Midi track out of sync with others

Author
Johnmac0117
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2012/08/19 14:43:52 (permalink)

Midi track out of sync with others

User level = newbie
To cut a long story short, I have a GM midi file with a number of tracks (Deep Purple, Child In Time) which were all playing through Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. After some trouble I managed to get one of them to play though Kontakt Synth (the Hammond Organ sounds better) but now it's playing ahead of the beat and is out of sync with the other tracks.

What I've done:

• Open pre-made GM midi file in GTP4
  • Add Instrument Track for Kontakt 5
  • Set the output of the relevant midi track to Kontakt 5
  • Play it - no sound
  • Changed channel from 6 that it was on, to channel 1, seemed to work, I don't know why
  • Switch off solo, so the other tracks can play
  • It plays, but now it's out of time, playing just ahead of the beat. It was OK playing through MS GS. 

Any ideas anyone?

4 Replies Related Threads

Johnmac0117
    Re:Midi track out of sync with others 2012/08/25 09:29:33 (permalink)

I think I've sussed it out now. 

I'm using the ASIO Cakewalk UA-1G USB audio interface. I've set up the Audio in GTP4 to use this, and I thought it was using this for everything. 

Turns out that Kontakt is using this, whilst the MS GS Wavetable is using the regular sound card. So I guess the regular sound device has greater audio latency than the ASIO device. 

So I guess MS GS Wavetable is behind the beat whilst Kontakt is on the beat, not ahead of it. 

I'm putting all the tracks through Kontakt now, which not only resolves the timing issue, but also sounds much better :-)
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Midi track out of sync with others 2012/08/25 10:14:38 (permalink)
    That is correct.
    The MS Wavetable synth is technically an external device, and its sound processing is not subject to your latency setting in GTP4.
    It's kind of a fluke, and best not to use it. You can unckeck it in Options>MIDI Devices, so it won't be available.
    If you need a basic GM synth, you can use the included TTS-1.
    It probably won't sound as good as Kontakt, but it's easy to work with.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Johnmac0117
    Re:Midi track out of sync with others 2012/08/26 19:17:26 (permalink)
    That sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure TTS-1 is included in GTP4, or if it is I can't find it. Can I download it? 
    John
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Midi track out of sync with others 2012/08/27 00:06:37 (permalink)
    Rats. It appears that GTP4 is the only current Cakewalk offering that does not include TTS-1( aside from the LE versions which don't come with much of anything).
    TTS-1 is not available as a download, and I have not found any reputable sources for another basic GM synth.
    It looks like your best bet is to press forward with Kontakt at this point.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1