Using midi CC coming from a vst for automation in X2?

Author
Spencer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
2013/06/08 14:41:50 (permalink)

Using midi CC coming from a vst for automation in X2?

Hey. I'm possibly being a noob here, but I can't figure out how that would work. I have LFOTool, a VST effect that I run as a synth so I can play it with my midi keyboard (though that's not relevant with my question). This vst can send midi CC (you can select the CC number it sends out) for automation purposes. Automatic automation if you will. I'd like to use it to directly control filters (and such) from other synths. But the only way I know to use CC to control things, is via the ACT interface. Obviously, being a VST, LFOTool does not show up in the ACT input menu. Anyone knows how I could set up such a routing? If that's possible at all in sonar... normally there should be a way. Haven't found info on that anywhere. Cheers.

edit- my best guess, which was setting a macro knob for the parameter I want to automate with a remote control for the CC number, and enabling automation write in the automation lane for that parameter, sadly doesn't work.
post edited by Spencer - 2013/06/08 14:57:01
swamptooth
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2229
Re: Using midi CC coming from a vst for automation in X2? 2013/06/08 16:18:59 (permalink)
EDIT - MY BAD... was thinking of a diff plugin
this doesn't work in realtime in lfo tool. 
you assign a cc in the bottom left this lets you drag the shape that's controlling the cutoff to a midi track. doesn't do it automatically.  

hth 
post edited by swamptooth - 2013/06/08 16:54:47

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

Spencer
Re: Using midi CC coming from a vst for automation in X2? 2013/06/08 22:06:50 (permalink)
thanks, but, I still don't get it. after entering any cc number in the lfotool, and making sure the cutoff slider is set to 100 in LFO routing, I drag the "export a midi file" thing into a midi track, which just creates an empty midi clip. sending the output of this midi track into the synth I want to automate doesn't do anything. the new empty midi clip is at minimal length, but making it longer doesn't help. how would the target synth know that cc25 would be supposed to automate a specific parameter anyway? this is where I'm a bit lost.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Using midi CC coming from a vst for automation in X2? 2013/06/08 22:20:25 (permalink)
Most synths have a ways to bind controllers to parameters. You have to tell the synth what to do with the incoming controller data.
Spencer
Re: Using midi CC coming from a vst for automation in X2? 2013/06/08 22:45:15 (permalink)
Trying to use the MIDI learn function on my synth's knob just records cc0 (or cc7 during playback if I have midi notes playing, as usual), not the cc25 I chose in lfotool, even if my empty midi track created by lfotool is sent to the synth's input... Probably because there isn't much to direct the lfotool's cc25 into this specific synth? It just happens to be in the synth's audio track fx bin, but that's apparently not enough. Scratching my head by now.
scook
Forum Host
Re: Using midi CC coming from a vst for automation in X2? 2013/06/08 22:55:23 (permalink)
I do not have lfotool but the effects that I have that send MIDI data to a synth usually sit in an fx bin on an audio track that is not part of the the synth's output. The effects are not effecting the synth's audio directly, they are driving some aspect of the synth. As far as the synth knob only responding to certain controllers, that sounds like a programming limitation of the softsynth.
Spencer
Re: Using midi CC coming from a vst for automation in X2? 2013/06/09 10:42:44 (permalink)
hmm. after having no luck with massive's midi learn, I loaded up z3ta, which lets me select manually the CC that lfotool is supposed to be sending out on my cutoff slider. still nothing, though. midi learning on z3ta also won't pick up my cc.

@swamptooth you have any success controlling synths with the cc output? got any idea about what I'm missing in my routing?

The manual states, in regards to ableton: "On your desired destination track, you need to select “MIDI From” and pick the track containing LFOTool (1-Audio in the case here). If the source track containing LFOTool is a MIDI track (instrument) You may need to select LFOTool in 2nd rectangle below, as shown. Lastly, you must enable Monitor “IN” so the destination track will listen to MIDI from LFOTool."

So in sonar, my "destination" synth has 2 tracks, one audio in which I have to leave the synth output in the input field to get any sound, and a midi track in which I don't see lfotool in the input field, there's only my midi keyboard. this is where I'm missing something I believe
scook
Forum Host
Re: Using midi CC coming from a vst for automation in X2? 2013/06/09 11:07:02 (permalink)
Is this a case where the plug-in needs the generateEvents set to 1 in the registry? If so, you would need to edit the registry for the VST inventory entry.
Spencer
Re: Using midi CC coming from a vst for automation in X2? 2013/06/09 12:22:10 (permalink)
unfortunately not as changing this registry value causes sonar to insta-crash upon inserting the lfotool or opening a project that has one in it.
swamptooth
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2229
Re: Using midi CC coming from a vst for automation in X2? 2013/06/09 20:47:18 (permalink)
Spencer
thanks, but, I still don't get it. after entering any cc number in the lfotool, and making sure the cutoff slider is set to 100 in LFO routing, I drag the "export a midi file" thing into a midi track, which just creates an empty midi clip. sending the output of this midi track into the synth I want to automate doesn't do anything. the new empty midi clip is at minimal length, but making it longer doesn't help. how would the target synth know that cc25 would be supposed to automate a specific parameter anyway? this is where I'm a bit lost.

i dl'd the lfo tool demo, because i've been wanting to try it out, and had the same experience.  got the lfo cc to drag onto a track once, but when i delete it and drag a new shape i get the result you have.  lfo tool doesn't allow you to "enable midi output" in sonar when you reclassify it as a synth which is part of the problem.  i just tried it in ableton live - got it to work twice, but it crashed it twice as well.  
even with fx or synths that send cc information, sonar does not handle them well.  i usually just design my own tools in reaktor for this sort of thing.  if you have 2 or more running on discrete channels and cc numbers, sonar will combine all the cc data into one stream which is a real workflow killer.  i have a vid of the problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Pf1b6bTk8

@scook - what fx do you use for this type of thing?? i'm always looking for new toys!

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

scook
Forum Host
Re: Using midi CC coming from a vst for automation in X2? 2013/06/09 20:55:00 (permalink)
The most recent experience that I have had with a plug-in that generates MIDI data is Jam Origin MIDI Guitar.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1