New user with a few questions

Author
Boltz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2013/07/20 19:12:16 (permalink)

New user with a few questions

I recently bought MC6 through Steam. I've spent about 9 hours in the program and still have not recorded a single note. I'm finding it hard to get a straight answer on how to record what I play on the provided Synth as I have no external keyboard or instruments.

My main question is this: Is it possible to even use this program to make music without having an external MIDI keyboard etc.? For instance, if I want to make something one note at a time from the sound center is this possible?

Every time I bring up the installed Synth (Cakewalk Sound Center) and play sound through it, I can't get it to record anything I play. I change settings and try again and same result every time. I really want to create music in my free time but am completely stuck and lost and frustrated.

I know there are programs out there that allow you to use what is in the software to make music and that is what I thought I was getting here. According to the videos and tutorials I've watched (both from users -and- Cakewalk) I am doing everything they tell me to do, and still does not work in the slightest. Either things are getting left out or I am completely missing something? Surely you have to be able to record off of the Synth you play in the program yes? Or are you just expected to use their loops to make rigged and un-original music?

So as a quick summary....I don't own any real instruments and do not want to. I want to make music from within this program without the use of anything else but the program I purchased. Is......this.....possible.......? 

Windows 7
Music Creator 6 Touch (Steam)
I believe the sound card is just an integrated one. VIA HD or something.
post edited by Boltz - 2013/07/20 19:15:30

7 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: New user with a few questions 2013/07/20 19:22:37 (permalink)
    Boltz

My main question is this: Is it possible to even use this program to make music without having an external MIDI keyboard etc.?

Yes, MIDI can be sequenced by using the Piano Roll View, the Staff View or the Step Sequencer. While you can make the synth sound by using the mouse, it is for audition purposes not for recording. A MIDI controller can make sequencing a lot easier but is not necessary.
    Boltz
    Re: New user with a few questions 2013/07/20 20:20:57 (permalink)
    So, can you give me any kind of information on how to record whatever I play on there? I have tried different settings and either the Track 1 record button disappears when I get sound to come through it, or the button reappears but no recording takes place.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: New user with a few questions 2013/07/20 20:51:32 (permalink)
    You will not be able to record MIDI data without an input device. If you do not have a MIDI controller you will have to enter the MIDI data with the Piano Roll View, the Staff View or the Step Sequencer.
    Boltz
    Re: New user with a few questions 2013/07/20 21:07:04 (permalink)
    So I've been playing with the sequencer and half the time it doesn't even play all of the notes. Also, can I not get whatever plays in there to a track to stay without having to have the sound center open specifically for that? Surely there is an easier way to do this haha. 
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: New user with a few questions 2013/07/20 21:19:51 (permalink)
    If MIDI notes are being dropped adjust the playback buffers in Preferences > MIDI > Playback and Recording "Prepare using nnn millisecond buffers."  Many find the default 0f 250 too low, try setting the value to 500 or higher.
    Boltz
    Re: New user with a few questions 2013/07/21 17:44:20 (permalink)
    Well I appreciate those tips, they have helped out a bit! I've been playing with the sequencer a bit and trying to make some music a block at a time :P

I am wondering, is there a way to make the notes in the sequencer longer? As if you were to hold in the key on a keyboard instead of just tapping it? Since I can't "record" those keystrokes I would like to make them shorter/longer here and there.  

post edited by Boltz - 2013/07/23 15:35:28
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: New user with a few questions 2013/07/26 09:26:45 (permalink)
    Yes...and no....

Yes, you can build quite elaborate musical compositions using a mouse to enter one note at a time into staff or PRV ... of course it does take time and a fairly decent working knowledge of musical theory and composition is really helpful.

No, you can not hit record, and then mouse in the notes and have them recorded. Nor can that be done using the on screen keyboard. To record midi in real time, you must use some sort of midi controller or a keyboard style synth plugged in to the computer or interface.

Once you have a note in the sequencer, you are either in PRV or staff view. If the note is wrong or needs editing, in PRV you can click and drag it, and grab the tail end to drag it out longer or shorter. Up and down is just as easy.
    In STAFF, ... simply right click the note and a note property window opens where you can edit all the values for the note..... in staff you can also drag the note (as is) in time and pitch..  R or L... up or down.... in the scale and key you're in.

I like to use a dedicated musical keyboard..... however, I have heard a number of very well composed songs, mostly symphonic/orchestral in nature, which the composers claim were composed one note at a time, one track at a time, all manually with a mouse in Staff or PRV. I can take quite a bit of time and dedication to do it that way. But it is totally possible.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1