Which software to control attack and release?

Author
Vincent340
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2012/08/19 14:12:59 (permalink)

Which software to control attack and release?

Hello, I'm a newbie in the music creation area. I'm about to buy MC6 and I would add dimension LE with Yamaha Grand Piano and studio orchestra, mainly to have good quality strings and a nice piano sound. But before doing this, I would like to be sure to be able to control attack and release while playing strings on dimension LE? Could someone tell me if it would work? I saw that attack and release controls are available in studio instruments strings for MC6, but strings sounds don't seem good enough for me. Thanks for your help!

7 Replies Related Threads

Linear Phase
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2201
    Re:Which software to control attack and release? 2012/08/19 15:33:58 (permalink)

too many lasers...

Sonar = audio editing ninja of a music software!

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Which software to control attack and release? 2012/08/19 16:02:24 (permalink)
    Not with the LE version. You need Dimension Pro to get full editing capability. 

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re:Which software to control attack and release? 2012/08/19 18:43:06 (permalink)
    See Tip #5 [Seeking Global Control] for global attack & release controls over Dimension LE = Rapture/DimPro: Bloopers, Outtakes, & Practical Jokes at http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=950222.

As Linear Phase implied above, we don't know if you're using an external MIDI keyboard, or what model.  If your KB has some assignable controls (wheels, knobs, sliders), you'd have to assign CC#73 to control global attack, and/or CC#72 to control global release.  That's it.

I'm not familiar enough with MC6 to know about its automation capabilities, but it may be possible to send CC#73 / #72 to Dimension LE from within the program itself.  One caution:  This is control over the attacks / releases of ALL Elements.  They offer a huge range over attack / release times.  The synth will remain at its last global value until you send it another value.

The point being that it's very easy to leave the Globals at certain values, and have that affect every other preset that you load.  It's good practice to "zero out" CC #73 and CC #72 when you're done with them.
    Vincent340
    Re:Which software to control attack and release? 2012/08/20 01:39:14 (permalink)
    Since I have a basic yamaha KB is it possible to preset ASDR in dimension pro and when you play it uses and keep the presets?
    Linear Phase
    Re:Which software to control attack and release? 2012/08/20 06:25:03 (permalink)
    What is, "a basic yamaha KB?"  Are you sure it is also a midi-controller?  There are a zillion of these, "keyboards, digital pianos, controllers, synths."   Without a model number, and verification of the Yamaha KB capabilities, I think its quite difficult to supply a definitive answer to your question.

Anyways..  If the basic Yamaha KB, is a midi controller, than the answer to your question probably lies somewhere in the user manual to whatever DAW you are using..  Another piece of info, that has not been given...

If you are using Sonar X1..  The answer is in, "getting started help file," just search for midi and act.  I do not believe, it is possible for DIM Pro to recall controller presets by itself.

Cheers

too many lasers...

Vincent340
    Re:Which software to control attack and release? 2012/08/20 08:16:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for the answer. I have a basic clavinova yamaha with midi in and out but no extra knobs or things like that... only the piano roll...
    For example, when you're using studio instrument strings in MC6, you can preset attack and release in the software and then just play through your midi KB, am I right? So I though DIM pro would do at least the same.

Thanks

Linear Phase
    Re:Which software to control attack and release? 2012/08/20 08:41:36 (permalink)
    Ah..  MC6 = music creator 6...   I misunderstood..   I thought the abbreviation was some sort of Akai Product..  It is not..  You are talking about the Cakewalk Software...  It would be a lot easier for future reference not to abbreviate everything..   Cause MC6 is fairly similar to MPC, especially for guys like me, who are constantly mixing up letters for various reasons...

I am using Sonar..  I am unfamiliar with Music Creator 6

Cakewalk will definitely answer your pre-sales questions if you call them on the phone..  Perhaps another user will have a better answer for you..  If not..  Cakewalk is definitely open right now...

Cheers

too many lasers...

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1