AnsweredSonar X2 & Peavey Vypyr VIP1

Author
Colin Dyer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2013/06/07 19:34:12 (permalink)

Sonar X2 & Peavey Vypyr VIP1

I'm running Sonar X2 Producer (build 306) with the Roland Duo-Capture EX interface and I'm trying to record using my new Peavey Vypyr VIP1 guitar amp.  I plugged it in (directly to my computer) last night and it was immediately recognized by Sonar as a MIDI input/output (it's also showing under my computer's recording devices, by the way, as a microphone).  I want to record its audio though, not MIDI.  Also, nothing I did with it registered on MIDI (and, yes, I have it selected as a MIDI device input/output).

Since my interface doesn't have a USB input and the VIP1 doesn't have a 1/4" or XLR output, how can I get Sonar to recognize the VIP1 as an audio device?  (I've heard of the work around to use a headphone to 1/4" adapter, but I'd rather not).

UPDATE:
Thanks for the help, guys.  Selecting a different audio driver (other than ASIO) allowed me to select the Vypyr as an input.  However, it said that the Vypyr was in use by another program and I can't for the life of me figure any other program that would be using the Vypyr.

It's a shame that I have to do the headphone work around in order to use this.  Part of me thinks that the USB interface might be better quality than the headphone to 1/4 inch to Duo-Capture, but I agree completely about the latency.  And, by the way, I'm not having any problems monitoring through my Duo-Capture.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Computer:
      Dell XPS 8500
      Computer Type                                     ACPI x64-based PC
      Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 8
      Internet Explorer                                 10.0.9200.16580
      DirectX                                           DirectX 11.0
    Motherboard:
      CPU Type                                          QuadCore Intel Core i7-3770, 3833 MHz (39 x 98)
      Motherboard Name                                  Dell XPS 8500  (3 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 1 Mini-PCIE, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
      Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Panther Point H77, Intel Ivy Bridge
      System Memory                                     12 GB DDR3-1600
      DIMM1: SK Hynix HMT325U6CFR8C-PB                  2 GB DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM  (11-11-11-28 @ 800 MHz)  (10-10-10-27 @ 761 MHz)  (9-9-9-24 @ 685 MHz)  (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz)  (7-7-7-19 @ 533 MHz)  (6-6-6-16 @ 457 MHz)
      DIMM2: Nanya NT4GC64B8HG0NF-DI                    [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      DIMM3: SK Hynix HMT325U6CFR8C-PB                  [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      DIMM4: Nanya NT4GC64B8HG0NF-DI                    [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      BIOS Type                                         Unknown ([~|ÉB‡…)

Display:
      Video Adapter                                     NVIDIA GeForce GT 640  (1 GB)
      3D Accelerator                                    nVIDIA GeForce GT 640
      Monitor                                           Dell 2005FPW (Digital)  [20" LCD]  (N236342I62XL)
      Monitor                                           LG W1952 (Analog)  [19" LCD]  (181074170)

Multimedia:
      Audio Adapter                                     Intel Panther Point HDMI @ Intel Panther Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [C-1]
      Audio Adapter                                     nVIDIA HDMI/DP @ nVIDIA GK107 - High Definition Audio Controller
      Audio Adapter                                     Realtek ALC887 @ Intel Panther Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [C-1]

Storage:
      IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
      Storage Controller                                Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
      Disk Drive                                        Generic- Compact Flash USB Device
      Disk Drive                                        Generic- MS/MS-Pro USB Device
      Disk Drive                                        Generic- SD/MMC USB Device
      Disk Drive                                        Generic- SM/xD-Picture USB Device
      Disk Drive                                        SSD9SC120GCDA  (111 GB)
      Disk Drive                                        WDC WD10EZEX-75ZF5A0  (1000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-III)
      Optical Drive                                     TSSTcorp DVD+-RW SH-216BB  (DVD+R9:12x, DVD-R9:12x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
      SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
      C: (NTFS)                                        111 GB (41.3 GB free)
      D: (NTFS)                                         918.4 GB (859.1 GB free)

Peripherals:
      Printer                                           Fax
      Printer                                           HP Deskjet 1000 J110 series
      Printer                                           Microsoft XPS Document Writer
      Printer                                           Send To OneNote 2010
      FireWire Controller                               VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller (PHY: VIA VT6307)
      USB2 Controller                                   Intel Panther Point PCH - USB 2.0 EHCI Controller #1 [C-1]
      USB2 Controller                                   Intel Panther Point PCH - USB 2.0 EHCI Controller #2 [C-1]
      USB3 Controller                                   Intel Panther Point PCH - USB 3.0 xHCI Controller [C-1]
      USB Device                                        Dell Wireless 1703 Bluetooth
      USB Device                                        DUO-CAPTURE EX
      USB Device                                        Launchkey 49
      USB Device                                        VYPYR USB Interface
      USB Device                                        VYPYR USB Interface
post edited by Colin Dyer - 2013/06/16 05:15:18
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Sonar X2 & Peavey Vypyr VIP1 2013/06/07 19:39:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Colin Dyer 2013/06/16 05:12:54
Comes up often, different devices same problem. The ASIO specification only allows one audio input/output device at a time. You can either use your Roland interface or the Peavey but not both at the same time. Deselect the Roland and the Peavey should show up. If the devices support a driver mode other than ASIO you might be able to use them both at the same time.
gcolbert
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1176
Re: Sonar X2 & Peavey Vypyr VIP1 2013/06/08 09:39:02 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Colin Dyer 2013/06/16 05:13:16
Your issue here is going to be getting everything working together without having to deal with a bunch of latency issues.  The earlier Peavey USB designs were not adequate for recording.  They may have fixed this in the VIP series.  You can test this by switching to WDM/KS node in Sonar and performing a Wave Profiler.  If your VIP shows up as both an audio input and an audio output device you may be able to use your Vypyr for direct recording.

Your best bet for your setup is to get a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter plug/cable and take the Vypyr signal from your headphone output on the Vypyr to a 1/4 inch input on your DuoCapture. Then use the headphone out on the DuoCapture to monitor while you are recording.

This setup will give you the best performance from a latency perspective as well as allowing you to use the higher bit/sample rate capability of the DuoCapture (instead of Peavay's lower quality settings).  You my need to play around with how you connect the Vypyr headphone if you need to listen to the amplifier (see the Peavey Vypyr forum for some suggestions on doing this), but you should be able to monitor properly through your DuoCapture without having to bailing wire your Vypyr output.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1