Suggestions: VS-20 + Keyboard or A-800 PRO?

Author
Akito
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
2013/05/12 17:59:28 (permalink)

Suggestions: VS-20 + Keyboard or A-800 PRO?

Hi, If there is a more appropriate forum for this thread, please let me know. I was going to post it in the Hardware forum, but that seems to be reserved only for non Cakewalk hardware and I didn't see a general Cakewalk Hardware forum, though I could have sworn one existed. Anyway, so next payout (see: a long while from now) I plan on purchasing a control surface so I can edit my tracks without hassling with my mouse and a midi keyboard because my current keyboard refuses to work, but being on a relatively limited budget, there's only so much I can afford. Two options seem to be the most viable right now. Guitar Center seems to have some great keyboards for reasonable prices, so I could probably get a keybozard there plus a Roland VS-20 control surface. This will serve especially useful since the VS-20 also has a built-in audio interface so if I ever need to temporarily move my studio to another location, I don't have to bring my mixer in addition to the controller and whatever else I might need at the time. (Plus, I read a review on Amazon that said you can't add a guitar or vocal effect without having it applied to the whole project as opposed to just the one track) On the other hand, for about the same price (perhaps even cheaper) I can get a Roland A-800PRO keyboard with control surface built in. That seems like it would be essentially killing two birds with one stone. Unfortunately, the problem with that is that it doesn't have any built-in synthesizers so I'd have to rely purely on soft-synths. This isn't a problem for recording, but if I wanted to just play, it would be a bit of a nuisance to have to launch Sonar and select a synth. Also, since Amazon describes it as a "Midi Controller," I'm not sure if the faders can be used to adjust audio tracks as well. So which one sounds like a better deal? I'm a bit of an idiot about control surfaces (since, you know, I don't have one) so any other suggestions (within a reasonable price range; I would love to just get a VS-700 or some other $1000 controller if I could) are also welcome. Thanks in advance. (EDIT - Should mention- Using Windows 8 with Cakewalk Music Creator 6. Also, I really need to get into the habit of using this forum with Internet Explorer so the lines will actually break)
post edited by Akito - 2013/05/12 18:08:09

2 Replies Related Threads

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Suggestions: VS-20 + Keyboard or A-800 PRO? 2013/05/12 20:43:20 (permalink)
    I use the vs 20 as a soundcard and a control surface in sonar x2.
    it works perfectly like that, each fader controls the fader in sonar.
     theres also a button to move the unit up from controlling tracks 1-8 to tracks 2-16 then 16 to 24.
    its very useful like this.
    I also use a keyboard with it. yes it is a midi controller but not like a keyboard where it triggers notes.
    I use a simple m audio oxygen 49 to play my soft synths. love that the keyboard has knobs and faders because I use them to assign to tracks as well (like panning. other tracks).

anymore questions or if im not grabbing you idea of your question. shoot back another.

good luck.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Akito
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:Suggestions: VS-20 + Keyboard or A-800 PRO? 2013/05/12 21:29:13 (permalink)
    Well, you seem to get the jest of my question, so it sounds like just getting a keyboard plus the VS-20 would be a better investment from that post. I'm not sure if it works with Windows 8 or not though as only up to Windows 7 is specified. However, I'm not planning on using whatever keyboard I get WITH the VS-20. I just need a MIDI device that will record MIDI in and out, but also has a much more fuller range of keys. (And other factors that I'll take into account when I have options in front of me, such as inclusion of a pitch bend wheel) The keyboard doesn't necessarily have to have a control surface built in; I just was thinking it might just save me the trouble of having to buy both if I get the A-800. Curiously, since this review from Amazon seems to be the only reported such a phenomenon, I was wondering if you've had any trouble where you if you apply effects to a track, you can hear the effect added to the whole mix when monitoring? I tend to record alongside other tracks, so having to hear an Amp Sim, as an example, applied to the bass and drums while would be really bothersome.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1