Why does apply audio effects in GTP3 turn a mono .wav to stereo?

Author
ACE STOKES 2.0
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 141
2012/11/26 16:29:17 (permalink)

Why does apply audio effects in GTP3 turn a mono .wav to stereo?

I tried GR4 on some bass tracks and it changed them to stereo?  
post edited by ACE STOKES 2.0 - 2012/11/26 16:31:25

3 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Why does apply audio effects in GTP3 turn a mono .wav to stereo? 2012/11/27 15:50:02 (permalink)

Hi there Ace, how's it going!

I just reinstalled GT3 on my PC for you to see why this is happening, and I can confirm it does seem to happen with any effect when you hit 'Process'.

I've been through the help files and the options and I can't see any way to alter this behaviour. It's probably set this way by default so that any stereo effects are correctly applied though.

There is a way round it, if you really want to end up with a processed mono file. In the Edit View, first select the track and then from the menu bar click on Edit > Bounce to Track/s/...

Choose a (different) Track as the destination for the bounce, then in the Format drop-down list make sure you select: Mix Stereo Content to Mono 

In all honesty though, there is a far better way to achieve what you're doing and that's to insert the effect you want to use in the Track's FX Bin. The 'Process' option is really a hang over from a time when computers didn't have enough processing power and/or RAM to run effects in real time - permanently changing the recorded audio (also called 'destructive editing') is a one-way process once you've saved and closed your project.

When you mix down your project, the audio will have the effect applied to it, but the original audio is never altered (i.e. non-destructive editing).

Hope that helps!

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

ACE STOKES 2.0
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 141
    Re:Why does apply audio effects in GTP3 turn a mono .wav to stereo? 2012/11/27 16:36:58 (permalink)
      Hey Strummy!! It's goin' great!! How are things across the pond??!! You nailed it!! Yeah the apply effects is/was a quicky way to free up my ancient taxed PC and do a quick mix. I figured as much being a stereo effect it would render it as a stereo .wav It just caught me off guard-seein' double!! Sorry you had to go to the trouble of a reinstall but thanks so much!! The bounce to track box is what I couldn't remember. One thing I've been doing on scratch tracks is to export the dry .wav as a back up. Then apply an effect and export the wet one (we can never back up enough!!) just to have them both as an A-B option as it were. I think I will be leaving the apply effects button alone!! Cheers Brother
    SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Why does apply audio effects in GTP3 turn a mono .wav to stereo? 2012/11/27 16:42:10 (permalink)

Glad to help mate!

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1