DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT

Author
stamkorg
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2012/07/16 12:32:27 (permalink)

DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT

Hello, I use Dimension pro. Some sounds (trumpet, sax) cut after a few seconds. Does anybody know why? Is there a trick or tip to avoid that? Thanks in advance, SK

14 Replies Related Threads

Linear Phase
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2201
    Re:DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT 2012/07/16 12:44:26 (permalink)
    What do you men by some sounds cut?   Trumpet, Sax..  Those are not the type of things that I would expect to have an infinite sustain.

Only thing I've looked at though, as far as DIM Pro goes, are the real basses..  So.. If you can list a name of a patch, or something..  So other users can take a look, perhaps we could tell you why those sounds are being, "cut."

too many lasers...

Sonar = audio editing ninja of a music software!

stamkorg
    Re:DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT 2012/07/16 12:50:29 (permalink)
    Thank you for the answer, For example, all the brasses (14-) and saxes (15-) cut after 4 or 5 seconds
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT 2012/07/16 13:06:09 (permalink)
    Dimension runs out of breathe?

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    stamkorg
    Re:DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT 2012/07/16 13:56:30 (permalink)
      Sorry for my bad english. I am not shure to understand what you mean. The fact is that after 4-5 second, the sound stops. I agree that you don't need a very great sustain for these sounds but you should be able to play a note at least 10 seconds.
    AT
    Re:DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT 2012/07/16 15:44:46 (permalink)
    Stamkorg,

I was just being funny.  I haven't been able to check those patches since the plumber is here tearing things up.  But if the sustain doesn't work w/ the patches it is probably due to SFZ formatting.  You can try to open them in notepad and see about legnthing them.

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Linear Phase
    Re:DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT 2012/07/16 20:33:10 (permalink)
    Hi Stamkorg, 

I have had a chance to look at the presets.  Here are the answers to your questions.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hope that helps, cheers

too many lasers...

Linear Phase
    Re:DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT 2012/07/16 20:41:07 (permalink)
    Btw, I just listened to the sound, and decided what you must be asking about, is the RELEASE part of the ADSR.

https://www.box.com/s/25877d4f72337c5337c0

That is a preset, of the same trumpet from the photo above, but it has a longer release.  All I did was tug the release out a bit.  Maybe you can, "reverse engineer," it..  very simple

Cheers

too many lasers...

stamkorg
    Re:DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT 2012/07/18 03:41:00 (permalink)
    Hello,
    I tried the preset you sent but it does not resolve the problem. The sounds cut after a few seconds.
    In fact I think this problem has nothing to do with the release. The release is the time for the sound to shut down after you let the key off.
    I think it is a sustain problem but even by twiking the ADSR enveloppe, I am not able to increase the sustain. I think it is well a bug.
    Strange thing is that this problem don't appear on the trumpet in the Garritan set.
    Linear Phase
    Re:DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT 2012/07/18 05:15:16 (permalink)
    If the sound is dropping, something else is going on...  But what?  For us to figure out, we need a lot more information.. It could also be that AT is correct, and something is messy in the SFZ File...

Otherwise, its just a guess...   

Seriously..  If you think it is a bug.. Type out your entire system spec.  DAW? Audio card?  Driver?  Computer type..  OS..   Version RAM?  Getting audio drop out messages?  Latency settings..  Is this the only vst in the project?  Etc, etc, etc...

If that sound is not sustaining, than you need to provide a lot of information, for us to begin to help you.  And I'd like to try to help you..  

He could be very right!

AT

But if the sustain doesn't work w/ the patches it is probably due to SFZ formatting.  You can try to open them in notepad and          see          about legnthing them.      

Cheers

post edited by Linear Phase - 2012/07/18 14:44:47

too many lasers...

b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re:DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT 2012/07/18 11:00:30 (permalink)
    From The Creator:

You can't extend samples using EGs. You can extend how long they play once you release the key, or cut those to an 'early' point, but you cannot 'create' new information in samples, assuming they are unlooped.

Several samples in Dimension Pro (sax samples, for instance), are unlooped. they last as long as the real sax player could resist breathing and keeping the pitch on a note. This gives you long samples, which make a lot for increased realism. As the wave files are external, it is still possible to create a looped version of any instrument, using a wave editor and... patience.

The maximum amount of time you'll ever get out of a core sample is the length of the sample itself.  This is an audio (.wav) 'issue', not an .sfz problem or MIDI workaround.

That said, if you use Sound Forge, and would like some guidance in setting up loop points (within the samples themselves), I can help you to slog through the process.  Dimension Pro will 'honor' those loop points, unless overridden by another parameter.
    AT
    Re:DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT 2012/07/18 11:52:02 (permalink)
    Tom,

good to see you are still around.  I vaguely remembered the link, but not the substance (I've got a sax player if needed).

You still follow the Heat?  Nice to see the Mavs took them.  If I knew you were still around I would have made a few comments back then. ;-)  The Heat got back tho, didn't they, while the Mavs ...

take care w/ them gators.

@

tho they got back

stamkorg
    Re:DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT 2012/07/19 07:43:48 (permalink)
    b rock

From The Creator:

You can't extend samples using EGs. You can extend how long they play once you release the key, or cut those to an 'early' point, but you cannot 'create' new information in samples, assuming they are unlooped.

Several samples in Dimension Pro (sax samples, for instance), are unlooped. they last as long as the real sax player could resist breathing and keeping the pitch on a note. This gives you long samples, which make a lot for increased realism. As the wave files are external, it is still possible to create a looped version of any instrument, using a wave editor and... patience.

The maximum amount of time you'll ever get out of a core sample is the length of the sample itself.  This is an audio (.wav) 'issue', not an .sfz problem or MIDI workaround.

That said, if you use Sound Forge, and would like some guidance in setting up loop points (within the samples themselves), I can help you to slog through the process.  Dimension Pro will 'honor' those loop points, unless overridden by another parameter.

Thank you for this information.
    Now I understand that DImension Pro runs like it should.
    The question now is why Cakewalk did that choice to use unlooped sample for these sounds?? Strange
    AT
    Re:DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT 2012/07/19 10:28:27 (permalink)
    Because the sampler and sample is trying to mimic the real thing.

stamkorg
    Re:DIMENSION PRO - SOME SOUNDS CUT 2012/07/19 12:59:50 (permalink)
    Ok, I understand that. But it is the first time I see that for that kind of sounds
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1