See You On The Other Side (POP:Adult Contemporary)

Author
Freddy J
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2348
2012/07/15 23:03:05 (permalink)

See You On The Other Side (POP:Adult Contemporary)

In my last entry of my previous posting, I mentioned that my wife and I had returned from visiting a couple that we have been very close friends with since way-back in our college days.  She had been bravely fighting cancer and unfortunately, while we were there she lost the battle.  Her death brought up thoughts and emotions that prompted me to complete a song that I started a while ago after the death of a family member.  While this song is a bit melancholy, it does offer the comfort of celebrating the time that we did have with the ones we lost.

As was my previous song, this number is not my usual style of song.  I hope the music and lyrics are a bit more together on this one than the previous one.  I expect that some may not like the lead guitar.  I was trying to engage the idea that the old style Blues guys had in making the guitar their voice in expressing either joy or sadness.  For me, use of the slow attack had that mournful sound that I was looking for.  I hope that you don't find it too annoying.

Anyway, I would appreciate any comments, suggestion, and feedback that you might care to share.

Thanks.

See You On The Other Side
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=963481

Freddy J

10 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:See You On The Other Side (POP:Adult Contemporary) 2012/07/16 10:50:28 (permalink)
    Freddy, I'm sorry about the loss of your friend.  I just lost one of my best friends in life about a month ago, and I still feel the loss.  You did indeed evoke a mournful guitar solo.  I  hope this helps in your recovery, as turning to music helped in mine.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:See You On The Other Side (POP:Adult Contemporary) 2012/07/16 16:57:19 (permalink)
    Only listening on laptop, so make of it what you will, but the vox need to be more up front for me - having a hard time making out all the words, which I always think is the single most important part of an emotionally charged song such as this. I like the guitar effect  - sounds like it is being played backwards.

Sorry to hear about your friend - tough times - but I'm sure your tribute will go some way towards dealing with that. No better way for a musician to deal with that in my opinion.
    post edited by paulo - 2012/07/17 08:48:47
    ABeautifulVirus
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    Re:See You On The Other Side (POP:Adult Contemporary) 2012/07/16 20:44:07 (permalink)
    my thoughts and compassion for you & family & friend. very nice homage. i think the slow attack on guitar solo gave it this reverse quality (as if on the other side etc.) so it's very fitting and reflection of a lachrymose guitar ode. 
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re:See You On The Other Side (POP:Adult Contemporary) 2012/07/17 00:59:49 (permalink)
    My deepest sympathy on your losses. You tribute is from your heart and will turn to joy knowing they are resting peacefully. Peace be with you. Blessings, John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:See You On The Other Side (POP:Adult Contemporary) 2012/07/17 08:16:10 (permalink)
    Subject matter aside, I honestly didn't think this number was up to your usual performance.  Posting the lyrics would be helpful too.  The melody didn't seem to match the words, it seemed too light-hearted and I think it took from emotion of the message.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re:See You On The Other Side (POP:Adult Contemporary) 2012/07/17 10:22:50 (permalink)
    It's a sad one. Sorry for your loss Freddy.
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:See You On The Other Side (POP:Adult Contemporary) 2012/07/17 20:39:50 (permalink)
    Hey Freddie, sorry to hear about your loss man life is cruel.  One moment your here, next we are dust in the wind and memories that are like teardrops on the face's that are left behind.

Ok def need to turn the vox up at the start of the track, it gets more audiable as we get into the track.

I like the guitar solo in the middle, that is really cool.

What I think is lacking is glue, I reckon some sort of fiddle, mournful playing under your vocal.  If you can't get a fiddle player, try using a virtual one, I love my MTron violins and use them all the time.

But I like the track, I get the inflections and the sort of lilting melencholy of not quite being there, a recent loss.  There is an emptiness, I don't think Daryl is understanding thats why the track sounds sort of odd.  The loss is recent, so for me the track represents that recent loss and to polish the track apart from that glue would ruin the feel.

I hope you get what I mean.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    Freddy J
    Re:See You On The Other Side (POP:Adult Contemporary) 2012/07/18 15:31:00 (permalink)
    Lynn:  Thanks for your sentiments and comments.  I appreciate your taking the time to listen and comment.  Music does help doesn't it?

Thank you Paulo.  I am glad that you liked the lead guitar --- I wasn't sure if I was on the right track or not.  You're right about the vocal volume ----- I'll have to go back and turn it up.

Hi Daren.  Thank for listening and for your comments.  I appreciate your kind words.

Thank you very much John.  I appreciate the kind sentiments.

Hi Daryl.  I seem to be having a problem with the slower songs don't I?  I was trying to express a lot of emotions and thoughts in this song and that might have confused things.

Thanks Robby.  I appreciate it!

Hello Ben.  I know that death is a part of life but it doesn't mean you have to like it.  Yup, I agree and will have to correct the volume.  I not only get what you mean but I think that you might understand what I was trying (emphasis on trying) to do. I intended the lyrics to reflect the hurt that comes from the loss of someone close, the confusion about death, and also the resolve to not become mired in the loss but to also try and celebrate the time and memories that you have enjoyed.  I tried to make the music sound mournful (e..g., the guitar solo) but tried to introduce a bit of a lighter element also.  Oh well, intent doesn't always mean that you reached the goal.  Thanks for listening and I appreciate your feedback.

Freddy J

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:See You On The Other Side (POP:Adult Contemporary) 2012/07/23 01:51:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing Freddy.
    Freddy J
    Re:See You On The Other Side (POP:Adult Contemporary) 2012/07/25 14:28:08 (permalink)
    Hi Bapu.  I appreciate your taking the time to listen.  Thanks!!

Freddy J
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1