Can someone help with this.

Author
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
2012/12/27 15:48:56 (permalink)

Can someone help with this.

I have got a question regarding the V700C console. Is there a way to monitor what the console is sending every time you move a fader or rotary encoder etc. Does the console send data every time you move or touch something. Can you monitor what data is coming into Sonar for example every time you move or touch something. Does any data come from the Midi out on the VS700R every time you move or touch something.

(Although I did have the system at one point I never actually tested this) The reason I ask is that I use Studio One software and they have now made it possible to link every midi note and controller code to every parameter in the program. What this does is effectively make Studio One totally controllable from every controller on the planet and yes it works very well.

I realise the V700C can be connected directly to the computer via USB and that would work as well as long as it sends data out via USB every time you moved or touched something. Are there any users out there who are only using the console without the VS700R involved and if there are can you test to see if moving or touching something is sending data into the DAW. 

Because if so then I could easily make the V700C work with Studio One and get every fader and rotary controller and button to control all the parameters in Studio One. This could be seen as unusual but as there are some V Studio systems going very cheap I thought it might be a good controller for me.

I am still not sure that they are going to get the V Studio working perfectly in Sonar X2 either. The vibe that I am getting is they are really going down the touch road and that is where they are heading. I can get touch controllers to completely control Studio One with ease but I am not sure it is the way I want to go necessarily.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2012/12/27 16:10:39

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt

2 Replies Related Threads

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re:Can someone help with this. 2012/12/28 07:04:30 (permalink)
    Hi Jeff,
    I have got a question regarding the V700C console. Is there a way to monitor what the console is sending every time you move a fader or rotary encoder etc. Does the console send data every time you move or touch something. Can you monitor what data is coming into Sonar for example every time you move or touch something. Does any data come from the Midi out on the VS700R every time you move or touch something.
    Yes, you can indeed monitor every button push or fader movement; it is quite simple to achieve:

When using both VS-700C and VC-700R you have to setup the VS-700C in Sonar as control surface by activating the system (MIDI) port 'CONTROL (VS-700)' and then connecting the VS-700C using this particular port (I assume it might be the same when just using the VS-700C via USB, but have never tried).

Now, you can intercept all messages going across the 'CONTROL (VS-700)' MIDI port. Just use any MIDI monitoring tool and make it listen to that port. I used the 'BC Manager' from Mountain Utilities to do this, but also tried it with the BOME MIDI translator ...
    (Although I did have the system at one point I never actually tested this) The reason I ask is that I use Studio One software and they have now made it possible to link every midi note and controller code to every parameter in the program. What this does is effectively make Studio One totally controllable from every controller on the planet and yes it works very well.

This sounds nice, but like a horrible effort to get this working ...
    I realise the V700C can be connected directly to the computer via USB and that would work as well as long as it sends data out via USB every time you moved or touched something. Are there any users out there who are only using the console without the VS700R involved and if there are can you test to see if moving or touching something is sending data into the DAW. 

I'm positive it'll work as I've intercepted controller data from other surfaces (MCU running on mackie protocol) that were connected directly via USB in the same way (as they were also connected using this 'MIDI' port inside Sonar) ... 
    Because if so then I could easily make the V700C work with Studio One and get every fader and rotary controller and button to control all the parameters in Studio One. This could be seen as unusual but as there are some V Studio systems going very cheap I thought it might be a good controller for me.

I am still not sure that they are going to get the V Studio working perfectly in Sonar X2 either. The vibe that I am getting is they are really going down the touch road and that is where they are heading. I can get touch controllers to completely control Studio One with ease but I am not sure it is the way I want to go necessarily.

I'm not so much in favour of touch. I think it's hyped and overrated. I tried to use it in the past 2 years and although it already worked quite OK (in terms of functionality) I found it a bit awkward to use if you try to do serious track editing or mixing ... but that's just my backward personality I reckon

post edited by FreeFlyBertl - 2012/12/28 07:14:08

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Can someone help with this. 2012/12/28 08:24:04 (permalink)
    Thanks very much Robert. You have answered my question. What you are saying and what I suspected is that any movements on the controller are sending data. I would say even if the V700C was only being used it would be the same thing only the data is being sent over USB instead of midi. Studio One will pick it up as long as it is coming in from somewhere.

BTW linking controller movements to software functions in Studio One is simply the best and simplest method of any DAW. How does this sound. Move a fader, knob, button or hit a pad on your controller, move the corresponding fader or any part of the software you want to control and simply click a link button and they are connected. Nothing horrible about it. These links are project dependant too so you can change them around according to what session you have actually got loaded. It means you can use any control surface, simple as that. You can use any digital mixer as well to control the software.

I am not sure about touch either but who knows one could get used to it. Currently I am working fine using a mouse, a trackball, (I am testing this right now and like it a lot) the QWERTY keyboard (for commands) and a digital mixer with its faders and controls to control the DAW. But it certainly looks like X2 is heading into lots of touch territory especially with Win 8 etc. 

In retrospect I am thinking that the V700C may not be the way to go as well as the displays will probably not function although I am confident that I get the faders and things to work fine. Also it is rather large for a controller and I am thinking I might want a much smaller footprint that is still powerful instead.

FYI an interesting article in SOS November 2012 on available control surfaces and there are certainly some interesting options out there.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2012/12/29 16:16:29

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1