Bouncing Question

Author
berlymahn
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 257
2013/07/31 21:16:08 (permalink)

Bouncing Question

Is there a way to bounce a number of tracks to a single track?  For example, when I select 5 tracks and select bounce to track, it bounces to 5 tracks. (I only had a single track to bounce to).... I just want to 5 to bounce to the one....

Jim Wim  
On Soundcloud as: Dammit Eugene / Scenic Mental Detours / Narrow Now
https://soundcloud.com/dammit-eugene/tracks

18 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/07/31 21:23:49 (permalink)
    Point the tracks to a bus
    Bounce the bus
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/01 05:43:01 (permalink)
    The real question is why do you want to do this?

It's easy enough to do, as scook points out. There at least a couple of other ways to get there, but I'm curious as to why this is needed?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/01 06:02:20 (permalink)
    Select the tracks and range of time you want to bounce.
    Within Track View, Click the Tracks Menu and choose Bounce to Tracks.

You can bounce different things
    -Tracks
    -Buses
    -Main Outs
    -Entire Mix

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Pragi
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/01 06:33:09 (permalink)
    I agree with gswitz ,
    select the 5 tracks, range of time,sure stereo, no dither and "the whole mix"(FX and busses if you like),
    64 bit engine if you need the best quality:
    Sonar only is bouncing the 5 tracks to one stereo( or if you like mono) track.
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/01 07:24:35 (permalink)
    I have done this before, per gswitz's suggestion above.

As to the WHY I did it, I had a guitar player put a bunch of clips on a bunch of tracks, where the song he was recording was a cover of a progressive tune that had a BUNCH of time signature changes.  To make a long story short, it was easier for me to bounce all of his clips into a single one, and then I could perform the time signature analysis and insert all of the meter changes.  I would never imagine performing that type of bounce thinking to use it for anything as 'production ready'.

I don't why anyone else would want to do this type of bounce, but since it looks like someone does, I would point them to the suggestion made by gswitz.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/01 07:51:38 (permalink)
    Well, what if you want to mark a point in time to see if you are improving or messing up your track?

After Day 1 bounce to tracks your current version.
    After Day 2 do it again.
    After Day 3 do it again.

Now you can A/B all the different versions.

Honestly, I think there are lots of reasons to do it. Saving processing power is the oldest reason to do it. Once it's been rendered, you can listen without having to apply all of the FX you were using before... you could apply more FX or whatever. Sure, if you have a good PC this doesn't matter much.

How about this... when I bounce out a 4 hour recording, bouncing each tune using bounce to tracks, I end up with an additional track with short clips for each tune. I can visually see the tunes in the navigator and scroll around the project using the navigator. After bouncing the whole recording, I can go back and to it all again changing the EQ on the guitar. I can make a global change, re-bounce and burn then listen in my car when I'm commuting, saving me time.

I can come home and make more tweaks to the EQs - rebounce the mix to a 3rd mixed down track and call the artists over to listen and A/B the recordings so she can choose her favorite or we can talk about the differences and what other tweaks might improve the recordings.

Before it's over, I return to listening to each tune all the way through, adjusting settings for each tune, and then, yes, bounce to tracks again. Why not?

And when it's all over, if I don't want to keep all those rough drafts... Delete, delete, delete.

So what harm does it cause?

Using Sonar to mix and having an unlimited amount of time to tweak, prompts the question 'what do I want it to sound like?' I find myself saying, 'show me every way it could sound and I'll pick one' haha. And then, during the real performance, I apply some of the things I've learned using Sonar (try to anyway) and see how it sounds live - vocal compression - eq - mains compression - verbs (on what and how much).

Jonesey, I'm not trying to be a pain. I guess I'm answering for me, and you weren't asking me. Ha ha. The answer the OP gives could provide an opportunity for you to teach him something important. I guess I'm responding because your post made it sound like there was NO legit reason to Bounce To Tracks, and I took issue with that. You didn't say that in your post however. All you asked is WHY. I suppose there should always be a WHY for everything we do, and addressing the WHY might be more effective than addressing the HOW.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/01 10:13:12 (permalink)
    That's not a problem Geoff, I was just thinking that for me, I'd Export rather than Bounce if I wanted to listen to different mixes.

But we all have different workflows and ways of achieving the same thing.
    Luckily for us, Sonar is flexible enough to allow for this.

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    cparmerlee
    • Total Posts : 1153
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/14 23:38:36 (permalink)
    gswitz
    Select the tracks and range of time you want to bounce.
    Within Track View, Click the Tracks Menu and choose Bounce to Tracks.

You can bounce different things
    -Tracks
    -Buses
    -Main Outs
    -Entire Mix

This is not working for me.  Everything I try, I end up with a bounced track that shows the audio, but it is all silent.

I have 5 audio tracks coming out of SessionDrummer (kick, hihat, snare, crash, and ride).  I have done a little effects processing and I want to bounce all of that into one drum track, and then mute all the individual tracks.  But everything comes out blank.

I do have those drum tracks routed to a drums bus.  If I try to bounce only that bus, I get the message "No audio".  So I have been trying to do the procedure where you select a time range and then select all 5 of those drum audio tracks.  But I get nothing.  The bounce process does create a new audio track and there is a wave in it, but that wave is flat -- completely silent.

I think I could accomplish the same thing through File-Export.  But then I'd have to manually pull that back into the project and make sure I have the exported track aligned time-wise.  My understand is that is exactly what "bounce tracks" is supposed to do, without having to take it outside SONAR.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

===

On edit, this DOES work if I first freeze the SessionDrummer tracks.  I guess that makes sense, but it seems redundant.

post edited by cparmerlee - 2013/08/15 00:17:13

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
    OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
    Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
    michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/15 00:22:12 (permalink)
    If you are getting the message no audio then it is possibly because you only have the tracks highlighted that you want to bounce. You have to also select the synth audio out, not just the midi data tracks.

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/15 00:35:14 (permalink)
    Well that's weird, heh heh....I'm kind of tired, have just been on a fitness forum I frequent, came here, saw this post title and momentarily thought it was something to do with trampolines 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    cparmerlee
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/15 01:28:17 (permalink)
    michael japan
    If you are getting the message no audio then it is possibly because you only have the tracks highlighted that you want to bounce. You have to also select the synth audio out, not just the midi data tracks.

I only got the "no audio" message when I selected only the drums bus and no audio tracks.

I never selected the MIDI tracks.  When I selected the synth audio out tracks, it went through the full bounce operation without any error messages, but the resulting bounced track was silent.  If I freeze the synth before bouncing, then it creates a good bounce file.

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
    Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/15 01:42:27 (permalink)
    I think you should select all the drum MIDI- and audio tracks AND the bus, and select bus as the source.
    But I still think there should be no need to use a bus in order to bounce five tracks to one. I doubt that feature had been changed so much in X-series. I've bounced countless times my whole project to one stereo track inside the project. Unfortunately my DAW isn't in working order to be able to brush up my memory, just moved to a new place.
    Anyway, selecting both the MIDI- and audio tracks is necessary.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/15 04:15:08 (permalink)
    cparmerlee
    michael japan

I only got the "no audio" message when I selected only the drums bus and no audio tracks.

I never selected the MIDI tracks.  When I selected the synth audio out tracks, it went through the full bounce operation without any error messages, but the resulting bounced track was silent.  If I freeze the synth before bouncing, then it creates a good bounce file.

Freezing the synth will create the necessary audio wavs for you, negating the need for a subsequent bounce unless of course you want a stereo submix of just the drums

SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/15 09:49:47 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

Freezing the synth will create the necessary audio wavs for you, negating the need for a subsequent bounce unless of course you want a stereo submix of just the drums

+1

Freezing solves so many issues - can't recommend it enough. I usually freeze a synth with the effects baked in. The fewer synths and effects you have active, the less the cpu load and the everything goes way smoother.

laudem Deo
    SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/15 09:49:47 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

+1

Freezing solves so many issues - can't recommend it enough. I usually freeze a synth with the effects baked in. The fewer synths and effects you have active, the less the cpu load and the everything goes way smoother.

laudem Deo
    cparmerlee
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/15 10:44:00 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

Yes, I did want to boil the drums down to one track for simplicity.  Bounce to track works if you have already frozen the tracks you want to bounce.  But it doesn't seem to work on unfrozen tracks.  Maybe that is working as designed, but it sort-of misses the point of bouncing in the first place.

sonocrafters.com
    cparmerlee
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/15 10:46:32 (permalink)
    SuperG
    Freezing solves so many issues - can't recommend it enough. I usually freeze a synth with the effects baked in.

How do you do that?  When I click the freeze button, there are no options, and I don't think it includes the effects in the frozen WAV.

======

Never mind.  I found the Freeze Options.

post edited by cparmerlee - 2013/08/15 10:58:17

sonocrafters.com
    cparmerlee
    Re: Bouncing Question 2013/08/15 10:59:28 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    I think you should select all the drum MIDI- and audio tracks AND the bus, and select bus as the source.
    But I still think there should be no need to use a bus in order to bounce five tracks to one. I doubt that feature had been changed so much in X-series. I've bounced countless times my whole project to one stereo track inside the project. Unfortunately my DAW isn't in working order to be able to brush up my memory, just moved to a new place.
    Anyway, selecting both the MIDI- and audio tracks is necessary.

That did the trick.  I had been selecting only the audio output tracks and not the MIDI tracks.  Selecting both gives me exactly what I expected.  Thanks.

sonocrafters.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1