Letters Never Sent (MRI)

Author
ABeautifulVirus
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 523
2012/06/19 19:54:00 (permalink)

Letters Never Sent (MRI)

'Arabian' Alternative Heavy Rock.  Some Middle Eastern guitar scalics & modals with a bit of Alice In Chains-style vocal harmony layering. Not sure if we have the funds to buy the publishing to keep the 'I Am The Walrus' loop in towards the very end of track, so that may have to be X'd if we produce this ourselves.

http://soundcloud.com/abe...rus/letters-never-sent

LETTERS NEVER SENT (demo)
Words & Music by Daren Thomas Turner
© 2009 MRI

Letters never sent to no one
Written out of passion storming
Sentences of self destruction
Stacked inside a box of donuts
Scrawled onto gum wrappers
Etched into walls

Sticks and stones will break your homework
Habit of possessive language
Harsh, direct, imperfect wording
Scrawled on old newspapers
Etched into stones

Each replacing of the former
Burning not a bridge too far and
Close enough to hear some laughter

Double negative to grow on....
----------------------------------------------
MRI is
Daren Thomas Turner: vocals (baritone), guitars, loops;
Pete Murray [guest appearance]: vocals (tenor);
Alan Cruz: percussion;
Daniel Denial: bass
----------------------------------------------

YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98UjBdzm214

11 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Letters Never Sent (MRI) 2012/06/20 10:28:29 (permalink)
    You really nailed the Alice in Chains vocal style.  I'm glad you put the words up because I wouldn't have a clue what you were singing if not for them.  The lyric, btw, are very good.  Overall, the mix held my interest because there was plenty of depth, texture, and dynamics.  These things aren't always easy to attain in this genre where, typically, mixes are maxed out to be as loud as possible.  Let this be a guiding light to others on this forum.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    ABeautifulVirus
    Re:Letters Never Sent (MRI) 2012/06/20 11:24:28 (permalink)
    I actually wrote this after a trip to Morocco where I got stranded there and my wife had to go back to France to get me a new passport.  Didn't record it until years later.  My friend Pete Murray (of the California NuMetal band LoPro) guest appears doing the faux-Arabic screams.  Originally I had verses from the Koran in it, but removed most of them as it's no way a political/religious song nor 'Al Qaeda' anthem as some originally joked lol. I just love the unique modal scalics intrinsic in Arabian singing/chanting.  I kept a few in for color and Middle-Eastern feel. Song is basically about not burning bridges with people...
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Letters Never Sent (MRI) 2012/06/20 13:06:56 (permalink)
    Again not my area but as I said before I would listen, I to find eastern progressions interesting.

Thanks for sharing

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Letters Never Sent (MRI) 2012/06/21 23:15:34 (permalink)
    Cool. I like this. The vox treatment is overly wet IMO and too far back in the mix. I think dried up a bit and brought forward it would add much more power to the track. Good work.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    ABeautifulVirus
    Re:Letters Never Sent (MRI) 2012/06/23 23:25:00 (permalink)
    thanks Shad. yeah I'm working on a few other mixes.  some of the vox tracks i sang into AKG Perception mic like 6 feet back for more natural aural space and when combined w/ harmonies & doubling it may be 'too much space' but personally I like the effect it produces.  could be brought up a few dbs more...
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Letters Never Sent (MRI) 2012/06/24 04:10:55 (permalink)
    Hey, Daren,

Very cool song!  Excellent performance and production, and you've definitely got the AIC vibe down perfectly.

I do think I agree with Shad about possibly raising the vocals just a touch to float them over the dense mix a little bit more, but of course, that's always subjective.

Really nice work, great stuff!
    Bob

Purple Rhapsody
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 469
    Re:Letters Never Sent (MRI) 2012/06/24 04:34:38 (permalink)
    This is really cool. I love the layered vocals and the Arabian influences in the harmonies and scales.

No comments on the mix as I was listening on laptop speakers.

Cheers,
    Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Letters Never Sent (MRI) 2012/06/24 07:53:57 (permalink)
    Yep, your trademark layered vocals really work on this one, makes for a really rich sound. Very atmospheric track.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    ABeautifulVirus
    Re:Letters Never Sent (MRI) 2012/06/26 01:38:30 (permalink)
    appreciate much the feedback. vox could be more upfront, but i'm on the fence about that. sometimes i'm of more of a Radiohead mentality where vocals are deliberately at less-than threshold clarity which makes it more interesting when one reads the lyrics. or an early Nirvana mentality of  more buried vocals set inside the mix.  either way, the goal was indeed to set atmosphere and i always envisioned this more as a cinematographic soundscape possibly being a piece of film soundtrack etc... hence the video i made was to suggest this abstract possibility of visual application

Warrenlee
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 286
    Re:Letters Never Sent (MRI) 2012/06/26 08:50:19 (permalink)
    ABeautifulVirus

appreciate much the feedback. vox could be more upfront, but i'm on the fence about that. sometimes i'm of more of a Radiohead mentality where vocals are deliberately at less-than threshold clarity which makes it more interesting when one reads the lyrics. or an early Nirvana mentality of  more buried vocals set inside the mix.  either way, the goal was indeed to set atmosphere and i always envisioned this more as a cinematographic soundscape possibly being a piece of film soundtrack etc... hence the video i made was to suggest this abstract possibility of visual application

This song is quite cinematic.  And the radiohead emulation is right on, I would persue that angle with the next batch, which are coming soon right?   :)
    ABeautifulVirus
    Re:Letters Never Sent (MRI) 2012/06/27 10:56:13 (permalink)
    cool. thanks. yeah i plan to get first demos out by September. gonna employ more use of Jaguar and Jazzmaster and less Strats for a more grungy Sonic Youth-ish guitar tone 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1