Opening program causes reboot

Author
Father Lennard
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2004/11/09 20:49:19 (permalink)

Opening program causes reboot

I have Cakewalk Music Creater 2003 on my computer (Operating Sysytem = Windows XP), which used to work fine. However, I had loads of virus problems recently, and now whenever I try to open the program my computer instantly reboots itself. Anyone got any idea why this is happening and how it could be fixed?

For reference, here is the error message I get when I try to open it:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down in order to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP:0x0000008E(0xc0000005, 0xf64f5ccc, 0xf65ff3d8, 0x00000000)

*** nvmcp.sys _ Address f64f5ccc base at f64b4000, DateStamp 3d0fa54d

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance. "

So there you go. Thanks a lot to anyone who can help!

11 Replies Related Threads

hufhouse
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Opening program causes reboot 2004/11/10 19:02:45 (permalink)
    I to be Master of the Obvious here, but you need to get some good anti-virus software. If you can't afford to buy some, go to www.grisoft.com and download the AVG Free Version. It's excellent.

You might also want to go to www.symantec.com and have them do a system scan over the internet.

The problem you are experiencing definitely sounds like it is related to a virus.

Guy Hufstetler
    Proud Husband of Julie Hufstetler
    www.juliehufstetler.com
    Father Lennard
    RE: Opening program causes reboot 2004/11/16 16:08:01 (permalink)
    I had virus problems before, but now I've got Norton anti-virus and they seem to have cleared up. I think one of the viruses I had before may have permanently corrupted something though, which is what's stopping cakewalk from opening. What do you think? Is this possible/likely? And if this is the problem, is there any way I can fix it?
    hufhouse
    RE: Opening program causes reboot 2004/11/16 18:46:03 (permalink)
    I would uninstall and reinstall the program and see if that helps.

Guy Hufstetler
    www.juliehufstetler.com
    marcel71
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 147
    RE: Opening program causes reboot 2004/11/16 19:30:37 (permalink)
    and if you still have a problem after you run a virus scan and reinstall Cakewalk, I would wipe your hard drive clean and reinstall windows.
    Father Lennard
    RE: Opening program causes reboot 2004/11/16 20:58:04 (permalink)
    Damn, gonna have to go for the wipe then. Problem is, it'll take hours for me to backup and reinstall all my stuff. Is there any other way?
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Opening program causes reboot 2004/11/17 12:43:20 (permalink)
    None that i know off currupted files are a terror!! I suggest a clean hard drive and then start from scratch. When you get a clean system then protect it first then add the other things. If you have antivirus that is good, i find norton to be rather painful it seems to take over. I prefer Avast it can be found at snapfiles.com also i suggest sygate for a fire wall both of these are free and work very well, the aforementioned AGV is not bad i had it for about a year but it did not seem to catch anything so i tried avast and it seemed to be more agressive without trying to take control of my computer, like norton does. it also updates several times a week and runs well with other programs.

Many out there like myself, use their computers for many different things, surfing the web, office work, e-mail, and music. While this can be done, it is not optimal. DAW work (digital audio workstation) is very demanding of a computer. we are asking a computer to do what a mega expensive recording console used to do. This demands most of our resourses inside the computer, ram, processor speed. It is best if one wants this to work real well to built a system dedicated to music recording and not attach it to the internet. then have a second system for basic use. If one can not do that that is understandable, i can not at this time, but we have to realize that all we do on this system is going to conflict, and compete for the systems resourses.
    hufhouse
    RE: Opening program causes reboot 2004/11/17 12:47:16 (permalink)
    Rob:

I still like AVG from Grisoft. It has caught everything I've gotten, AND they just came out with a NEW upgraded FREE VERSION!

You might want to give it a try.

I cannot agree with you more about Norton. I had the anti-virus and firewall installed at one time and it just takes over your entire system and bogs it down like lead weights! I can't imagine doing digital sound stuff on a system with Norton installed!

Guy Hufstetler
    www.juliehufstetler.com
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Opening program causes reboot 2004/11/17 21:11:47 (permalink)
    Thanks guy for the update on AVG, I will take a look at it, I used it for a while in my office, but one of my friends over at acid planet sent me a link that questioned it's ability to catch some of the nasties out there, i can't remember the details but it made sense at the time. So I tried Avast, so far 18 months and no viruses. It is a very interactive software, also free. Using it together with sygate firewall i have had no problems. A greeat place to shop for lots of very nice free stuff is at http://www.webattack.com/freeware/ i find loads of goodies there. Also over at http://www.kvr-vst.com/ there is lots of great music stuff
    bberg
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Opening program causes reboot 2007/02/17 03:17:43 (permalink)
    i'm kinda late here...

anyway, had the same problem

it seems the nvmcp.sys is related to nvidia
    just installed their newest audio driver and it fixed everything
    nvidia.com > drivers > platform/nforce > nforce audio driver
    millerbill
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: Opening program causes reboot 2007/02/17 17:05:53 (permalink)
    May humbly suggest that BEFORE you wipe yourself clean [and boy is that the last resort of last resorts] that you do a CLEAN uninstall and reinstall and see if your problems are resolved.
    I've bumped instructions to the top of the forum.
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Opening program causes reboot 2007/02/17 21:52:54 (permalink)
    I agree with the norton takes over thing, and it is a huge file, the free ones work better and less intrusively. To throw in another suggestion, when I go into recording mode, I use zonealert to block all internet traffic and prevent unwanted updates occurring in the middle of a session, and then shut down all the other virus/spy ware, then any other un-needed background programs get shut down in the control panel (clrl/alt/delete). Problem free, but the biggest poblem was solved by uninstalling norton.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1