difference between in focus and selected

Author
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
2012/11/02 20:14:32 (permalink)

difference between in focus and selected

in fbb's swa video on x2, 5  hours 18 minutes , he says there is a difference between in focus and selected. I think this difference has been causing me confusion. can anyone tell me more so I can better understand?

28 Replies Related Threads

Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2012/11/02 20:20:22 (permalink)
    Could you be more specific?

Just taking a guess here but... there is having the track "focused" where you just click on it then you can open and view/adjust the Inspector and whatnot or you can click the blue button to "Select" it for more/different options/functions.

I'm assuming that's what he's referring to but I have not seen the vids. Cheers.
    Beepster
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2012/11/02 20:28:19 (permalink)
      And as an anecdotal example... remember how we were talking about that ridiculous selection problem the other night? Well my workaround has been to "Lock" all tracks not being edited.  

If I merely click on the track (which I'm assuming means putting it in "Focus") when I open the inspector I cannot change the "Lock" function. If I "Select" the track then the option becomes available.  
    Beepster
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2012/11/02 20:32:33 (permalink)
    And then there is "Group Select" stuff for track templates and muting and group adjusting parameters. 

Good thread. Now you got me thinking about the differences. Cheers.
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2012/11/02 20:36:25 (permalink)
    Yes, clicking on the track header or background puts it into focus. This then displays the parameters for that track in the Inspector.

Clicking on the track number, selects the track. This "activates" the track for various editing tasks.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - http://garrigus.com
    * Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
    * Author of the Cakewalk Sonar ProAudioTutor video tutorial series: http://garrigus.com/?ProAudioTutor
    * Publisher of the DigiFreq free music technology newsletter: http://digifreq.com/?DigiFreq
    * Publisher of the NewTechReview free consumer technology newsletter: http://newtechreview.com/?NewTechReview

Beepster
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2012/11/02 20:39:08 (permalink)
    Woo hoo! I got something right.

;-)
    soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2012/11/02 23:25:43 (permalink)
    Indeed, confusing terminology.
    To me 'focus' means 'not blurry'. Nothing in Sonar looks blurry to me so it's all in focus all the time. Unless I'm standing across the room without my glasses on, then everything's blurry all the time.

I think of 'selecting' when I click on something and 'highlighting' when I activate it. But I'm wrong as usual...

Steve

Beep, up to yer ol' post counting tricks again, I see.
    post edited by soens - 2012/11/03 04:11:02
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2012/11/03 03:33:46 (permalink)
    Hi, sorry I've confused you. I was trying to explain the difference rather than confuse.

I use the term "In focus" because only one track can have full focus at any one time. Auto track zoom is a great option to use to explain what I mean.....

I'm assuming you have the track view open and several tracks inserted.....

First press Ctrl+Shift+A. Click on track number one anywhere other than the track number.

Now turn on Auto Track Zoom by selecting it from the Track View--->View menu.

Track one will now be zoomed in on vertically and the others collapsed, Track one is the in focus track. Now click on the track header of track two anywhere other than the track number.

The "Focus" of the program has shifted to track two and is "in focus". Any input you make will apply to that track. For example if you have data on the clipboard and press "Ctrl+V" the data will be pasted into track two because it has focus.

Selected is completely different. Select a track by clicking on the tracks number, say track 3. The track number highlights and that track will also now have focus as well. It is selected and in focus.

Now click on track two anywhere other than the track number. The focus has shifted to track two but it is not selected, track three is selected and track two is in focus.

It's important because some actions will apply to the in focus track and selected tracks, some to just the in focus track. Right click and select delete for example. This action will delete two tracks - 2 & 3. Press Ctrl + C to copy and only the data on track 3 will be copied. Press Ctrl + V and the copied data will be pasted into track two.

That particular scenario catches users by surprise at first, in the past there has been loads of complaints on these boards about data being pasted to the "wrong" track, when in reality it's just lack of understanding between "in focus" and "selected". A track can be one or both, selected isn't necessarily in focus and vice versa.

I guess I could have used the term "active" but "in focus" makes more sense to me as it has the input focus of the program and as Scott has pointed out above a selected track can be thought of as "activating" the track for some forms of editing.

I don't think "Highlight" would help for "in focus" either because it isn't "highlighted" as such (although it is a different shade) but a selected track number is actually "highlighted".

That was what I was trying to explain. Sorry for the confusion and hope the above helps.

post edited by FastBikerBoy - 2012/11/03 03:40:34
    soens
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2012/11/03 04:09:53 (permalink)
    Hey FBB you didn't confuse me, I come pre-confused! I should have clarified it's Cakewalk's terminology I was speaking of. You're fine. No need to apologize.

Wait a minute. are you in the right thread?

Steve
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2012/11/03 05:10:35 (permalink)
    Hi Steve glad to hear it but confusing people is one thing I am good at.

It is quite difficult trying to get meaning across plainly and concisely in words, Scott has my upmost respect for what he does....me, I'll stick to "Confusion via video"
    wr
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2012/11/03 07:14:46 (permalink)
    Using "focus" in this way isn't just a Cakewalk thing, so don't blame them - it's a general computing term.  There's even a Wikipedia entry about it.
    gswitz
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2012/11/03 13:44:21 (permalink)
    I can see reasons for two types of focus... selection and focus...

It's hard for me when I can't anticipate the behavior. If I expect to change a parameter on one track and I change it on two, or another, that's confusing.

So, if I could get defined exactly what to expect, I think I could get used to it.
    Beepster
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2012/11/03 13:51:45 (permalink)
    Just make sure when doing stuff to a track that the blue button isn't active on other tracks. Even then for most things you'd have to be holding the control key to make the adjustment apply to other tracks. As I mentioned before I've actually started using the "Lock" function on tracks I am not currently working on to avoid making unwanted changes to accidentally "selected" tracks.

Also I'm pretty sure you can only have one track in "Focus" at a time so that should not cause those types of issues. Cheers.
    gswitz
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2012/11/03 14:17:09 (permalink)
    Beepster, I've gotta believe that the software designers didn't expect us to lock and unlock trax as we used them. This is a lot of work to protect from unexpected behavior. While I recognize that it is getting you through a rough patch as an early adopter, I would like to learn how the developers saw it being used.
    Focus is defined by the track number turning light blue background.
    Selection is defined by vertical colored bar to the left of the track. Selected track has a bold color where unselected has a faded color.
    Right now, I select a track by clicking the number. With auto zoom off, I kinda get the behavior I'm used to. If I click to add a node to an envelope in another track, the focus and selection moves to that track.

Turn Auto zoom on, set the focus on track one, by clicking the number 1, add a node to the envelope of track 2. Rather than shifting the 'focus' and 'selection' to track 2 (as with auto zoom off), it expands the focus to tracks one and two. Selection is still just track 1.  Now, add a node to the envelope of track 3. Track 2 loses selection and track 3 gains it; track 1 remains selected (unchanged). You can range select across tracks two and three to set the Focus only on tracks 2 and 3, while selection is still track 1.

When I say that track 1 remains selected, I mean that the track's details are defined in the current inspector.

Selecting a region of any track moves the focus to that track but not the selection (when using auto zoom).

So, I need a lesson in this. Someone has put a great deal of thought into how it will work. FBB points out that you can float the inspector and lock it by clicking the track name at the bottom of the inspector and choosing 'lock the current track or bus'. Now, we can change the selected track without changing the track in the track inspector (where are our key strokes going?). A quick test shows Alt+M mutes the selected track, not the track in the locked inspector.

I believe we are not allowed multiple Track Inspectors. That is called the Console View. :-)

So...

Why all this fanciness? How will we whip through these differences in 5 years? How would we explain it to a newbie (us now)?
    I would like to see it broken down what things occur to what tracks...
    Copy applies to Focus...
    Split Applies to (focus but not selection unless selection also has the focus)...
    Paste...
    Alt+M, Alt+R etc go to focus but this seems buggy. Set selection on track 1 and focus on tracks 2 and 3 by range selecting clips in 2 and 3. Alt+R and M can be turned on but not off. Select Mute by clicking the M on the selected track (1) and now alt M will toggle mute on tracks 2 and 3 only. Click the Record Icon on track 1 and Alt+R now toggles record on tracks 2 and 3 only. If you turn them off on the selected track, is possible to toggle them on for the focused tracks but not off.
    Where does scroll wheel go and when. I ask this because I have been surprised to see pro channel gains rolled on tracks I didn't expect and I suspect my scroll wheel.
    post edited by gswitz - 2012/11/03 14:37:25
    Beepster
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2012/11/03 14:41:58 (permalink)
    Hmm... I really haven't noticed much difference between X1 and X2 as far as Focus and Select. Just that weird bug. Mind you I'm only doing relatively basic stuff so maybe it gets weirder with automation. However I think what you are asking would be a really large list for both functions. They are pretty much one of the most imperative ways of accessing... well almost everything relating to the tracks.

Sorry... I know that's not much help. All I can say is just keep referencing the manuals and tuts and play around with all the menus and sub menus and Inspector with "Select" active and inactive. I think it's just one of those things where the more you do stuff the more things become clearer. I wish Sonar wasn't so darned confusing but I'm not sure what they could do to make it less so. Nuendo never seemed to give me such mental strains but I also wasn't being nearly as adventurous as I am with Sonar. Meh.

Cheers.
    soens
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2013/07/05 15:56:36 (permalink)
    gswitz
    Selection is defined by vertical colored bar to the left of the track. Selected track has a bold color where unselected has a faded color. 

Old thread, I know. But it came up in a search and I realized you have it backwards.

In Focus = Clicking on a track making it a lighter color gray.

Selecting = The Track Number box turns Blue.

Interestingly a track does not have to be in focus to adjust its controls.
    gswitz
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2013/07/06 08:41:15 (permalink)
    Soens, thanks for posting on the thread. This whole thing has continued to cause me confusion and I would say has been my hardest thing to learn to deal with in X2. I still sometimes hover in the wrong place and move the mouse wheel to scroll up or down a list of tracks and inadvertently change the level of some Selected track that is out of focus.

In my terminology, the Selected track is the one with the Orange Bar on the left side. There is only ever one of these. There can be lots of blue lights.

So, I think if I really worked at it I could come up with a 'How it works' by demonstration. I would still prefer that Sonar did it in the Help Documentation and specified the WHY as well.

I suspect there is an architectural reason for the change. The negative side effect is that I, as end user, can be hovering over parameters and tracks and clicking buttons I think will impact those tracks (maybe mute or solo keyboard strokes or a scroll wheel spin) and those changes are routed to a 'Selected Track' that I'm not looking at and not aware of. In a way, you kinda end up corrupting your project accidentally and unknowingly.

Things like, 'to scroll up and down your track list in Track View, be sure to hover over the tracks on the left and not over the wave forms' is important to know. If you hover in the wrong place and spin your scroll wheel -- nothing happens -- do you know if you just changed some arbitrary parameter that last had focus?

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    gswitz
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2013/07/06 08:51:32 (permalink)
    soens
    Interestingly a track does not have to be in focus to adjust its controls.

Precisely! A track is usually 'Selected' to be the target of keyboard control changes. When you are working a lot with the automation envelopes, you can change Focus without changing 'Selected'.

I honestly believe that this is a very complicated and changed piece of the software. I think it is underestimated by most users as a potential culprit for confusion and is often the reason for what get called 'bugs'.

Frankly, if the software is so confusing that experienced heavy users don't figure out how it works, that's a bug in my book whether it's to functional specification or not.

The first place that Sonar should go on this is to clearly educate it's heavy user base on how it works and why it works this way now. Caution should be raised to all user so that they understand to look for the orange bar before sending shortcut commands to the track they have their eyes focused on.

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Beepster
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2013/07/06 08:53:33 (permalink)
    I've never clicked a button or changed a parameter on a track and had that change applied to another track (unless of course I'm holding Ctrl, or they're grouped/linked). Something isn't right there. Very strange.

As far as scrolling and having the cursor hook into faders and knobs accidentally... I freaking hate that. It has happened to me very often in the Console View just when I think I've got my levels sounding good and then WHAMMO the fader gets turned all the way up blasting out my ears or less obnoxious all the way down but then I still lose my setting. Very annoying. I rarely use mousescroll anymore because of it (and the fact the scroll bar on my trackball has stopped working reliably). I just use the on screen scrollbars. Annoying but less annoying than accidentally screwing up my mix. I have to start getting into the habit of "locking" my faders and stuff. I forget how to do it now but there is a function where once you have things sounding good you do some voodoo spell on the parameter and then if you move that parameter you can double click it and it will return to the setting you locked it at instead of the default.

Beepster
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2013/07/06 09:00:07 (permalink)
    Oh... if you are referring to keybindings, not mouse commands, then yes, I could see how a keystroke could change a track unintentionally.

That is why I constantly make use of the Ctrl + Shift + A command. If I'm about to make a change of pretty much any kind that isn't directly related to what I was already doing I hit that binding to clear any selections on or offscreen. That way I KNOW whatever I do is going to be limited to the track I next touch or any selection/quick groups I make. Seriously I hit that binding every 30 seconds or so if I'm doing lots of editing or other stuff that involves selections.

gswitz
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2013/07/06 10:49:43 (permalink)
    Beep, I'm really talking about ANY time you look right at what you mean to change and spin the scroll wheel or hit a key stroke and modify some other track because you misunderstood the Focus/Selection difference or assumed with reasonableness that the selected track should have followed your human focus to the track you are intending to change. Maybe you were editing an envelope in the track and assumed that the track selection would change to the track you had been modifying envelopes on.

Beepster
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2013/07/06 11:01:52 (permalink)
    Like I said, I use Ctrl Shift A then click the track or parameter I want to mess with pretty much every time even if it may not be necessary. It's quicker than having to double check or fix something. Believe me I've had scenarios similar to what you are referring to. That's why I forced that habit into my workflow. As far as the In Focus vs. Selected issue if I'm not certain I'll try In Focus first and if it doesn't do what I want then I select it. It's just second nature to me now and I no longer have any wrong track issues unless I'm getting bit by the selection bug. Cheers.

Oh and it should be noted that Ctrl Shift A won't change the currently focused track so the habit of clicking the track in the Track Pane before proceeding avoids any issues there. Wax on wax off.
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2013/07/06 11:49:49 (permalink)
    soens
    Hey FBB you didn't confuse me, I come pre-confused! I should have clarified it's Cakewalk's terminology I was speaking of. You're fine. No need to apologize.

Steve

This word is pretty common in software.
    to select something is to clearly select it.
    to put focus is to click on.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2013/07/07 02:50:47 (permalink)
    Within any GUI, the element that is "in focus" is the one that will currently respond to keyboard input.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_(computing)

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    soens
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2013/07/07 03:39:54 (permalink)
    chuckebaby
    soens

Steve

This word is pretty common in software.
    to select something is to clearly select it.
    to put focus is to click on.

Thanks Chuck, but that comment was 6 months ago. I get it now.

But to help clear things up tell me how you "select" something without... CLICKING on it?

If you click on something to put it in "focus", and you click on something to "select" it... what's the difference?

This is why we NON-computer lingonized shlubbs get confused.
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2013/07/07 06:45:08 (permalink)
    Yes it can get confusing. But the sooner one can accept that there is a difference between "in focus" and "select" (for what ever reason), and learn the differences between the two, the better your computing experience will be!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2013/07/07 07:09:00 (permalink)
    gswitz

@gswitz
    The above statement you made isn't right. Don't know if you figured it out yet. It has been a few months since this thread started. But here goes,

Focus is not defined by the track number turning light blue background. This is the indication that the track is selected.

"In Focus" is indicated by the track turning a lighter shade of gray. "In Focus" has nothing to do with the track number turning light blue.

The colored straight lines, or bars, to the left of the track number indicates something totally different and has nothing to do with "Select" or "In Focus."

HTH🔚

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    gswitz
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2013/07/07 07:35:56 (permalink)
    I seem to be lonesome and a long way from home. :-)

I recognize that I'm the only one who seems to get confused and have trouble with this. I'll be quiet about it now. I'll continue to practice with it until I get it right.

Thanks, all.

@Soens, thanks for your company.

For anyone listening, this thread started on X2 rather than X2a.

stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re:difference between in focus and selected 2013/07/07 09:29:20 (permalink)
    FWIW, just as another example....    if click on the blue track number on track 1, then Shift+Click (or drag down to) the blue track number on track 10, all 10 tracks are now "selected".   So I can use Ctrl+Parameter and use Quick Group to adjust that same parameter on all 10 selected tracks at one time.   The track that I'm using to modify the parameter (with the Ctrl key pressed) is typically the track in focus. 

This could be done with Auto-Zoom enabled, but you'll never see all 10 tracks expand in height because Auto-Zoom doesn't care which track (or how many) is selected, just the one that has focus.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1