Solved - How To Question - Dimension Pro - how to get an LFO to work

Author
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
2013/06/19 02:31:29 (permalink)

Solved - How To Question - Dimension Pro - how to get an LFO to work

I've played with the FX section and can get a bit of LFO there, but that's not what I'm going for.  The bottom section that has the LFO patterns, but I can't figure out how to get any LFO to turn on and effect the sound.

I've started with a single element and am just trying to experiment with getting some LFO on it.

How does one get it going in Dimension Pro?
post edited by lawajava - 2013/06/20 01:25:25

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.

12 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: How To Question - Dimension Pro - how to get an LFO to work 2013/06/19 04:26:57 (permalink)
    Each element has an LFO for pitch, cutoff, resonance, pan, and amplitude

Click an Element button
    Click a Modulators button
    Turn the LFO on by clicking the LFO Status field.

Step through the LFO waveforms by clicking/right-clicking in the waveform box or click above the box for a menu.

The parameters are described in the help file.

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: How To Question - Dimension Pro - how to get an LFO to work 2013/06/19 21:32:09 (permalink)
    To add to scook's reply:

One common mistake is to leave the LFO Depth at 0.  Another one is to leave the 'master' modulator OFF or at settings where the LFO will be inaudible.

For example:  Cut or Reso LFOs won't be effective without a Filter enabled.  Even then, if the Cutoff knob is at the default 22,350 Hz., you won't hear much of the LFO influence.  LFOs modulate above and below where the target parameter's main configuration settings are.  Select a 'deeper' filter, bring the Cutoff knob to the midway point, and the LFO action will become more obvious.

It's always easiest to start with Pitch, or a centered Pan control.  Then enable an LFO status, give it a healthy amount of Depth, and listen to the results of the current waveform and rate.  From there, the knowledge is transferrable to the other Modulators and remaining LFO parameters.
    lawajava
    Re: How To Question - Dimension Pro - how to get an LFO to work 2013/06/19 23:09:29 (permalink)
    b rock - pardon my ignorance on this, I'm really try to learn this on Dimension Pro. I've watched YouTube tutorials on Dimension Pro and the SWA Dimension Pro tutorial and while I learned various things about Dimension Pro no one explained (by demonstrating a sound) how to use the LFO functionality.

i can't get it to work and I'm confused. In Dimension Pro in the Elements section there are some filters and there's a line for FX which has a couple of options to pick an Effect, some choices (a couple) light up the LFO dials. One of those is Detune for example. I don't get why there are LFO dials in FX when the section below that has the ASDR has LFO parameters as well. In any case I can't get this LFO section in the FX area to do much. But assuming that's not the main area for LFO tweaking I then look at the ASDR section.

The LFO patterns are there. I click LFO on. I increase the various number values below. I get nothing LFO wise.

Do I have to draw lines in the middle section or something? I really want to figure this out.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: How To Question - Dimension Pro - how to get an LFO to work 2013/06/19 23:35:46 (permalink)
    There is an LFO in the FX area, it only acts on the effect. I believe you want to work with the LFOs in the Modulators section just below the FX section.

There are 5 buttons in the Modulator section, one each for pitch, cutoff, resonance, pan, and amplitude. You can have envelope generators and LFOs for each one of the buttons in the modulator sections.These are the LFOs that I and B Rock wrote about. Each Element has it's own modulator section.

As B Rock suggests start with one of the more obvious LFOs like pitch or pan by selecting an Element and then the appropriate Modulator button. Then turn the LFO on by clicking next to Status. Crank up the depth clicking in the field next to Depth and drag up or down or use the mouse wheel and alter the Freq by clicking in the field next to Freq and adjust the value using the same method as Depth.

There is a help file, if the F1 key does not bring it up, the file is "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Documentation\Dimension.chm.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: How To Question - Dimension Pro - how to get an LFO to work 2013/06/19 23:39:42 (permalink)
    The lfo is just one section of the main panel, which is tabbed for vol, filter resonance and cut off, pitch, etc.  The main panel adjust the controllers for just one element.  I think you are confusing the fx page for an element's (voice) page.  You have to adjust the LFO(s) for each element and each tab on the main page.   There is no global LFO for pitch or filter cut off - Dimension is 4 separate synths bound through the same global fx section.  That is the easiest way to understand it.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    lawajava
    Re: How To Question - Dimension Pro - how to get an LFO to work 2013/06/20 00:28:09 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for your input.  I'm still stuck.  I know it's user error (mine).  This time when I'm typing my post I have Sonar open and Dimension Pro open.
    I'll describe what I have done and please advise what I'm not doing.

1. I have Empty in the Program at the top.
    2. In Element 1 I've picked a .wav sound - it's called epiano 01.wav
    3. In the quadrant under epiano01.wav I've adjusted none of the settings
    4. To the right, LOFI, Filter, Drive it's all off. I've done nothing there.
    5. The line with EQ1, EQ2, EQ3 I've left untouched, nothing on.
    6. The FX line, I have that off.
    7. Modulators, where I expect to test the LFO:
    a. Under EG, Status is set to On
    b. Depth is 100
    Vel is 0
    Vel time is 0
    VelTrack is 90

The AMP button is selected (from Pitch, Cut, Reso, Pan, Amp)

The middle graph area is empty.
    The LFO graph section is set to graph 1
    The horizontal bar below is untouched, steady across the middle
    The LFO setting is On
    Freq is 1.4
    Sync is 1/2
    Delay is .22
    Fad is .15
    Depth is .80

Mix at the botton is On for Element 1
    FX 1 and FX 2 are off.  Pan is in the middle volume is like 80%

No LFO.  Just a steady signal when I play.  Do I have to record and playback to hear the LFO?

I just do not hear any LFO at all.  What am I missing?

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: How To Question - Dimension Pro - how to get an LFO to work 2013/06/20 00:45:26 (permalink)
    The depth may be to subtle. Don't worry about the EG settings

Try these settings
    Click the Pitch modulator
    Click LFO status on
    Set Depth to 100
    post edited by scook - 2013/06/20 01:16:44
    lawajava
    Re: How To Question - Dimension Pro - how to get an LFO to work 2013/06/20 01:29:26 (permalink)
    scook - that helped.  Yes, I heard it. 

I then tried cranking up the Depth (which is not an obvious field to crank up) on the other modulators.  I put them all to what appeared to be the max value.  I heard LFO on Pitch and on AMP, but not on Cut, Reso, or Pan.

Don't know what's up with those.

But I think it's solved in that I can at least get an LFO to show up in Dimension Pro (at my request).  It shows up plenty in many of the presets of course.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: How To Question - Dimension Pro - how to get an LFO to work 2013/06/20 11:39:43 (permalink)
    Keep chugging.  It will come to you.  Of course the settings for the filters need to be enabled and set so rez and cut off can be heard.  That is in a separate module.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    lawajava
    Re: How To Question - Dimension Pro - how to get an LFO to work 2013/06/20 21:59:18 (permalink)
    AT - the Rez filters you're referring to - are those the ones at the top of the screen, or in the Envelope Generator section?

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: How To Question - Dimension Pro - how to get an LFO to work 2013/06/20 22:12:06 (permalink)
    Filter Section at top right next to Drive Section. Also take note of B Rock's comment from above

b rock

Cut or Reso LFOs won't be effective without a Filter enabled.  Even then, if the Cutoff knob is at the default 22,350 Hz., you won't hear much of the LFO influence.  LFOs modulate above and below where the target parameter's main configuration settings are.  Select a 'deeper' filter, bring the Cutoff knob to the midway point, and the LFO action will become more obvious.

post edited by scook - 2013/06/20 22:17:44
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: How To Question - Dimension Pro - how to get an LFO to work 2013/06/21 07:07:58 (permalink)
    scook
    There is a help file, if the F1 key does not bring it up, the file is "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Documentation\Dimension.chm".

I believe this file has to be renamed to "Dimension_Pro.chm" for it to appear with the F1 key within DimPro.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1