Help Me Identify My Electronic Genre?

Author
fif4lifefif
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 433
2012/06/14 21:39:57 (permalink)

Help Me Identify My Electronic Genre?

Greetings, all! 

I'm having some difficulty genre-ing a lot of my work. Right now I have a few tracks up at:

www.soundcloud.com/fizixphilly

At the moment they're labeled as "Dance" but I'd like to be more specific. 

Thanks! :o]
-Vince

Check out my music! :]

8 Replies Related Threads

pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    Re:Help Me Identify My Electronic Genre? 2012/06/14 22:37:37 (permalink)
    Electronica.
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Help Me Identify My Electronic Genre? 2012/06/16 00:24:23 (permalink)
    Ok mate, Sombody (Goyte) is really hard to listen to, it's almost distorting and it's very muddy.  I can appriecate the skills in cutting the track up though.  I'm not that familar with dubstep, I must admit.

Pulse sounds like, Trance to me, once again I'm no expert, I'd even go so far as to say Progressive Trance.  Once again though the mix is not good, it has too much enery in the low mids. 

Basic, sounds like psy trance but it's not because the basic structure isn't there but the sounds are close, I have to agree with deadbeat pete on this one and call it electronica.  The mix is better on this track too.

Watch out for deadbeat pete mate he's not nice and a troll.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    fif4lifefif
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 433
    Re:Help Me Identify My Electronic Genre? 2012/06/16 14:22:53 (permalink)
    Hi Ben,

Thanks so much for going the extra mile and actually listening to my tunes! :o]

I appreciate your objective and helpful criticism regarding the mixing. I'll agree that they're not where I want them to be- I think it's a case of me needing a fresh set of ears for the songs. I've been in the middle of a move, so I've had to resort to mixing in an old pair of headphones lately! 

However, I've listened to the Gotye remix on a few setups (including my gold standard- my car haha) and I'm actually pretty happy with it. I listened again carefully after reading your comments and I'm thinking maybe the distortion you cited is the sawtooth bass synth. I realize it's not a palatable sound for all listeners. :o]

Pulse definitely needs some work! 

Thanks for your genre suggestions! I need to learn more about these subgenres. Any suggestions on how to get familiar with them? Maybe just going to Beatport and listening?

Thanks!!!!
    -Vince

Check out my music! :]
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Help Me Identify My Electronic Genre? 2012/06/16 23:07:26 (permalink)
    Pulse and Basic are Ambient Techno. Too slow for dance. Gotye is not dubstep. Dubstep is a very high energy syncopated dance. And Ben is right, the Gotye mix needs a lot of work. Its muddy and mismatched musically as well as ten years out of date for modern techno. Do some research into dubstep on YouTube.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Help Me Identify My Electronic Genre? 2012/06/16 23:19:13 (permalink)
    I don't know the genre that this is because so many genre cross paths, these days.  But, I know what I like, and I like this.  Keep experimenting.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    logan86
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 133
    Re:Help Me Identify My Electronic Genre? 2012/06/17 08:00:41 (permalink)
    I would say that in my brutally honest opinion, the sounds that you are using (and your technical abilities) are actually better than the tunes that you are coming up with. I actually really like a lot of the sounds that you've used in Pulse and in Basic, but I just think that although the basic ideas of the energy and the mood and the sounds are all there, the melodies are just not quite catchy enough. 

I only say  this because I've recently had a bit of an epiphany regarding music. And that is that all of the criticisms that people give are usually not about the actual thing that they are criticising, but more that they just didn't feel the music. Because music is an art form, and almost entirely subjective in nature, it only ever comes down to a question of, did the music convey the message and emotions that the composer intended and was the tune memorable and pleasant.

I would say that your technical abilities are already really good, and I found all of the sound choices that you made very nice indeed. But then it was undone because I just didn't feel those melodies at all. The Gotye mix is almost the ultimate symbol of this issue. Technically it actually wasn't that bad, but it just didn't work musically so it just invalidates any good technical things about the track. 

Anyway, I was really having to decide about whether to write this post or just keep quiet. But I decided that harsh criticism will probably motivate you to go further than just telling you that it's ok. I've had more than my fair share of criticism so I know, and I really haven't been doing this whole music thing for very long either, only 2 years now in fact. So I'm still a real beginner as well, but I feel like that gives me inside knowledge of exactly what you need to hear, and what you need to hear is, "there's only 2 kinds of music, good and bad." So keep the awesome sounds and everything, but just focus on writing some more catchy tunes. I look forward to hearing your next track! 
    post edited by logan86 - 2012/06/17 08:19:16
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Help Me Identify My Electronic Genre? 2012/06/17 14:49:44 (permalink)
    I'd pretty much agree with everything Logan said above. Great sounds, but nothing too memorable musically.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    shawn@trustmedia.tv
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2136
    Re:Help Me Identify My Electronic Genre? 2012/06/17 16:57:36 (permalink)
    Well, I'm two songs in and I would say screw genres music is art & I enjoyed your stuff so far so put it in the genre - "Good Stuff".

- Shawn

Studio SONAR X3. Axiom 25 midi controller, DUNE 2, Producer Content, Good Times, Bandlab Mojo

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1