Yamaha DX-7 as a MIDI controller with X1?

Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2012/06/27 16:01:59 (permalink)

Yamaha DX-7 as a MIDI controller with X1?

Hi, guys. Have a few minutes to kill before an appointment and thought I'd ask about this topic. I have an old DX-7 and I want to try and use it to control the synths and stuff in X1 via the MIDI din connectors. Has anyone here tried this? How problematic is it going to be to set up? I am new to MIDI and I see some issues on the net with this particular keyboard but I'm a little lost. Wiki has this to say...

MIDI The original DX7 included MIDI ports, but was released shortly before the specification was completed. As a result, its MIDI implementation is quite modest - it only transmits information on MIDI channel 1, it can receive information on any one of the sixteen MIDI channels at a time, but lacks the OMNI feature that enabled later DXs in the series to receive on all MIDI channels simultaneously. Very early DX7s manufactured in 1983 were distinctive for not having "MIDI Channel" inscribed next to the button that opens this function (button 8). This missing label was corrected early in the production run. Additionally, the maximum MIDI velocity value that the DX7 will transmit is 100 (of the 127 maximum value defined by the standard). The DX7 will however, respond to the full range of velocity values when sent from an outside MIDI source. This means that when using the original DX7 as a MIDI controller to play external sound modules, the patches on these modules must be adjusted to be more sensitive to velocity. It also means that when playing the DX7's own sounds using an external MIDI controller or sequencer, the velocity values should be rescaled before the input to the DX7, or the DX7 patches would need to be adjusted to be less sensitive to velocity. DX7 Mark II models resolved these deficiencies and were equipped with full MIDI implementation, including the ability to send and receive on any or all of 16 channels, send program change commands, controllers commands (total of 103 parameters can be assigned to any controller), and SysEx (system exclusive) messages, thus making them quite useful as a MIDI controllers for other synths and sound modules.

Any thoughts, precautions, tips, experiences and advice are appreciated. I'll be back after I'm done with this other stuff. Thanks.

12 Replies Related Threads

emwhy
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1402
    Re:Yamaha DX-7 as a MIDI controller with X1? 2012/06/27 16:17:42 (permalink)
    I used my DX 7 for 15 years before it finally gave up the ghost in 2000. There was an add-on board made by a company called Grey Matter Response in the 80s that fixed all of the MIDI issues the original DX 7 had. If you can find one of those (try eBay as a start) you should be able to use the DX 7 as controller with today's MIDI standard. Here's a description: http://www.dx7.nl/downloa...n%20S%20uitvoering.pdf
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Yamaha DX-7 as a MIDI controller with X1? 2012/06/27 16:49:05 (permalink)
    Beepster the biggest issue for me was the fact the maximum velocity transmitted was limited to a value other than 127. I think it was higher than 100 more like 117. But that is still a problem. It is not as easy as you think getting your synths to respond to the limited velocity range. And although you think 117 might be high and not a lot down from 127 it does make quite a difference.

It just means when you play hard you will never get the full force of the sound you are after from your synths either hardware or software. I found there are better synth actions to play as well. I currently use a Korg M1 as my controller (as well as M Audio Axiom 61) and the M1 is a much better action to play. It has all the proper midi functions too.

The DX also can only be one sound at a time if you decide to use it as a sound source and as discussed on another thread here the NI FM7 or FM8 can do the job very well and sound exactly like the DX so you don't need the hardware for its sound now either.

The fact it only transmitted out on channel 1 is not an issue when used in conjunction with a DAW. I had a mod in mine as well. It had 4 banks of sounds, fixed the velocity thing and did other stuff too but it was extra expense at the time. If you have got one I can send you my DX sound library if you are keen. I have collected 150 banks of sounds and arranged them into sound categories etc. Many DX sounds that came out well after it was released are way better than the original patches that came out. Just PM me an email address and I will send the library to you. I have got lots of TX 81Z or Dx11 4 Op sounds too if you have any of those instruments.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    JazzSinger
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 895
    Re:Yamaha DX-7 as a MIDI controller with X1? 2012/06/27 17:46:11 (permalink)
    The velocity has a reverse log curve which will go over 100 if you really hammer it, A good idea really, because in effect you can hit it harder and harder and it just keeps getting louder, (although it feels as if running into a limiter. )

But the keyboard is beautiful to play. Leaf springs that give way to pressure and a little lead weight under each key.
    Beepster
    Re:Yamaha DX-7 as a MIDI controller with X1? 2012/06/27 19:18:13 (permalink)
    Awesome advice as always guys and Jeff I should be in touch about those sound banks in the next week or so (I have to set up a proper email specifically for my musical adventures and a dropbox account). I've actually been very interested in the program-ability of this unit since I purchased it years ago but have never gotten around to messing with what it can do. It is indeed a shame about the velocity thing though. I'm curious to see if I can make it so I can set things in such a way that I'm using the upper velocity values of the spectrum as opposed to the lower velocities. ie: using up to 127 but leaving out the lower 17. That could be a deciding factor in whether I use this as my main full (or almost full) scale controller or considering purchasing something more modern (which I cannot afford right now but I will be picking up an Axiom 25 just for day to day input and parameter control). I'll look into the mods that have been suggested here though and maybe I won't have to worry about it. I'd really rather have access to my top velocities than the lower ones because I prefer more aggressive type music. On a side note one nice thing is I have two of the old ROM cartridges that I know work and acquired one of the RAM cartridges as well (haven't tested that one though aside from playing with the written data on it... which is kind of "meh"). So thanks guys and if anyone can think of anything else I'm all ears. Cheers!!!
    Beepster
    Re:Yamaha DX-7 as a MIDI controller with X1? 2012/06/27 19:24:50 (permalink)
    @jazzsinger... It is indeed very nice to play as far as that synthesizer type key action goes. I got spoiled with a Rhodes years ago though so it's not quite as pleasant as that. Eventually I'd like a properly full weighted, full scale piano action keyboard to dork around with but that stuff is generally pretty pricey. BTW I'm not really a keyboard player but I'd like to really get good at it. I love piano music and I want to get certified by the conservatory some day. I figure mastering the keyboard will be a step in the right direction for that. Couldn't hurt my music production aspirations either. Cheers!
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re:Yamaha DX-7 as a MIDI controller with X1? 2012/06/29 14:55:24 (permalink)
    I'm curious to see if I can make it so I can set things in such a way that I'm using the upper velocity values of the spectrum as opposed to the lower velocities. ie: using up to 127 but leaving out the lower 17.

You can effectively adjust the velocity response with standard MIDI FX (appropriately named Velocity).  Use the Process menu 'after-the-fact'.  For a hardware solution, have a look at the MIDI Solutions Velocity Converter.  If one of the 40 preset curves doesn't do it for you, the custom user curve will.

Now I'm curious:  Is your DX-7 one of the rare early ones that transmits channel aftertouch over CC #3?
    Beepster
    Re:Yamaha DX-7 as a MIDI controller with X1? 2012/06/29 15:18:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if it's the model you are referring to but it is a first gen as far I can tell. The model/serial number plate simply says DX-7 with out any Mark II or other additional numbers from what I can see and it has the dark brown housing. I'm glad you bumped this because it reminded me to PM Jeff. Cheers!!
    jeromejerome
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Yamaha DX-7 as a MIDI controller with X1? 2017/05/25 16:29:26 (permalink)
    Hi guys,

Just came across this thread and I'm wondering if you could help me. I recently bought a DX7 and the other day bought a second-hand Arturia Beatstep to use as a sequencer through Ableton.  

I've sequenced before with an MS20 sequencer to a Juno, a 101 and MS20 and with no problems. However, I can't get things to work with the DX7. The Beatstep is seemingly picking up the notes but nothing is happening in the DX7. Unfortunately, I don't have access to other synths at the moment to test out whether it's the Beatstep or not.

Any tips? Are there any basics that I'm missing here in relation to the DX7 and how it receives midi? (I should mention that it's sending midi to my interface and into Ableton perfectly). Early days with the DX, I haven't even begun to properly explore the bank and patches, many empty ones...

Thank you!
    JohanSebatianGremlin
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 402
    Re:Yamaha DX-7 as a MIDI controller with X1? 2017/05/26 22:51:55 (permalink)
    Not to point out the painfully obvious but....

You're asking people on a Sonar forum to troubleshoot a problem you're having with a 30 year old synth and Ableton, a DAW from a completely different company. That's sort of like calling a plumber because your house is on fire.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
    jeromejerome
    Re:Yamaha DX-7 as a MIDI controller with X1? 2017/05/26 23:09:46 (permalink)
    Right
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re:Yamaha DX-7 as a MIDI controller with X1? 2017/05/26 23:21:13 (permalink)
    Early Yamaha had some funky implementations of midi. If I remember way back, the channels are numbered differently. I recall we used to have issues making DX7's work with other synths because of it. It was early days for midi when they came out. PM Craig Anderton via the Sonar forum.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    jeromejerome
    Re:Yamaha DX-7 as a MIDI controller with X1? 2017/05/27 01:13:14 (permalink)
    Hi John, 

Thanks for your response, will do :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1