... 

I thought your observations and comments on the vocal version were very insightful and accurate... I wish more folks here would offer up this kind of constructive criticism... I really do appreciate you, and everyone else that may have listened and commented...
    Thanks again Dean...
    post edited by notnat - 2012/06/01 17:41:51
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/06/01 21:09:03 (permalink)
    I love it, guys!  Superbness all around!

String Jammer
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/06/02 00:54:52 (permalink)
    deffo works in this format Ian. i like the bass almost as much as the piano. nice mix too.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    notnat
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/06/02 01:35:58 (permalink)
    Glad you liked my Bass track Mark... I think Ian may have re-EQ'd it a bit... I can hear it better in his version... Thanks...
    notnat
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/06/05 20:05:16 (permalink)
    Scottytunes

I love it, guys!  Superbness all around!

Thanks Scotty... I think Ian really hit the mark with this arrangement, and I'm looking forward to hearing the next mix... 
    The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re:Time is Everything (Instrumental version) Collab w/ Notnat 2012/06/08 20:42:55 (permalink)
    I remember this, sorry I didn't get in sooner on this version, Frank is a masterful bass player, my favorite on the forum in fact, and I'm a bass player! (I may boost him a bit more, but I was listening on buds, so feel free to disregard that recommendation) Most of us play guitar and bass? But some people just "have a feel, and a gift" for a certain insturment? It ticks some people off when I point things like this out? I guess they're jealous, I don't know, but it is what it is.
    It's a great song Ian. Has a sound track vibe.
    post edited by The Band19 - 2012/06/08 20:53:31
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1