virus mod questions?

Author
myconsumerclub
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 410
2013/05/25 17:15:46 (permalink)

virus mod questions?

anything I need to know before tackling adding on the Virus mods for z3ta

Samsung I7 8 mb ram windows 8 64 bit on everything x2 & X1 producer line 6 podfarm gold interface event monitors Ibanez rg 350 guitar and GA6CE classical edirol pcr 500 keystation 88 plugins out the wazoo

28 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/25 17:18:14 (permalink)
    Nah, it is pretty simple, just copy the zeta+ directory and follow the instructions.
    myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/25 20:27:03 (permalink)

I have windows 8 and the Z3ta dll file is not in the Z3ta folder its in the VST folder in a separate z3ta+ folder so do I mimic that structure or keep the dll file in the duplicate z3ta folder

Samsung I7 8 mb ram windows 8 64 bit on everything x2 & X1 producer line 6 podfarm gold interface event monitors Ibanez rg 350 guitar and GA6CE classical edirol pcr 500 keystation 88 plugins out the wazoo
    myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/25 20:56:17 (permalink)
    not sure if I did it right but it looks like regular z3ta 

myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/25 22:31:54 (permalink)
    found another virus mod called v2 ultimate 

scook
    Forum Host
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/25 22:56:04 (permalink)
    I do not have Win8. When I setup Virus_zeta+ years ago (2007 I think on XP), I copied the entire z3ta+ directory structure into a Virus_z3ta+ directory in the Vstplugins directory. Then copied the z3ta+ dll into the top level of Virus_zeta+ and renamed it virus_z3ta+.dll

FWIW, I just copied my old Virus_z3ta+ directory into my Win7 SONAR installation and although it was 32bit, it worked fine.
    myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/26 01:46:50 (permalink)
    I have it working I think but I want the ultimate version to see what it can do

scook
    Forum Host
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/26 01:54:33 (permalink)
    Please, let us know how it works for you.
    myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/27 23:03:23 (permalink)
    from the read me instructions on thvirus mod ultimate version

rgc:audio z3ta+ Virus MOD v2 Ultimate

Introduction

This is an updated version of Virus MOD v2 by fr4ncesco revised and improved 
    by Walter Cescato.
    A myth says that z3ta+ engine is based on the Access VIRUS but it is not, it 
    is an extraordinary synthesizer capable of an infinite palette of sounds and 
    this includes those generated by an Access VIRUS.
    With almost unlimited patching possibilities I found the z3ta+ one of the few 
    synthesizers able to emulate Oberheim's monsters Matrix-12 and Xpander.
    The modification features a Wavetable set based on the VIRUS "Classic" Mode set, 
    a skin based on the VIRUS TI and a bank loaded with VIRUS inspired sounds.
    The improvements over previous virus MOD are:

• The custom Wavetable set does not overwrite the original z3ta+ Wavetable set.
    • When the VIRUS Wavetable set is loaded, the corresponding original VIRUS Waves 
    labels are shown in the 'Oscillators Wave' selection (only 'User 1 to 6' labels 
    remain unchanged being actually VIRUS Waves 58, 59, 60, 62, 63 and 64). 
    • The skin not only shows a more realistic hardware look but also helps with 
    some clues in the signal flow.
    • The default bank is preloaded with both the VIRUS Wavetable set and the z3ta+ 
    original Wavetable set.
    • Additional loadable VIRUS Waves (21, 22, 42, 44, 49, 54, 61, Saw and Pulse) are 
    included so the "Classic" Mode set is now completed.

Requirements

A clean, working, un-moded installation of z3ta+ v1.53 (compatibility with other 
    versions is unknown).

v1.53 was the last version developed by rgc:audio and had many improvements:

• Native Windows Vista® Support (applies to Windows 7)  
    • 64-bit Windows binaries in DXi and VSTi formats  
    • Stand-Alone Microhost for x64 Windows versions  
    • Real-Time and Off-Line independent Playback Quality selectors  
    • New MIDI Learn functionality  
    • Import MIDI file to Arpeggiator function  
    • Optimized Arpeggiator Engine  
    • Wavetable saving (from Oscillator Shaper)

Note: Banks saved in older v1.3 does not load properly in v1.53. A workaround 
    is to load and save old banks in v1.4 and then load in v1.53. The "v13 default" 
    bank was already converted and included in the MOD.

Downgrade?

This is 2012 and there's Cakewalk z3ta+2 so what's the point of using v1.53?

• Cakewalk z3ta+2 does not allow using more than one Wavetable set.
    • Cakewalk z3ta+2 does not have the 'Load Global Wavetable set' program option.
    • Cakewalk z3ta+2 does not have the 'Load Program Wavetable set' program option.
    • Cakewalk z3ta+2 does not handle banks as it used to be.
    • Cakewalk z3ta+2 distorts v1.x patches using 'Loaded User Wavetables'.
    • Cakewalk z3ta+2 offsets an octave up in arp patterns from v1.x patches.

Installation

• Copy/replace contents of 'z3ta+' folder to your 'z3ta+' main folder:
    (where Arpeggios, Documentation, Resources, Tunings and Wavetables are located)

• Copy/replace contents of 'Programs' folder to:
    (Windows XP) ...Program Data/Cakewalk/z3ta+/Programs
    (Windows 7) ...ProgramData/Cakewalk/z3ta+/Programs

Note: A 'Factory Backup' folder is included with the original 100 arpeggios that 
    are replaced by the MOD.

Loading And Saving

• If you are happy with the included banks and you don't need to change Wavetable 
    sets just use them, change them and save them. The only special thing to know is 
    to select the [F] sub-bank prior saving a bank based in the default 'VIRUS' bank.
    • If you are tweaking programs within a host such as Cubase don't worry, wavetable 
    set references are saved within the project.
    • To load banks or programs saved with previous MOD use 'Load Global Wavetable set' 
    or 'Load Program Wavetable set' program options to load the included "virus.set".
    • To load banks or programs based on the original z3ta+ Wavetable set use 'Load 
    Global Wavetable set' or 'Load Program Wavetable set' program options to load the 
    original "oscil.set".
    • To save banks using custom Wavetable sets select the program following the last 
    one using the custom Wavetable set, load "oscil.set" with 'Load Program Wavetable 
    set' and then save the bank. Remember that custom Wavetable sets must remain inside 
    the 'Wavetables' folder!
    • To save banks based on the original z3ta+ Wavetable set select any program, load 
    "oscil.set" with 'Load Program Wavetable set' and then save the bank.
    • Finally you have to know about the power of 'User 1 to 6' shapes available from 
    the 'Oscillators Wave' selection and loadable from disk in 'WAV' format (look for 
    the 'Load Program Wavetable' program option): There are 6 oscillators per program 
    so you can build up a sound by loading up to 6 custom oscillator shapes... but you 
    can tweak another program and load another 6 different oscilator shapes... and so 
    on, and so on, and here's more good news... the whole data is kept encrypted within 
    the bank, even if the original 'WAV' source is deleted! Just amazing, isn't it?

>>>> VIRUS Default <<<<

The VIRUS Default program is patched with initial settings as a starting point for 
    users needing to shape a VIRUS inspired sound from scratch.

• USER Waves 1-2 are preloaded with Saw and Pulse waves respectively.

• Oscillators "couple" 1-2 generates Triangle and Saw waves.
    • Oscillators "couple" 3-4 generates Saw and Pulse waves.

• The oscillators couples 1-2 and 3-4 represent the main oscillators in the VIRUS, 
    where an oscillator offers a control to morph from Saw to a selected Wave or Square.
    This behavior can be achieved here by tweaking levels within a couple (note that 
    OSCILLATORS MODE is NSYNC to do this properly). Of course pre-selected Waves might 
    be changed but keep in mind the following to stay in VIRUS domains: A Saw wave MUST 
    exist in each couple and Pulse or Triangle is the only choice for Sub-Oscillator.

• Oscillator 5 is reserved to use for NOISE or as VIRUS 'fixed-Shape' Oscillator 3.
    • Oscillator 6 generates a Pulse wave and represents the VIRUS Sub-Oscillator.

• The X-Y PAD controls Oscillators couples balance horizontally and Sub-Oscillator 
    level vertically, so there's no need to change adjustments from multiple sliders in 
    OSCILLATOR section (remember these sliders are reserved for Wave Shape).

• The Pulse-width for the Triangle wave in couple 1-2 is adjusted with the RANGE 
    control in the MATRIX, with destination OSC1 PW (actually this is patched in case a 
    Square wave is selected).

• The Pulse-width for the Square wave in couple 3-4 is adjusted with the RANGE 
    control in the MATRIX, with destination OSC4 PW.

• Everything is bused through Filter 1 in DUAL, meaning everything is affected by 
    Filter 1, then by Filter 2. ENVELOPE 1 is patched to control both filters CUTOFF.

• Note that RENDER is set to HIGH and POLYPHONY to 16 voices, this setting is not 
    compulsory so it might be changed depending on systems and projects.

"Morphing" With the z3ta+

Here's some help on patching for 2 Oscillators 'morphing' using the RANGE Control:

SOURCE    RANGE     CURVE     CONTROL   DESTINATION
    ON        <morph!>                      FUN1
    FUN1      ========  U-LIN-              OSCA LEVEL
    FUN1      ========                      OSCB LEVEL

The z3ta+ also provides a way to perform 'morphing' between 2, 3 and 4 parameters 
    with the X-Y PAD as done by some classic instruments like Sequential Prophet-VS, 
    Yamaha SY22 and KORG Wavestation. Here's some help for patching:

///////////////////////////
    //B                     C//
    //                       //
    //        <morph!>       //
    //A                     D//
    ///////////////////////////

SOURCE    RANGE     CURVE     CONTROL   DESTINATION
    X-Y PAD X ========  U-LIN-              OSCA LEVEL
    X-Y PAD Y ========  U-LIN-              OSCA LEVEL
    X-Y PAD X ========  U-LIN-              OSCB LEVEL
    X-Y PAD Y ========                      OSCB LEVEL
    X-Y PAD X ========                      OSCC LEVEL
    X-Y PAD Y ========                      OSCC LEVEL
    X-Y PAD X ========                      OSCD LEVEL
    X-Y PAD Y ========  U-LIN-              OSCD LEVEL

Note: A powerful filter controller can be patched with A, B, C, D being replaced 
    by filters CUTOFF and RESONANCES.

Disclaimer

The content on this package is not intended for commercial use or distribution.
    This project is about sharing knowledge between synthesizer enthusiasts and no 
    profit is pursued. Trademarks mentioned on this document are property of their 
    respective companies.  

Credits

René G. Ceballos - Synth and effects design and programming
    Bitplant - Original user interface design
    Limeflavour - 'ModernRetro' skin design
    Dusty - The NeoPhysik - HQ waves for the custom Wavetable set
    Big Tone - Original sound design

myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/27 23:06:11 (permalink)
    considering the other version required that I duplicate the dll file and rename all the files for z3ta to vius_z3ta I am concerned with the differences in this one. 

myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/27 23:17:26 (permalink)
    Z3ta dll file is located here programfiles/cakewalk/vstplugins/z3ta+
    a renamed dll called virus_z3ta+

arpeggios documentation resources tunings and wavetables are here programfiles/cakewalk/z3ta+ 

with the last mod I had to create a file called virus_z3ta+ and dump in the files mentioned above into it and I was instructed to create a programs file in that folder as well instead of using the program file in programdata/cakewalk/z3ta+

scook
    Forum Host
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/27 23:23:54 (permalink)
    What is the worst that can happen? Breaking the original z3ta+ install. You could copy off the original to another directory before embarking on this adventure. Then if this "Ultimate" mod was a flop, just delete it and copy back the original. If on the other hand you like the mod, you could get back the original by doing something like the original virus mod. The original virus mod worked by copying the z3ta+ directory tree, overlaying some files and renaming the dll. I imagine if you took the original z3ta+ and set it up like you were going to perform the original virus mod, then did nothing but rename the z3ta+.dll to z3ta+_orig.dll, you would have the original z3ta+ available for use too.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/27 23:39:06 (permalink)
    Here is another thought. If you want a bunch of new presets for z3ta+ http://www.xenossoundworks.com/z3ta.html has four sets of presets for $5.25 each. Cakewalk is selling three of them for $9.95 each or $29.90 for all three. No muss, no fuss just drop the fxb files into the programs directory and your off.
    myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/27 23:48:43 (permalink)
    Think I will back it up and save those files before doing this according to the instructions and see how that goes

myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/27 23:50:02 (permalink)
    did it now to test it

scook
    Forum Host
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/27 23:51:48 (permalink)
    Sounds like a plan. You don't need anything fancy just copy the directories off to different names. It is all just directory/file magic, no registry changes involved.
    myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/28 00:26:17 (permalink)
    had to recopy the original wavetables from my backup the original files did not exist but that was easy to fix I am wondering how many of the original arp files are screwed up as well by following those directions..

Just noticed you can shut off the arps and use those tones without arps by disabling the arpergiator a very cool feature I would like to see more vsti's offer.  Also 2x oversampling is not on so I needed to flip that on to increase the quality 

scook
    Forum Host
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/28 00:34:00 (permalink)
    That could be why the kvr thread contained comments about bad aliasing.
    myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/28 00:44:34 (permalink)
    liking this a lot. 

myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/28 00:47:36 (permalink)
    http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5186653

this thread is the one I found this ultimate mod at. 

The instructions claims the arps are added to but my original arps file had 200 in it so I am wondering since the mods factory backup only contained 100 and it offered another 100 so is it that there can only be 200 total.

scook
    Forum Host
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/28 01:11:39 (permalink)
    I already had a copy, never bothered to mess with it. I just built it like the old virus mod (which I have not played with in years) and it works just fine. Here is what I did. Copied all the parts of z3ta+ into a single directory in Vstplugins called Ultimate_z3ta+. Merged the three folders Arpeggios, Resources and Wavetables into the Ultimate_z3ta+. Copied the programs into the Programs directory in Ultimate_z3ta+. Renamed the z3ta+.dll Ultimate_z3ta+.dll. It seems to work fine. I do not understand why the instructions for the ultimate version divert so much from the original virus. The synth has not changed, just the the default layout. It still works like it always has.
    post edited by scook - 2013/05/28 01:29:16
    myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/28 01:46:51 (permalink)
    put the original arps back in and backed everything up before hand sounds cool enough

myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/28 01:48:41 (permalink)
    yeah its got some cool presets and I like them but z3ta 2 is so much more fun to mess with 

scook
    Forum Host
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/28 01:55:57 (permalink)
    I completely agree, have not looked at z3ta+ since z3ta+2 came out. BTW, the preset packs in link I provided above come with both z3ta and z3ta+2 presets.
    post edited by scook - 2013/05/28 01:58:09
    myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/28 01:59:04 (permalink)
    cool I will check those out

myconsumerclub
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/28 02:05:46 (permalink)
    vintage 70's and 80's is cool. I have synthmaster and want to see if I can use these waves in it as well as Z3ta and maybe the files for rapture and dimpro as well

scook
    Forum Host
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/05/28 02:14:16 (permalink)
    Don't let the names of the other sets scare you off. They are pretty good too. Don't have synthmaster but waves are waves.
    SynthesizerMadness
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/06/09 06:10:06 (permalink)
    I have found that, sadly, it is very hard to use waves from other instruments/recordings/vsti samplers in Z3TA+ (v1.5 and 2), because they can only be a certain length.... also the sound is often different, like if I wanted to use a wave from another VSTi (OP-X PRO II in this case), I record a MIDI note with my favourite preset, bounce the track and drag-drop into Z3TA+2.... the wave looks and sounds very different. Also, is it possible to have 2 Z3TA+2s? One with Virus, and the other normal? Because I hear that when you have the virus mod, you can only access the virus wavetables, but I want the normal ones as well.... do you need to buy/register it twice or can you just copy and paste everything, have 2 Z3TA+2 vsts, one with the mod and the other without it??   
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re:virus mod questions? 2013/06/09 09:37:45 (permalink)
    I have not tried the virus mod with z3ta+2, all the versions that I have seen work with the original z3ta+. There is no problem having multiple copies of z3ta+ on a machine. There is no issue with the license. The way I created multiple copies of the z3ta+ was to collapse all the components into a single directory in the VST plug-in directory and rename the z3ta+ dll. The dll appears to search locally for data before going out to the default installation directories. I have not tried any of this with z3ta+2.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1