Extreme n00b problem - recording from CakewalkSoundCenter

Author
somegreybloke
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2012/10/06 10:47:16 (permalink)

Extreme n00b problem - recording from CakewalkSoundCenter

Hi I've attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing. Inserted new Track which seems to be receiving sound from the SoundCenter panel (as in, I can see the levels monitor react when I press the synth keys); when I hit R to record I get a metronome sound and can hear the synth but nothing gets recorded. Somebody please tell me what I'm missing, as as far as I understand from the in-program Help when I start recording it should create a wave clip. Thanks.

Attached Image(s)

4 Replies Related Threads

dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re:Extreme n00b problem - recording from CakewalkSoundCenter 2012/10/06 11:58:14 (permalink)
    One thing missing in your illustration is transport controls.  Did you hit the record button in your transport? The record icon on the track just arms that track for recording.
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Extreme n00b problem - recording from CakewalkSoundCenter 2012/10/06 13:15:54 (permalink)

This is a very common source of confusion for beginners.
    You cannot record using the keyboard in the Sound Center GUI. It is for auditioning and triggers the sound internally. It bypasses the input stage where the notes would actually be recorded. This is true of any soft synth with a keyboard in the GUI.
    You have inserted Sounter as a Simple Instrument Track. This is actually two tracks in one, the MIDI source track, and the synth audio output track.
    In the following screen shot, I have inserted Sound Center with the two tracks split out.
    Track 1 is the synth audio output.
    Track 2 is the MIDI input. This is where recording would happen.
    If you have a MIDI controller connected, you can record the notes realtime to this track.
    Or you can enter notes to this track using the Piano Roll View.
    Note that the synth Audio Track does not have a record button.
    When you play notes on the synth GUI keyboard, the sound goes directly to this track, and cannot be recorded.
    Hope that makes sense.

post edited by RobertB - 2012/10/06 13:17:27

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    somegreybloke
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Extreme n00b problem - recording from CakewalkSoundCenter 2012/10/07 06:58:12 (permalink)
    Thank you! I think I've got it - at least I've managed to turn sounds from SoundCenter into notes and then a waveform in the track, which is a start.
    Chadtindale
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re:Extreme n00b problem - recording from CakewalkSoundCenter 2012/10/31 03:09:17 (permalink)
    What you CAN do is have Sound Center function with a midi track for a controller, and key in the notes manually. It may not be fast but it's super effective. And accurate every time. The simple fact that I can do it at all is what drove me to cakewalk in the first place... 13 years ago.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1