Glitchy sound in Beatscape?

Author
logan86
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 133
2012/06/27 12:39:54 (permalink)

Glitchy sound in Beatscape?

So I was wondering, does anyone else have the rather critical problem with Beatscape that the loops all play in a really glitchy and buggy way. They sound great, but you can clearly hear little pops and other artefacts as the loops are playing and it just makes it all totally unusable. So does anyone else have any experience of this problem and how to get around it? I'm using Sonar 8.5.3 Producer 64 bit on Windows 7 64 bit. Thanks everyone

16 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 14:10:51 (permalink)
    could be the loops , if not your sound card setup.

I never understand why folk don't use RXP instead :)

dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 14:50:46 (permalink)
    I think people try to use Beatscape because the written description of it sounds like it would be just what they need. At first glance it comes across as a MPC type sampler/drum machine/sequencer that can mangle the hell out of loops, but in practice it's not great at any of the above. RXP seems like a simple REX file player but it's much more functional and more powerful than it seems at first glance.
    logan86
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 15:06:53 (permalink)
    Well really I want to use it because it comes with all of those awesome drum loops, and for me creating interesting drums is one of the most challenging aspects of making a new track. But I only want to use it for the convenience. If there is some other program that will allow me to use the loops that come with Beatscape then I would love to know what it is and how to actually load the loops into it. I know that I have RXP installed but I've never really figured out how to use it. Can I load the loops, or even multiple loops, directly into that program and use them like that?
    Fog
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 15:15:11 (permalink)
    well you can use the same loops in RXP  , drag / drop the midi into sonar..

you don't speak of your soundcard set up. that could be the issue.. or simply what you have done with the loops.. transients etc can be issues with RX2's (I use recycle)

with rxp you will need to use multiple ones of it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWI-cuStRQA

dubdisciple
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 15:16:33 (permalink)
    The loops in Beatscape are awesome. I have used them for several commercial projects. I'm not discouraging you from using Beatscape even though i have not found it to be useful as a composition tool. FYI, you don't need to use Beatscape to use the loops. The files can be played in RXP or even Dimension : http://blog.cakewalk.com/...nt-in-sonar-x1-part-1/ and http://blog.cakewalk.com/...-x1-part-2-prochannel/ I saved the location of the beatscape content as a favorite in my media browser and use them all the time
    logan86
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 15:20:43 (permalink)
    Thank you so much both of you, I will certainly try both of those methods immediately. Thanks guys :)
    dubdisciple
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 15:35:06 (permalink)
    Good luck!
    dubdisciple
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 15:35:43 (permalink)
    Oh yeah..never tried it, but I'm sure the matrix view will also load those files directly
    logan86
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 16:22:48 (permalink)
    Well I tried to load them into dimension pro, but I couldn't figure out how. How would I actually load a preset of my own into the program if it's not in the dimension media library browser window my default? Also I tried the RXP thing and it seems to work great apart from one problem... If I load a loop into RXP, it sounds great. If I then drag it into the project window from RXP it still sounds great and plays fine. But then if I load up a second instance of RXP with another loop, and try to get both tracks to play at the same time, the sound level meter immediately jumps up 99.9 and causes crackling and then the audio engine stops itself. It also seems that even when only one instance of RXP should be playing, both still try to begin playing at the same time. Also just to let you know I'm using a MOTU Ultralite Mk3 hybrid over firewire and ASIO drivers.
    logan86
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 16:25:41 (permalink)
    Oh and just to add, I have tried assigning the inputs to different midi channels and it still does the same thing.
    dubdisciple
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 17:39:24 (permalink)
    One of the pitfalls of information is sometimes you get so much of it at once that iot confuses things.  I will trty to make it a little simpler by focusing on one aspect at a time.

Loading into dimension is straightforward once you get the hang of it.    Dimension programs consist of up to four elemnts.  You may be trying to load a program or loada sample into the program area.  Instead start wit hthe blank, default patch (unless you changed the default).   If you drag  a sample to the area uneder the buttons that say "E1,E2,E3..." it will load the loop into the selected element which is goign to be 1 by default. This will mao the REX file across the keyboard in two ways.  One way will be the complete loop and itwill also map the sliced up loop across your keyboard in case you want to re-arrange the loop or create complex sequences from the loop as they do in Junge genre tracks.  To get a visual of what I mean, try what I just said wit ha drum loop and then:

look to the right of where you jus tloaded the loop in deimnension.  You should see a musica lnote.  Dimnension (and RXP) generate midi files of the loop.  Drag that music note to the dimension track in X1. if you open that midi sequence you will see the loop is clearly chopped into sections that by default will play out exactly as the loop originally sounded.  A simiolar thing will happen in RXP since Diomension and RXP are kind of like cousins.
    dubdisciple
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 17:40:58 (permalink)
    The other thing that occured to me is that I may be overcomplicating this for you if you simply just want to play the loops without much manipulation.  You can simply drag the beatscape loops to your timeline and make grooveclips out of them without using any VST instrument.
    logan86
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 19:18:32 (permalink)
    Thank you so much dubdisciple! That is an amazingly detailed description! I will do that as soon as I can when I get back home tomorrow evening. I have managed to get the loops working in a similar fashion in RXP, and I had even used the musical note to insert the midi pattern into the track view. With Dimension though it was more just an issue of actually knowing how to load the REX files into it. So really your description is amazingly helpful as it actually says where to click and what to do.

Also I really wanted to be able to try with Dimension instead because of that weird RXP problem that I mentioned before. Hopefully Dimension won't do the same thing as well. I do have one general question though, even though it's probably not necessary now that you have told me how to use the REX files in both RXP and Dimension...

If I do what you said and simply drag the loops directly into the timeline without being in an instrument track, then surely they will just be in a plain midi track with a sequence of notes like c1  c2  c3 etc. But if they aren't outputting into a VST instrument then how will they make any sound. Surely the output would just be silence? I know that this is going well beyond the scope now of my original question, and I'm sure that what you told me about how to load them into dimension will be more than enough for what I need, but it is interesting to know anyway.
    dubdisciple
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 19:35:33 (permalink)
    Good question. When you drag the midi info as idescribed, it triggers the sounds within the softsynth via midi notes. When you drag the clip directly to the timeline, there is no midi involved. When you do this, you will see a file that looks just like any other audio file. for some applications it is a more straightforward way to work with loops. You simply lose the ability to mangle the loop in the piano roll view the way you can by using RXP, Dimension or other VST's that support the REX format. Remember, a REX file is nothing more than a standard audio file with loop points and slice data information. This allows it to be manipulated and time stretched more efficiently than standard wav files in select conditions. IMO, you gain nothing from the REX format if you are simply goign to play the loops straight without much timestretching.
    Fog
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/27 22:29:44 (permalink)
    I deffo wouldn't say "time stretched" more "tempo tolerant" if anything to a wider range... the "stetch" function within recycle can cause issues also and sadly some people who make rx2's , well are a bit not clued and it's obvious.

logan give us specific examples of the RX2's your using AND the tempo your using.

logan86
    Re:Glitchy sound in Beatscape? 2012/06/28 15:06:02 (permalink)
    hmm, this is all rather strange. When I click where you said and try to load a sample, it brings up the file browser, and if I select an RX2 file, nothing happens. It just seems to accept the command but the sample area still says empty. Also I've noticed that I can't see RX2 files in the file explorer in sonar, and trying to simply drag them from windows explorer into the project does nothing. If I try to add an audio track and then go to import media (in the file menu in sonar) then it just says, Recycle files are not supported in the 64 bit format. How frustrating. Also to answer your question Fog I am talking about any final in the default beatscape library, and the problem happens at any tempo, but only in beatscape. The files play back fine in RXP, but I can only have one instance of it at a time seemingly.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1