"Mixed Up Me"- Is this a mixed up mix? REMIX NOW UP

Author
rscain
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
2012/06/11 04:15:38 (permalink)

"Mixed Up Me"- Is this a mixed up mix? REMIX NOW UP

I'm having a hard time nailing this one down. It's a song off of my upcoming CD and it's holding me up and I gotta get this thing done!
A little help would be appreciated!

"Mixed Up Me"

I hope you enjoy it a little bit, and all comment/critiques are welcome.
Thanks in advance!

(Edit: this link now goes to the remix, see post #8 below)
post edited by rscain - 2012/06/16 02:29:52

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 

12 Replies Related Threads

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:"Mixed Up Me"- Is this a mixed up mix? 2012/06/11 05:37:21 (permalink)
    Hi rs,

I think you did a good job on this and it doesn't sound like it's mixed up at all. The only two crits I can offer:

1. The snare is (please excuse me for saying this) a bit annoying and sounds more like a splash with excessive ring due to either the sample itself, too much compression or too much of a transient designer type plugin. I'd definitely back that down because it nearly sounds like it's lasting into the next beat that comes after the initial snare hit. The snare sound itself sounds like a good one...we just have to calm down how long it's lasting and tighten it up a bit in my opinion.

2. Vocals can come up about +1dB in my opinion and could use some automation as sometimes they seem to fall behind the music.

Everything else sounded good enough to where I didn't hear any problems or blatant issues. Loved the guitars, horns and the solo was great. Really well done in my opinion...so stop stressing...you did a wonderful job. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:"Mixed Up Me"- Is this a mixed up mix? 2012/06/11 09:10:35 (permalink)
    Man that snare is bright and splashy.

Guitar could come down a half db. Would also trim a bit off of the organ at 1k.
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:"Mixed Up Me"- Is this a mixed up mix? 2012/06/11 10:57:24 (permalink)
    I like this tune, and I hear nothing that a few tweaks couldn't fix.  Danny and James obviously have taken the time to really listen, and I respect their comments and have nothing to add.  Overall, the song is good, and could be on its way to becoming a gem.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    rscain
    Re:"Mixed Up Me"- Is this a mixed up mix? 2012/06/11 12:53:55 (permalink)

Danny, James, and Lynn

Thanks so much for taking the time to listan and comment. As soon as I finish typing this I'm headed into the studio to try to fix the issues you guys have mentioned. Don't know why but lately I've really had a problem with getting a good snare sound; I think over the years I've developed "plugitis" (you know, "I've got all these plugs, I'd better use 'em). Heh.
    Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
    Danny Danzi
    Re:"Mixed Up Me"- Is this a mixed up mix? 2012/06/11 13:01:08 (permalink)
    rscain

Danny, James, and Lynn

Thanks so much for taking the time to listan and comment. As soon as I finish typing this I'm headed into the studio to try to fix the issues you guys have mentioned. Don't know why but lately I've really had a problem with getting a good snare sound; I think over the years I've developed "plugitis" (you know, "I've got all these plugs, I'd better use 'em). Heh.
    Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it!

You're quite welcome. :) Sometimes plugitis is good though because it allows you to really see what a plug can do. Other times, when you learn what the plug can do, you realise you may have wasted your money. LOL! Sonar X1 was sort of like that for me. I didn't like it at all at first and kept shelving it constantly because it annoyed me. Some things still bother me about it. But there are other things that I really like and well, the program sort of grew on me because of what you said....I figured I spent the money on it, I better use it.

On the snare, I don't think the snare itself is bad...I think the way you're processing it is what may be making it sound the way it does. Was I right? Is there some sort of transient plug on it or the way you have your release time set on your compressor that's making it resonate like that? It definitely didn't sound like a reverb...but whatever that is, definitely cut it back some. You want a little ring in there...but not that splashy sound because it makes it sound synthetic and the snare sound lasts too long. :) Looking forward to hearing your changes....good luck! :)

-Danny

My Site
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:"Mixed Up Me"- Is this a mixed up mix? 2012/06/11 13:13:35 (permalink)
    Sounds like you have the advice I would have given. Bring the vox up more, tame the snare. Well done otherwise.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:"Mixed Up Me"- Is this a mixed up mix? 2012/06/11 15:42:33 (permalink)
    Mix comments are covered above, so I'll just say I enjoyed the song and performance Bob, good hooks, good playing, loads of energy..liked it a lot.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    rscain
    Re:"Mixed Up Me"- Is this a mixed up mix? 2012/06/16 02:28:20 (permalink)

foxwolfen, james, and Danny (again!);
    Your time and comments are much appreciated and all you guys that posted have been very helpful; it's MUCHLY appreciated!
    I've done some tweaking: replaced the snare and toned down the processing a bit, worked on the horns 'cause I wasn't really happy with them, and massaged the vocal a bit. I'm much happier with the mix now and you're advice and comments have been invaluable. This forum and you guys are the best!!!

BTW: the link in the original post now takes you to the new mix, the old one is toast.

Thanks again!!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

Danny Danzi
    Re:"Mixed Up Me"- Is this a mixed up mix? 2012/06/16 05:36:20 (permalink)
    Hey rs, this is definitely better. I still think I'd cut that snare resonance back a bit. It's lasting a bit too long to my ears. I like effected snare drums, so don't think I'm giving you a hard time. I just think the length of this one is a bit on the edge of still wandering into the next beat and lasting too long. Ride cymbal seems to be non-exsistent as well, so you may want to turn that up a bit. Hats are fine. I dig all the other instruments and have never had a problem with anything.

One thing I would do is pan the horns outwards a little more and get them off the drum kit. They sound like they are right on top of the drums. You got some room to spread them out a little. At times when they hit with the vocals, they sort of drown out your voice. The vocal is ok now volume wise, but when those horns hit we lose the voice a little in my opinion and like I said, we need to get the horns out of the way of the drums.

Glad the advice was helpful. You're doing really good with this stuff...keep up the great work! :)

-Danny

My Site
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:"Mixed Up Me"- Is this a mixed up mix? 2012/06/16 12:05:24 (permalink)
    Hey Bob,
    I like this - specially like the horns!  very nice playing!  love the guitar solo, too.  very tasty!

I didn't hear the original mix and you've got some experts already helping you with anything I can think of at this time, so I don't have anything to add to that.  keep working it - it's coming along fine!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    rscain
    Re:"Mixed Up Me"- Is this a mixed up mix? 2012/06/17 17:58:15 (permalink)

Thanks again Danny, your advice is golden! I'll work on it this week.
    Thanks Beagle, really appreciate your time and comments!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:"Mixed Up Me"- Is this a mixed up mix? REMIX NOW UP 2012/06/17 18:56:34 (permalink)
    Fantastic remix.  You turned this into a classic.  I love your lyrics, in fact, I think they're the star of this song.  Keep em coming.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1