Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording!

Author
grayzer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 254
2012/06/24 21:54:18 (permalink)

Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording!

I'm posting this here cos it's a lovely clean live recording using my zoom H4n, just added a little reverb, spatial enhance, tube limiting compression all that jazz and I think as live recordings go it's decent enough! Used all sonar plug -in with a little T-racks to finish This starts of in a folksy ish way and ends in a full on freak out.. It's an extended live version of the last track from our first EP, mostly instrumental. There's a little homage to Rush's "The Necromancer" nestled in there too... Hope you enjoy it http://soundcloud.com/rec...k-free-live-at-whelans

Please listen to my band's new (post-prog rock?!) songs at www.reclaimmusic.com all produced using sonar X1!!

15 Replies Related Threads

grayzer
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/25 10:31:46 (permalink)
    Forgot to mention - this was recorded on a single zoom h4n - pretty decent results!

Please listen to my band's new (post-prog rock?!) songs at www.reclaimmusic.com all produced using sonar X1!!
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/25 10:41:33 (permalink)
    Love it.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/25 10:47:07 (permalink)
    Good job, great live performance. Are all musicians mic'd separately? if they are the lead vox could come to the fore a bit more.

Thats Whelans, Dublin Ireland right?? only up the road lad!! Good spot, need to take a trip back up there soon. Is reclaim the name of that band?

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/25 10:51:30 (permalink)
    Those hand held recorders are really amazing.  I enjoyed the song, but since this wasn't produced in Sonar, I don't have much else to say.  I will listen to some of your other songs, however.  I'd love to hear you play live.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    grayzer
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/25 19:21:03 (permalink)
    whack

Good job, great live performance. Are all musicians mic'd separately? if they are the lead vox could come to the fore a bit more.

Thats Whelans, Dublin Ireland right?? only up the road lad!! Good spot, need to take a trip back up there soon. Is reclaim the name of that band?

Cian
    Yes, that's Whelan's on Wexford st/Camden St - upstairs for the Whelanslive promo. Yes reclaim is the name of the band we're at www.reclaimmusic.com  (our bandcamp page)

We were mic'd separately - and if if ask our drummer then the vocals were too loud!! However the mics for this recording were at the back of the room perched on the sound desk

whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/25 19:24:24 (permalink)
    ah drummers so hard to please!

Keep and eye out for ys, best of luck.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    grayzer
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/25 19:26:06 (permalink)
    Lynn

Those hand held recorders are really amazing.  I enjoyed the song, but since this wasn't produced in Sonar, I don't have much else to say.  I will listen to some of your other songs, however.  I'd love to hear you play live.

@ Lynn - Yep, well this WAS a live recording! I don't foresee us getting to Misssouri anytime soon though. Also this WAS (IMHO) produced in Sonar - although there was just a stereo file to work on from the zoom H4n, the recording went through a lot of sonar processing, and sonar made it was it is - turning a distant sounding muddy live recording into something better. I used the PC bus compressor, the new limiter, the saturation knob, perfect space, channel tools, quad curve eq,  and some slight BBE sonic maximiser. It sounds very different from the raw file. I use sonar a lot for live recordings, I have some beautiful irish trad recorded, again went through the same process. So sonar is good at this sort of thing too!
    post edited by grayzer - 2012/06/25 19:27:58

grayzer
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/25 19:27:10 (permalink)
    Cian, I forgot to say, we're supporting Jonathan Casey in Whelan's (upstairs I think) on the 16th July if you want to catch us then..

grayzer
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/25 19:30:27 (permalink)
    Lynn

Thanks Lynn, all our stuff was produced using sonar X1PE, I took every upgrade as it came except the softube stuff, which I wanted but couldn't justify the purchase. Our first EP was produced in Sonar 5PE...which I still use for tracking!
    post edited by grayzer - 2012/06/26 01:34:30

pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/25 19:56:39 (permalink)
    My cell phone records in better quality than this recording sounds. As for the performance, the vocalist doesn't sound very enthusiastic at all. The rest of the band was average at best. However, at the 4:57 mark when the bassist woke up there was a bit of promise but not much.
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/25 21:27:56 (permalink)
    Ok I can hear potential in this, I'd love to hear a proper recorded version.

Is this a cover??  It needs to be fleshed out slighty. 

I can hear bit's of King Crimson.

Ok the recording is not too bad, those zoom recorders are really cool, what kills it for is too much verb.

But as for the above coment (Sorry Graham, I have deal with dickhead pete=TROLL) where is this recording you neagtive peice of turd.  I want to hear this magic recording you captured on your phone???  Go Away!!!

Peace and Sorry Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    grayzer
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/25 23:18:51 (permalink)

How would you suggest "fleshing it out?" I think there's too much as it is!! Do you mean more intrumental parts or something structural?

BenMMusTech

Ok I can hear potential in this, I'd love to hear a proper recorded version.

Is this a cover??  It needs to be fleshed out slighty. 

I can hear bit's of King Crimson.

Ok the recording is not too bad, those zoom recorders are really cool, what kills it for is too much verb.

But as for the above coment (Sorry Graham, I have deal with dickhead pete=TROLL) where is this recording you neagtive peice of turd.  I want to hear this magic recording you captured on your phone???  Go Away!!!

Peace and Sorry Ben
    Hi Ben, thanks for your comment. The original recorded version is here. http://reclaimmusic.com/track/break-free 

It's not a cover although we quote "The Necromancer" by Rush near the end
    there is a thread about is from ages back here
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1013747&high=Break+Free

It's over years old and my mixing has hopefully come on since then, but I think it still sounds OK.

Regarding the verb on the new live version, given the fact that it was just a zoom at the back of the room, it's never gonna be ideal.I did ad a smidge of perfect space to add width but it only kick in in the upper frquencies. The PC tools made it more upfront etc but still, it is what it is. I think it sounds pretty decent as live recordings go... but maybe I'm delusional

Oh yes, our drummer is a big Crimson fan, that probably leaked in sub consciously, I know some crimson stuff but not much.
    post edited by grayzer - 2012/06/26 01:19:47

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/26 00:58:08 (permalink)
    rockin...just rockin... wish i was there. Love it.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/26 07:38:19 (permalink)
    I would like to politely caution BenMMustech about personally attacking others along with using crude and vulgar language. ( and Grazer for using the same by using Ben's quote.) There's no need here for foul language.
    grayzer
    Re:Break Free (LIVE) - lovely live recording! 2012/06/26 14:49:27 (permalink)
    foxwolfen

rockin...just rockin... wish i was there. Love it.

Thanks Foxy ;-)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1