Using an ordinary computer keyboard as a MIDI input device?

Author
Jürgen Hubert
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2013/06/07 13:21:56 (permalink)

Using an ordinary computer keyboard as a MIDI input device?

So I recently bought Music Creator Touch 6 to reconnect with my long-buried musical side and ordered a cheap MIDI keyboard as an input device so that I could play around with it.

Unfortunately, it turned out that this keyboard was too cheap - its USB socket broke off after only two days of use. Getting a replacement from the manufacturer will take time (as would getting a more robust model), made more difficult by the fact that I'm leaving for a one-week bicycle tour on Wednesday. Still, I'd like to play around with the Music Creator until then, and using the mouse to play melodies is... inconvenient.

Therefore I'd like to use my ordinary computer keyboard as a MIDI input device instead. I know that I won't be able to simulate keyboard pressure, but it's better than nothing.

Does some sort of add-on or plug-in exist like that for Music Creator? I've tried another free piece of software which uses the computer keyboard as a MIDI keyboard, but that doesn't really work here - since that program was the active window and Music Creator was inactive.

9 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Using an ordinary computer keyboard as a MIDI input device? 2013/06/07 15:30:10 (permalink)
    Apparently, it's possible but not very convenient.

Google or Bing search that phrase in your title.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    trimph1
    Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re: Using an ordinary computer keyboard as a MIDI input device? 2013/06/07 18:10:53 (permalink)
    I'd try for any other method but keyboard really...I done that for a few months and it were not pretty let me tell you!!

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    Jürgen Hubert
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Using an ordinary computer keyboard as a MIDI input device? 2013/06/07 22:58:41 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Unfortunately, most of these solutions don't really work with Music Creator, as they open up a separate, active window while Music Creator becomes inactive.
    trimph1
    I'd try for any other method but keyboard really...I done that for a few months and it were not pretty let me tell you!!

It's only a temporary solution. Really, if I knew that any of the hardware stores in my city had reasonably-priced MIDI keyboards I'd get a replacement today. But unfortunately, it looks like I would need to order them, and thanks to my vacation I don't have the time for that.
    post edited by Jürgen Hubert - 2013/06/07 23:00:51
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Using an ordinary computer keyboard as a MIDI input device? 2013/06/07 23:05:11 (permalink)
    Jürgen Hubert
    Guitarhacker

Unfortunately, most of these solutions don't really work with Music Creator, as they open up a separate, active window while Music Creator becomes inactive.
    trimph1

It's only a temporary solution. Really, if I knew that any of the hardware stores in my city had reasonably-priced MIDI keyboards I'd get a replacement today. But unfortunately, it looks like I would need to order them, and thanks to my vacation I don't have the time for that.

Most Cakewalk products have a setting that allows the DAW to continue to function even though it has lost focus. It is usually a checkbox in the Preferences Audio Playback and Recording settings that reads something like "Share Drivers with Other Programs" That option needs to be unchecked.
    post edited by scook - 2013/06/07 23:07:46
    spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Using an ordinary computer keyboard as a MIDI input device? 2013/06/07 23:16:34 (permalink)
    Don't you have Piano Roll View in Music Creator  6? Then you only need a mouse to enter notes and can change values with some of the other views, or just enter notes in the Event List (I think since I am guessing since I have not done MIDI in a long time) View.

Of course if you have no sound module to play the sounds you have to use Microsoft Soft Synth in the MIDI section of Windows Sound Applet and have that play the music, if not connecting to an external sound module  (or keyboard that will play the sounds).

Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re: Using an ordinary computer keyboard as a MIDI input device? 2013/06/21 08:49:00 (permalink)
    As far as a inexpensive keyboard goes I have an M-Audio 49. ( it is not the oxegen seris I know that..) It has some sliders, knobs, pitch and bend wheels, transpose but NO After touch....rats!!

but still....it does everything I want, it stands up you my playing and it was like $65 bucks or so at Banjo Center around Christmas time and I made the purchase about 7 years ago.....

Would I like to have a bigger model? Yep....can I afford one?.....maybe......do I need one or can I justify purchasing a new one?.......NO......this one serves the purpose.....

Just a suggestion......there is cheap.......and there is inexpensive.....and there is  a difference......

Just saying
    Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Using an ordinary computer keyboard as a MIDI input device? 2013/06/21 08:53:05 (permalink)
    Agreed... I have seen brand new keyboards in the music stores for around $65 or so.... hit a few yard sales on a Saturday morning.....I'll bet you can pick one up for much less.... just be sure it has the midi port (5 pin din) or a USB port on it and you're good to go. Negotiate your best price.

Everybody has one of those things in their closet or garage or attic if they have kids..... just about guarantee it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re: Using an ordinary computer keyboard as a MIDI input device? 2013/06/21 13:42:50 (permalink)
    Herb
    I absolutely agree 100% with you on this.

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    esv
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Using an ordinary computer keyboard as a MIDI input device? 2013/07/31 12:28:18 (permalink)
    I was having exactly this same issue. A computer keyboard isn't as good as a full MIDI keyboard, but having that feature enabled would come in handy when you don't have any other choice available.

I spent quite a good amount of time trying to find out some solutions for this, but most recommendations I was finding were based on Trollo to capture the keystrokes and MIDI Yoke to reroute the virtual MIDI cables. And unfortunately, it seems that Trollo isn't available anymore and that MIDI Yoke won't install on my Windows 7 machine.

After some research, I finally found some alternative, free / open source software that got the job done and worked perfectly with Music Creator 6 Touch: VMPK as a virtual MIDI keyboard and loopMIDI as a virtual MIDI port rerouting solution.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1