Zeta 2 Clipping

Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
2013/04/02 15:57:58 (permalink)

Zeta 2 Clipping

I was just messing w/ some of the new presets included w/ version 2 of Z3ta and I noticed how many many of them were clipping badly. (Obviously, I'm talking about pre-fader clipping, yes). Not just by 0.x here - the meters in my DAW register overloads of as much as 4 or 5 dbs at time. And it's not just ONE preset, but, quite a lot of them.
post edited by Rain - 2013/04/02 16:16:03

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...

16 Replies Related Threads

Rain
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/02 16:12:00 (permalink)
    And between that and the authorization issues w/ Zeta, this makes it impossible for me to recommend your products to my peers. Like the legendary out of tune samples in Dimension, it makes the product look amateur and unfinished. - Of course the user can turn down the fader on the instrument - but what does it tell me about Cakewalk that they will release out-of-tune instruments and clipping synths? If they can overlook such obvious things...

Rain
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/02 16:15:46 (permalink)
    And lastly, I've had to post this using Firefox, because these forums are falling to ruins and I get a new random issue every day which I'm chronicling in a Test thread in the Coffee House.

Stipes Vigilo
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/02 17:22:50 (permalink)
    Personally have just started to use Dim Pro and Z3TA 2. Not having any sound issues that you are. I've actually been very surprised and pleased at the software. Much more than I expected.  I also use the Garritan World Library which uses microtuned samples and some instruments can contrast the DimP in that way. But like I said, I really have just started using it (just over a month or so). What do you think causes it? By chance, would these new sounds be the Free Mutant Pack? Brcause I am having problems with Z3TA bring those up at all so far. 
    I do also have issues daily with this forum and often get "Cakewalk.com is not responding" messages though.
    post edited by Stipes Vigilo - 2013/04/02 17:26:14

X3d Producer x64 - Win7 Professional - (2)Xeon 2.9/52GB - MOTU 24I/O

Rain
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/02 17:50:03 (permalink)
    If you're using Zeta, browse through Factory Content patches. There are many patches in pretty much every category which exhibit the behavior. Leave the fader in Sonar's console at its default position. You should see (and hear some clipping soon). For example, in the Hard Leads category, whoever "sound designer" BC is (patches w/ the initials BC at the end)he has created a bunch of patches that severly clip the meters, sometimes in excess of 6 db. How someone could NOT notice that while designing the sound is beyond anything I can understand, especially when they have access to a big LIMITER button right above the master fader in Z3ta. Note that, the opposite is equally true - a lot of the patches make excessive (compensatory?) use of the limiter.
    post edited by Rain - 2013/04/02 17:51:07

Stipes Vigilo
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/02 18:20:13 (permalink)
    Factory content is what I've been mostly playing with. I will definitely look closer for this and especially at the BC patches.

BTW, using Firefox and it seems to work better so far. I have noticed several of the sites I go to have problems since I 'upgraded to IE9' on this computer.

Rain
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/02 20:10:46 (permalink)
    I'm guessing that Zeta is marketed primarily towards people who are into aggressive dance music genres - hard, noisy and LOUD and where actual sound quality is sometimes secondary. Obviously, someone mixing his new song on DJ headphones may not fully appreciate the artifacts, noises and unwanted distortion. Simply considering how LOUD Z3ta is (even the old patches - the limiter is on and heavily active on a lot of those patches) may be an indication of that.

Rain
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/02 20:13:05 (permalink)
    And, FWIW, I love loud aggressive music and I don't mean to put the genre down as a whole. But aliasing, clipping and other artifacts don't always work for me, and I don't believe that louder is better.

Stipes Vigilo
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/02 23:12:45 (permalink)
    Did check it out again and heard what you are talking about, Especially the BC patches. I think you're right about it being marketed to DJ/House styles. To be honest, I thought that from the beginning and was just skipping over the obtrusive noise patches. And I tend to turn off the arpegiators so I can hear the true timbre/character of the patch. It's not my go-to synth but I like it's character all the same for certain things. Lately my focus has been on Alchemy, but Z3TA has a different quality. I do agree they give you examples of patches and may be best for other types of music, but I rewrite what I can and dump the rest anyway. Thanks for the suggestion to check it out again.

swamptooth
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2229
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/04 14:01:52 (permalink)
    rapture does this on several patches as well - even with the limiter on.  nearest i can figure is that the delays in the patches are processed after the limiter, and they build up in the track and cause clipping.  kinda weird. 

Arvid H. Peterson
    Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
    Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
    Home-brewed VSTs 
    Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
    Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Member, ASCAP   

Stipes Vigilo
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/19 16:41:29 (permalink)
    I recommend the Xenos library over the stock library. (They're priced right too.)

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/19 22:56:08 (permalink)
    Hi Rain I can understand where you are coming from. Many VST's have varying output levels and the range can be quite striking. The same can be said for hardware synths too and even between presets there can be serious volume level changes.

I was playing with the original Z3ta+ today and noticed that some presets were clipping the meter on the front of the Z3ta+ itself. But a simple volume level down shift put it back to right. On Zebralette for example the opposite sometimes happens when a preset is very quiet and I have to add 7 or 8 dB to the output level to get back to speed.

I am using a VU meter as my incoming ref level setting device and I have chosen a K system level of -14 to work at for a lot of things. Placing a VU straight after the synth will tell you exactly how loud the signal is leaving the VST. If a preset is too loud the VU will show it and a simple lowering of the output level on the instrument so the VU reads nicely up to 0dB VU with normal playing does the trick. 

It is the nature of the beast to a certain extent output levels varying as much as they do with synthesisers. But it is good to catch this problem early and make sure any levels leaving an instrument are right at the source. You need to level set for every preset before you play or record it. (using the synth output volume control) Then you won't have any issues with them later on in your signal chain.

Even when I have got all my hardware synths nicely setup level wise I still sometimes come across a patch that is very loud and overloading everything and it can happen from any instrument. I find the best control to grab is the volume level on the synth itself. Because even some slight distortion can actually occur within the synth and that distortion leaves the synth that way. No amount of gain reduction later will fix it. But turning down the volume level on the instrument always fixes it. I think you have to keep an eye on VST's the same way.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2013/04/20 05:05:31

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/20 06:43:53 (permalink)
    The issue in not that you cannot turn down the level on Z3ta2, I think the point Rain is simply making is that stock preset patches that are so unusably clipping/ hot simply should not be released to public.. its sloppy work and poor QC. ..

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/20 08:11:54 (permalink)
    That is a good point and it brings us into preset programming and the quality of that. Levelling out presets is something synth programmers can do. But only up to a certain point.

There is another aspect to it and that is the volume envelope of a sound can have great effect on overall level. If a sound is short and sharp it may never have time to develop much signal level and those patches can tend to be quiet. On the other hand a big fat pad that reaches full volume levels can produce signal levels that are way higher. 

You can do a certain amount such as push levels of the quieter sounds up using what DSP you have available and pull some of the louder sounds down to bring them more in line. I am talking within the synth here but of course once a sound leaves the synth there is a lot we can do in our DAW's too. 

Some VST's that feature limiters don't always do a great job of the limiting and it is better often to switch them off and control the level of the sound in other ways.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Stipes Vigilo
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/22 01:10:03 (permalink)
    For me it has to do with starting points.
    And if the supplied library doesn't show a good range,
    I'm liable to not use the synth that 'came free with the DAW'.

Most of what was supplied was noise, some made even worse by the clipping.
    Seems like there were around five patches that were okay starting points to edit from.
    I'm sure there's a market for those other noises, but not for my music styles.

With so many synths competing, I'm going to go with the one with a usable library.
    I used to do the full on programming from scratch,
    but that seems counter productive to me now as it's just faster to find
    something close and edit it from there, so I can get back to recording it.

I found the Xenos library gives more and better 'starting' points for Z3ta
    (and they're quite cheap too.)

But buy them direct from Xenos and not from the Cakewalk Store
    as Xenos sells them for half the price ($5.25 vs. Cakewalk's $9.95)

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/22 01:40:18 (permalink)
    There are about 2000 patches in Z3TA+2.  While the clipping is a problem, it takes about 2 seconds to turn it down.  Certainly sloppy, but not a deal breaker.  And I've found plenty of useful patches and starting points - if you ain't looking for acoustics instruments.  My biggest problem w/ the library is the sameness.  Lots of basses that aren't all that different, at least for me.  But still, for $99 (or free), it is a useful synth. 

And there are some free sounds out there (tho $5 is hardly expensive).

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Rain
    Re:Zeta 2 Clipping 2013/04/23 18:39:30 (permalink)
    I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker - Zeta is one of the very very few practically essential 3rd party plug-ins that I use.

Furthermore, as I do w/ all the synths that I use, the first thing that I do is usually to re-save every patch as a Audio Unit preset, so that I can access them directly in Logic's browser, select them w/ key commands and such. Doing that, it isn't too hard to bring down the fader on Zeta and fix the issue before I hit save.

However, I do consider that it's the kind of little thing that plagues many Cakewalk products.

I know it is silly, but when I see typos in a preset name, when the factory patches don't follow a certain naming convention and other such inconsistencies, when a large number of presets are clipping the output of a synth by as much as 5 or 6 db, when samples are out of tune, to me, there is sort of a pattern that tells a story about QC.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1