Play midi file through different instrument

Author
Johnmac0117
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2012/08/13 15:49:03 (permalink)

Play midi file through different instrument

Hi could I play back a midi file in GTP4 through a different instrument than it was originally written for. For example could I load a SI Electric Piano Pattern & output it through Kontakt Vintage Organs? Thanks for any help, John

5 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Play midi file through different instrument 2012/08/13 22:42:41 (permalink)
    Yes.
    That is part of the beauty of MIDI.
    Your MIDI track output can be directed to any softsynth you have inserted in your project.
    It's just note information, and it generally doesn't care where it is being sent.
    The only caveat is downloaded GM files, which may have patch data embedded.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Johnmac0117
    Re:Play midi file through different instrument 2012/08/14 12:57:50 (permalink)
    RobertB

Yes.
    That is part of the beauty of MIDI.
    Your MIDI track output can be directed to any softsynth you have inserted in your project.
    It's just note information, and it generally doesn't care where it is being sent.
    The only caveat is downloaded GM files, which may have patch data embedded.

That's great to know Bob. How do I do that in GTP4? I've had a go but it doesn't seem to be working, so I guess I'm doing something wrong. 
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Play midi file through different instrument 2012/08/14 20:21:21 (permalink)
    If you are using the normal template, it loads the synth as an Instrument Track. While there is nothing really wrong with this, the MIDI track is locked to the synth audio output. You can't see it, but an Instrument Track is really two tracks integrated into one.
    To manipulate the MIDI track output, it must be isolated from the synth.
    Don't worry, it's a fairly easy fix.
    Going forward, I would recommend inserting your synths and selecting the following options:
    MIDI Source Track
    First Synth Audio Output (or All Synth Audio Outputs if the synth supports multiple outputs.
    Synth Properties Page

Do you have Kontact inserted as a synth?
    If so, insert a new MIDI track. Copy/paste the MIDI data from the SI track to that, or drag the SI patterns from the SI GUI to the new MIDI track.
    Set the output of this MIDI track to Kontact ( or any synth)
    At this point, the pattern should play.
    If you get hung up somewhere, let us know where you got stuck.
    The key is keeping the MIDI track independent from the synth.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Johnmac0117
    Re:Play midi file through different instrument 2012/08/15 18:18:00 (permalink)
    Yes, that works now, thanks. In the end it was so simple; I just added a new SI Electric Piano Track & a new Kontakt track, then, like you said, dragged the midi data to the Kontakt track and it played. 
    The way I was trying before was to just add the SI Track, then edit the output from the SI track to point it at Kontakt, but that didn't work, I guess because, like you said, it's locked to  that instrument. 

Thanks again for your time Bob
    Johnmac0117
    Re:Play midi file through different instrument 2012/08/19 15:22:10 (permalink)
    Just to say that although the method above worked in that case, I found it doesn't always work. I had some other problems but it was complicated to follow on from this post so I started another 
    Midi track out of sync with others 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1