Dead Rose - rehearsal demo

Author
SEVerstraten
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 167
2012/06/26 05:10:59 (permalink)

Dead Rose - rehearsal demo

Here's a mix of a song we recorded during rehearsals. One week we recorded the instruments all together and a few weeks later we tracked the vocals. We recorded seven songs in those two nights, just for our own reference (and to have something for a replacement bass player).

When I wanted to start mixing things, I found I was quite clueless (and had quite terrible recordings). So I called in Danny's help. He did some great video tutorials for me, and this is the first song I mixed after his tutorials. 

It's  played out of time and out of tune. And the mix is far from perfect, but I enjoyed working on it and learned a lot along the way (especially extracting toms from overhead bleed).

http://soundcloud.com/sandzrock/dead-rose-full-track

Please, let me know what you think. I'm ready to learn a lot more on mixing.

Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Win 10 x64 , Intel i7 2670QM, 8GB DDR3
Roland OCTA-CAPTURE, 
IK-Multimedia STOMP-IO,
KRK G5,
PCR500 

5 Replies Related Threads

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Dead Rose - rehearsal demo 2012/06/26 05:41:24 (permalink)
    Well, I think you did a good job for a demo track with imperfect source material. Retrak the parts where the lead singer gets pitchy, or v-vocal it to correct it. Timing was mostly OK. When I saw the waveform on soundcloud I noticed you had lots of overhead that was chewed up by a few transient peaks. They need to be tamed out as they are very audible (sort of a "bu-oop" sound) as a mid-low tone feedback distortion. Maybe some EQ and a some compression in those spots will give you the overhead back to boost the dbs a few notches.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Dead Rose - rehearsal demo 2012/06/26 12:36:39 (permalink)
    This may not be as bad as you think.  Overall, the whole mix was a little low in volume, but all the elements were there.  You could take this mix and do it any number of ways just to get familiar with mixing.  You have the tools to make this into a masterpiece or a piece of junk.  Don't be too critical of yourself, and experiment away.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    SEVerstraten
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 167
    Re:Dead Rose - rehearsal demo 2012/06/27 01:57:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for your kind words. It's good to hear I'm on the right track.

I also noticed some peaking transients. A problem I had with some of  the other tracks from the same session. So what do you recommend? Fixing the mixed track, or go back to the instrument tracks and try to fix those.

Sonar Platinum Lifetime
    Win 10 x64 , Intel i7 2670QM, 8GB DDR3
    Roland OCTA-CAPTURE, 
    IK-Multimedia STOMP-IO,
    KRK G5,
    PCR500 
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Dead Rose - rehearsal demo 2012/06/27 03:54:28 (permalink)
    Depends on what is causing them.  As mentioned, it sounds like feedback, which if it is, then re-tracking with care for low freqs would be in order. You could envelope that bu-oop sound out as it sounds fairly isolated. You could also squash it down with a limiter.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    ABeautifulVirus
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    Re:Dead Rose - rehearsal demo 2012/06/27 20:06:52 (permalink)
    this actually shows a lot of potential.  i dig the Strat guitar sound. where it peaks ( and only a few times ) like foxW said you can use a limiter on the final two channel mix and boost overall db output too as there is room for that.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1