Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back?

Author
Dyonight
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 529
2012/11/21 20:23:17 (permalink)

Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back?

I was thinking about it... I would gladly spend up to $99 to buy the updated console plugin/driver/firmware. Maybe this could motivate Roland to think we are not a waste of time and money... and ask a team to seriously work on the case.

Sonar Platinum (Latest monthly update) / Roland A300-pro / AMD FX-8350 / Firepro V4900 / 16gb ram / RME HDSPe MadiFx

17 Replies Related Threads

Zo
    Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5036
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/21 20:30:08 (permalink)
    i'm ready to kill .....lol kinding (i must write it nowdayz ...lol) ....well i will accept but it is unacceptable ...

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
    Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
    Softube Summit EQ
    IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/21 20:32:02 (permalink)
    Dyonight

I was thinking about it... I would gladly spend up to $99 to buy the updated console plugin/driver/firmware. Maybe this could motivate Roland to think we are not a waste of time and money... and ask a team to seriously work on the case.

What the hellsinki are you talking about Dyo?

Craig DuBuc
    Zo
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/21 20:37:44 (permalink)
    he's talking Lobby with money !!!

Softube Summit EQ
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

Dyonight
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/21 21:52:24 (permalink)
    bah you know, pay to get the new version of Sonar, and pay to get the new version of assorted drivers for the system.  Still cheaper than considering selling everything and get something else.

I'm killing myself for some years trying to show the potential of this system and literally BEG for some attention from Cake/Roland since X1.

That just don't work, or at least that's how I feel about it.

Still no drivers for windows 8. 

Seriously. That's amazing.  We are not talking not so good prochannel support, we're talking no F$%?&ING support for the next gen OS.

Yeah Zo, let's talk about money since loyalty don't mean a thing since Cake=Roland.

So I would pay for the update. "Gladly"...  I'll stop here I'm getting angry...

Sonar Platinum (Latest monthly update) / Roland A300-pro / AMD FX-8350 / Firepro V4900 / 16gb ram / RME HDSPe MadiFx
    Crg
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/21 22:08:38 (permalink)
    So I would pay for the update. "Gladly"... I'll stop here I'm getting angry...

You haven't even mentioned the 64 bit Fantom VS. I would pay for the update also, gladly. But I want to know if I should  bust myself back down to a 32 bit box for the Fantom VS. The VS 700 C and R are another matter. There's more to the 32 to 64 bit transition than is being mentioned, and it all ties in to your needs of functionality. I' m working on it, I hope Roland is, Cakewalk takes orders from Roland now. We will have to work together.

Craig DuBuc
    Dyonight
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/21 22:35:09 (permalink)
    Crg

So I would pay for the update. "Gladly"... I'll stop here I'm getting angry...

You haven't even mentioned the 64 bit Fantom VS. I would pay for the update also, gladly. But I want to know if I should  bust myself back down to a 32 bit box for the Fantom VS. The VS 700 C and R are another matter. There's more to the 32 to 64 bit transition than is being mentioned, and it all ties in to your needs of functionality. I' m working on it, I hope Roland is, Cakewalk takes orders from Roland now. We will have to work together.
    Ahhh I'm more than ready to work togheter!!!

That being said, and now that I cooled down a little , I remember Samara, at least 1 if not 2 years ago, saying that the 64 bit fantom was an enormous task, so maybe they gave up and that's why a paid update could justify assigning some techs to get the VS-700 where it belong. Supported.

That's also why I started a list more than one year ago, to let everyone tell what they expect for this $4K system. Something Roland have not done when designing it at first. Anyway...

If some things cannot be implemented no problems but tell us why and we'll move on, just let us know that everything have been investigated and that it's not the "let's put in the easy things quickly to shut them up" kind of integration.

I doubt that an major upgrade like this could cost $1 000 000 in tech time, so if 3000-4000 users (plus newcomers which are currently forced to buy something else after reading the forum...) upgrade their system that could be worth it. That's 300 000 - 400 000 bucks for $99 each users willing to pay...

starfield
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/22 03:00:43 (permalink)
    I'd pay for both VS-C drivers/integration & Fantom VS 64-bit... The other way would be to ask Cake Bakers to post the source code and either go the open source way or engage a company with the 99$ idea to complete, including all the wishes posted here over years ... Pls count me in getting the budget for VS-C to survive!!!! Any statement from cakewalk/Roland on this? Will Seth still visit this place now with a Roland shirt?

Win10SP1,SONAR Platinum, Cubase 8 Pro, Ableton Live, Cakewalk : VS-700 Cons. & 2 I/O's. YAMAHA Tyros4, MOTIF XS Rack, MOXF8,  Roland JUNO Stage. Dell Precision T7500 Dual HexCore 5650@3.5GHz, 96GB RAM
    Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/22 06:03:40 (permalink)
    Open source is the only glimmer of hope.... 64 bit Fantom was maybe an indicator of things to come? Never happened did it...alas.

Sonar has gone in a different tangent with Pro channel and all that but it still bewilders me why they don't fess up and tell us to move along. It would save all this angst surely? Just release some source Cake and we will go away and try and satisfy our gear lust that way perhaps.

I've noticed there are a few forum members who've stepped away since we all got a bit sick of the wishful thinking scenario. Wouldn't it be AWESOME if suddenly Cake released an integration patch! But I am not holding my breath.... are you?

As for paying for a patch... I totally understand where Dyo is coming from. Totally. We would be best off supporting a third party though... however what happens when X3 is released? The real issue since 8.5.3 is the complete new code base I'm sure. If they could make it integrate they would have. Guessing they can't....and shan't.

Cheers all....

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/22 07:34:52 (permalink)
    Yet another panic attack, guys???

Didn't you all realize that we are part of a 'camera silens' expertiment, but instead of sticking us into a dark, quiet room they turned this forum into it! Yeah, and it doesn't take long until we all get all sort of hallucinations ...
    post edited by FreeFlyBertl - 2012/11/22 07:47:06

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/22 07:46:37 (permalink)
    At this point in time I wouldn't want to pay for the updated fix because Cake has got homework to be done that relates to all control surfaces - and that is clearly a software warranty issue. There was a similar thread just over at the X2 forum.

Plus, just do the math: take the number of users who acknowledged that they own the system (<47 as there are double posts) * $99 and you don't even get a summer intern for long enough to find a single bug ...

Focus on the music and slow the *@#% down unless you're producing anarchic punc rock, of course

If all goes wrong, then there is the open source option. or the 'semi-open source' option where you pay these $99 a single developer who'd love to fix these bugs because he can and he owns the system. For such guy 47*$99 might be worth spending countless hours on the code ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/22 08:00:14 (permalink)
    Mully

Open source is the only glimmer of hope....

... We would be best off supporting a third party though... however what happens when X3 is released? The real issue since 8.5.3 is the complete new code base I'm sure. If they could make it integrate they would have.
    There's a guy in the X2 forum who claims to have turned the Behringer rotary BCR2000 into a fully functional control over the prochannel (!!) using the cake SDK. I'd be curious to know whether he really managed or if it's just blatancy. I can't verify as I neither have his plug-in nor do I own that surface. Hence, until now I did not care.

When I had a look at the SDK I saw that it dates back to Sonar 7 (http://www.cakewalk.com/DevXchange/article.aspx?aid=111). Last update was in May 2011, but that just may be an update to the website. The actual SDK is probably older as this guys had claimed that he had to first port it to 64 bit before being able to use it.

Really, on that subject it is hard what to believe: Theoretically if somebody can do it for a MCU clone, it should be possible for the VS-700C as you could run that in mackie mode ... yet, for me at least, it's way too early to start that discussion. To kick that off and start a colaborate initiative there has to be a clear and final cut from Cake and Roland, not just silence ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/22 10:12:03 (permalink)
    Yeah I recall all the SDK banter some time ago actually. There were a few of us some time ago just before the Behringer BCF unit came out that were doing some integration things... old threads would be there somewhere. Couple of us had Fostex VM units and I actually got mine ticking quite well with Sonar at that time but the BCF offered touch faders and that was the start of that new phase.

The BCF was quite good but the long throw faders and the track labeling was too tempting a lure to be able to ignore the MCU and that was an excellent unit. Of course the V-Studio option was released and about a year after, most of us here had saved enough and the price had dropped enough for us to jump on board and revel in the glory that was 8.5.3 with a tight surface....and wasn't it good once you got the hang of all the options and how to jump around a 'mixing desk' again.

Of course we know what happened once the X series arrived.... a great face lift with a shiny new transmission whose synchro did not mesh well with our V-Studio gearbox. Things got wonky... then got old.

I'm sure there are some hardware issues with the V surface that make things quite difficult and they are beyond the standard MIDI / Mackie mode type challenges. Possibly the surface is not capable of seeing the signals correctly that are unique to the pro channel as one (very shallow) example.

We know Cake have had some staff changes etc so are only going to be more under the pump but I think we are all shocked at their lack of comment or direction on this issue which surprises me more in the context of how many users it would also deter.... but possibly these are 'acceptable' losses they have acknowledged internally until such time as either the dust settles, or they release the next big thing. Just look how busy the X2 forum is nowadays.... still amazes me just how busier it has gotten since X1 so Cake have possibly baked it and are getting to eat it as well....meantime they get to read this regular soap opera.

Cheers all.

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    Crg
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/22 15:18:03 (permalink)
    I remember Samara, at least 1 if not 2 years ago, saying that the 64 bit fantom was an enormous task

I missed that thread I guess, but yes, I can see that it would be. I guess you'd have to re-write everything, every patch etc. I just wonder why they can't better integrate the editor with the bitbridge avenue. I have it working in 64 bit, I can save and load instrument configurations and work on building and changing settings if I follow the new rules which are rather clunky.
    At this point, I'm assuming the blue control band I've talking about is an element of the bitbridge server, but I will have to get with Roland and Cakewalk on that problem. 

Craig DuBuc
    Crg
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/22 15:29:11 (permalink)
    Wouldn't it be AWESOME if suddenly Cake released an integration patch! But I am not holding my breath.... are you?

We've gotten several reminders that things are being looked at. X1d came along, let's hope for X2b or something in the way of a VS700-Fantom VS update.
    To abandon the VS 700 at this point would be really stupid.

Craig DuBuc
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/22 15:33:45 (permalink)
    A patch would be welcome, yes. But my objection is that it's seemingly ok in cakewalk's eyes to leave compatibility broken for months after a release. It is not ok. 

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    Zo
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2012/11/22 16:23:36 (permalink)
    i'm not as impacted because of few things : *

1) the first time i tried the fantom .....the way it was implented versus what we had in VST world was just a joke : i gave up 

2) ARX drums  ...Excellent sounds , monotimbral  , loaded when my system wants to : i gave up ...early too

3) PC : since i wanna be able to mix every where in every  system , i keep forcing myself using my 3r party plugins

4)Windows 8 : i ain't switching unless i really found an advantage or a limitation that i have in Win7 that i don't have in 8 ...so i don't give  a shhh

but with all those precautions the only area that was good went weird with X1d ...the VS700c way of working (latency of display, ACT going weird on old mapping ect ....)

Softube Summit EQ
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

Brad Russell
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 222
    Re:Anybody ready to pay to get the vs-C back? 2013/04/20 23:29:58 (permalink)
    I'd gladly pay for an update if they'd throw in basic OSX 10.7 and 10.8 drivers while they're at it. I'm not holding my breath. I just can't believe the way this company has changed since Roland bought it. The level of customer care seems to have slipped considerably. That was always my favorite thing about Cakewalk.

Brad Russell 
    www.bradrussellmusic.org

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1