Introducing "Take Flight" by new artist ZMobius

Author
Z_Mobius
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2012/07/05 00:10:58 (permalink)

Introducing "Take Flight" by new artist ZMobius

Hello all. I am an electronic / jazz artist, and I have just begun uploading my works online. The first song I would like to introduce to the Cakewalk community is "Take Flight". You can view the audio here:  http://soundcloud.com/zmobius/take-flight 

EDIT: Link is broken because I updated the audio. Here is the newer version: http://soundcloud.com/zmobius/take-flight-mp3   

If you visit my Soundcloud page, you can listen to and download my music for free. I have two other songs also available at the moment, so please feel free to give them a listen.

Thanks and enjoy. Any commentary or constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated.

post edited by Z_Mobius - 2012/07/05 22:26:17

9 Replies Related Threads

BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Introducing "Take Flight" by new artist ZMobius 2012/07/05 01:46:49 (permalink)
    Hey Evan, not a big fan.  Sorry the quality of the virtual instruments are really cheesy.

The mix isn't too bad but it has a little too much bottom end for me.

But your sequencing skills are excellent and all there, I just think you need to get some better quality virtual instruments.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    THE NIGHT FOX
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 922
    Re:Introducing "Take Flight" by new artist ZMobius 2012/07/05 02:32:23 (permalink)

I have to agree with Ben , it almost sounds like Keyboard instruments and drums your recording with .
    Are you programming your keyboard , alot of keyboards have tracks you can record on .
    I used to do that many years ago before I even knew about computer software and your sound has that effect and sound about it .

Welcome to the club , not bad but could sound better .

James
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Introducing "Take Flight" by new artist ZMobius 2012/07/05 11:31:23 (permalink)
    It's not often I hear jazz with a drum part like this.  The bass drum somewhat obliterated everything else which could be why Ben hears so much bottom end.  Under all the drums is an enjoyable tune which could be helped by the suggestions from Ben and James.  Welcome to the forum.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Z_Mobius
    Re:Introducing "Take Flight" by new artist ZMobius 2012/07/05 11:49:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. Getting better virtual instruments is something I've thought about before (especially for the drums), but I just haven't found anything yet. Right now I'm stuck using Cakewalk's default synthesizer for various instruments, which is why it may have a cheesy sound. Do you have any recommendations for VST synthesizers I should use?
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Introducing "Take Flight" by new artist ZMobius 2012/07/05 13:23:54 (permalink)
    As noted the mix is not bad but some of the sounds are somewhat cheesy. 

For me the drums are some what mechanical and suffer from the machine gun effect.

Are you playing or programming the tune or a mixture?

As to what instruments, what are your needs there is a plethora of instruments out there.  Some clues about sounds and style would probably prompt some well informed replies.

Thanks for sharing and keep trying we all started somewhere.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Z_Mobius
    Re:Introducing "Take Flight" by new artist ZMobius 2012/07/05 17:47:52 (permalink)
    Wookiee

As noted the mix is not bad but some of the sounds are somewhat cheesy. 

For me the drums are some what mechanical and suffer from the machine gun effect.

Are you playing or programming the tune or a mixture?

As to what instruments, what are your needs there is a plethora of instruments out there.  Some clues about sounds and style would probably prompt some well informed replies.

Thanks for sharing and keep trying we all started somewhere.

I sequenced it in Music Creator 5, none of it was played or programmed on a keyboard.

I should have said so before, I guess. I'm looking for good electronic sounds, new drum samples, and possibly something to replace the sax.

Thanks for listening! Btw I recently got Rapture and have been working with that. I've already made Take Flight sound 10 times better just with a few virtual instrument changes and other editing.
    post edited by Z_Mobius - 2012/07/05 18:04:19
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Introducing "Take Flight" by new artist ZMobius 2012/07/05 18:21:13 (permalink)
    If you should decide to go the X1 route, there are several good synths included just for the price of the DAW.  Dimension Pro and Zeta2 cover a lot of ground.  Not to mention Session Drummer 3 and several others.
    Z_Mobius

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Getting better virtual instruments is something I've thought about before (especially for the drums), but I just haven't found anything yet. Right now I'm stuck using Cakewalk's default synthesizer for various instruments, which is why it may have a cheesy sound. Do you have any recommendations for VST synthesizers I should use?

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    Re:Introducing "Take Flight" by new artist ZMobius 2012/07/05 19:15:20 (permalink)
    I think if you would back off on the bass and drums volume a bit, it would help the lead tones stand out a bit. It seemed like they squashed everything else. If you work a bit on the mix, it will really help. Although I'm not a fan of this particular music genre, I wouldn't call your song cheesy like some others. It has a lot of potential.
    Z_Mobius
    Re:Introducing "Take Flight" by new artist ZMobius 2012/07/05 22:25:38 (permalink)
    I updated the song on Soundcloud, so the link in the OP is broken. Here's what the song sounds like now after a lot of editing:  http://soundcloud.com/zmobius/take-flight-mp3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1